Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27424 - 02/24/20 09:45 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I used to be part of a fishing club that had a snow cooler. It was a hole in the ground with 4 mattresses as walls. In winter, someone would could up and fill it with snow and pack it down. With some straw and an insulated carpet on top, we had snow in August.

#27430 - 02/28/20 12:55 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I remember seeing pictures of the snow pit, never heard about it being lined with mattresses.

Above where I mentioned the old fridge sitting on the porch, they are just a cooler. Not plugged in and no electric. Just a place where you can keep stuff, mice can't get to it, and it'd need to get cold before stuff will freeze and bust. But you guys have a much colder winter than here where I live.

I know of other camps where they'll have a small generator sitting out back, with like a dog house built around it. More or less to muffle the noise.

I was out on a construction site not long ago, the guys had a piece of plywood leaned against their gasoline power air compressor. It was a small compressor, portable machine, that sheet of plywood made a world of difference, blocking the noise.

Sure beats standing there on top of the machine listening to the thing hammer all day.

But with a small generator, you could run stuff like a microwave or toaster or coffee pot. Charge up batteries. It all depends on what you call camping.

#27431 - 02/28/20 03:55 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I've got a 2500 watt generator/inverter at the ready. Use it to charge up my cordless screw guns, run the air compressor, or any corded tools I might need. But I'll never run the camp with it. When you can hear a man slide his hand in and out of his pants pocket, any motor noise is just that--NOISE!!!! I've worked around generators and air compressors hammering all day. And yes, the plywood does help, but it ain't gonna be needed in my camp. wink

Frank.

Edited by FLSH ETR (02/28/20 07:02 PM)

#27433 - 02/29/20 01:24 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Well, good. Nothing like peace and quiet.

Not sure, maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but I sure do appreciate quiet.

I like to listen to birds chirp and all, but it's nice to hear nothing. I can't hear that well anyway, when I hear a bird, it's nearby. I've been seeing robins out back for a week or so now. Spring is just around the corner.

#27434 - 02/29/20 11:22 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

We got another foot of snow the past 2 days. Judging by the trail I saw yesterday, it is up to a moose's belly. I have deer trails in the yard as the animals are hugging homes.

If you want quiet, winter will serve you. All that snow muffles sound.

#27435 - 02/29/20 01:43 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I hate to say anything, Knock on wood, we haven't had a foot of snow here in the valley this winter. Honestly, we've not had any winter. Some cold days, down below the teens, but it's been very mild. We are long overdue!

I've got a guy that comes over and farts around for me, he called that one morning that we did get a little dab of snow. Told him that I'll already pushed it out of the way. It was putting it down pretty good, for 3 or 4 hours, and that was it.

Here at work, I try to keep my sidewalk clean and all, I've only used salt and deicer 4 or 5 times this winter. We had snow flurries about all day yesterday, but just didn't amount to anything. We're below freezing now, but it's dry as a bone.

#27437 - 03/03/20 03:36 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
In keeping with the snowy theme of this thread, check out this pic. You're looking at the NE corner of a picnic table. I've been tossing mouse carcasses there, maybe four or five, thinking I'll grind them up on my next visit. Well the snows beat me to the visit. The sun doesn't shine much
there, but there seems to be either melting, or a visit from a snooping/sniffing critter. If a critter was there, it left the mice, as visible in the pic. The question is will decomposing mice create that much heat to melt out that much snow? Any 'rotologists' out there?

Frank.

#27438 - 03/03/20 06:53 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
We haven't even buried the grass with snow yet this season. It's getting warmer all the time.

#27439 - 03/04/20 11:49 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

We got 8 or 9 inches last night. It is a wet snow that is still coming down. While wet snows are pretty, they are a real pain to shovel and they are tough on the trees. It can be tough on the wires, too.

We've had snow fleas appear the past few days.

#27440 - 03/05/20 12:36 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

That is a good snow picture. I'm looking at the different streaks or layers, places where it's more or less dense. I'm not sure if it was all one snow, but a small temperature change and it'll be different.

It's none of my business or anything, but I think we need to get those mice off of the picnic table.

Dark objects absorb more heat from the sun than light colored objects. Notice the weed stems behind the table, I'm sure the wind has flicked them around and all, but even that little stem will absorb heat and melt snow. Now and then you'll see it in the woods, the timber will absorb enough heat to melt the snow around the trunk of the tree.

About the same as a log sticking up through pond ice. You've all seen the ice over a beaver's feed pile, that's the last place the ice freezes and the first place where it's rotten and unsafe to walk on.

I read about this years ago, I forget how many inches of snow that sunshine will penetrate. It's at least 8 or 10 inches. It may be feet?

If you'd really want to experiment, take a handfull of pocket change and sprinkle it out across the top of the snow on the picnic table. Melting through 20 inches of snow, it wouldn't surprise me if a Penny would move 6 inches or more from vertical.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.