Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27441 - 03/05/20 09:00 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yeah, would be nice to rid the table of rotting mice. But won't be going up for a couple of months. Frost will be coming out of the ground soon and that makes for some really muddy rutted up travel to the camp. Am busy now anyway manning the WTA booth at the Milwaukee Sports Show. Besides, that table is in the low spot between a natural hillside and plowed snow. Used the zoom on the camera to capture that pic from about 30 ft away. If I were to accidentally slide into that void under the table, I'd be eating them mice till the snow melted!!

Frank.

#27443 - 03/08/20 09:05 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, hopefully a raven or something will find the mice carcasses and at least knock them off of the table. If you haven't already, now would be a good time to start the list for camp supplies. Better take another jug of bleach, green scrubbing pads, table cloth. Add a bottle of Spray Nine, heavy duty cleaner/degreaser too. I've never used Spray Nine on mouse residue, but it's good stuff.

You know, just looking at the camp, looks like it's sealed up tight around the windows and doors. It's on a concrete pad, how are the mice getting inside?

Liquid Nails or that spray foam stuff may eliminate the mice for good? Or are you catching the mice in the outhouse or another building?

#27444 - 03/08/20 06:55 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

The cabin is pretty much air tight. When all the windows are closed, you have to lean on the door to close it. No, these rodents came from the RV camper. Either inside, or outside near the wheels. I foamed all the small openings I could find where I thought they might be coming in.
However there are places in the camper where mice could have already built a nest. Under cabinets, in the wall cavities, etc. Got four traps set inside now, so might find mice in the traps when I return. I'll happily deal with any mess later, as long as I have properly evicted them.

Frank.

#27445 - 03/09/20 06:42 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Ok, I thought maybe I was missing something from the story.

You haven't said, did you get the new cast iron wood stove? I'm not familiar with that brand of stove, but I assume it'll have a flat surface where you can cook or at least warm up stuff. It'd be nice to keep a pot of water simmering, for washing up and all.

#27446 - 03/09/20 10:50 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Got the wood burner on the way up to camp. Managed to off load it with chain and pulley. (175#s) Vogelzang is a common name, made in China now. Will install when weather doesn't dictate wood heat. Will have to get used to adjusting the thing for comfortable temps, but if it just doesn't work out, I'll just put the barrel heater back in.

Frank.

#27447 - 03/09/20 02:13 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I think you will be well satisfied with that stove. Especially for the fact that you can cook on top of it.

#27448 - 03/09/20 02:30 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yup, and I believe I have that special kind of cast iron skillet that fits into the lid holes to cook in. I'll expect to burn a few meals and over heat the cabin until I master the damper control. I'll figure it all out.

Frank.

#27449 - 03/09/20 03:59 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
smile smile
Actually, you don't have a special skillet. All those old cast iron skillets were designed to fit in the eye of a stove. Miz and I cooked on a wood stove for ten years. We actually had an "eye" that was a series of concentric rings that would adapt to different size skillets. Pop the eye out, set the skillet in, and you'll have a hot skillet in a matter of minutes. Too hot? Take in off and move it to the edge of the stove. Fry your breakfast, and enjoy!!!

#27450 - 03/09/20 04:22 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Oh yeah, I can taste the spam and eggs already! I found the pan I thought I had. Wagner Ware of course. The pan sides actually hang down outside a touch past the bottom of the pan, forming a small lip. I thought it special for such a wood burner?? About eight inches in diameter at the bottom. Can't wait to scrutinize for compatibility.

Frank.

#27454 - 03/14/20 07:21 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Well, it's a nice looking stove. It's kind of hard for me to get a feel for the thing from just a picture, but it's not very big is it?

I'm just trouble shooting. Frank, you're a tall man, looks to me like you're going to be on your knees tending the firebox. Reading between the lines, I get the impression that you're not 100% sold on the stove either.

The first thing I'd try is setting the stove on 4, 8-inch solid cinder blocks. That should make it more comfortable to work with, but the bad side, you're not going to get as much heat on the floor. It's heavy enough, nobody is going to bump into it and knock it off.

Thinking about your camp, once it gets warm inside, it won't take much to keep it warm. And every time the door opens, out goes the hot air and the cold rolls in. I know that you've thought about this before and maybe it's a future project? But it wouldn't take much to frame up one of the porches and box it in. That would help with that blast of Arctic air and give you another 10 x 16' area. But, it's very nice now.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.