Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27461 - 03/15/20 04:07 PM Coyote population stabilized?
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
On the "MB550" thread, Ric mentioned about the coyote population stabilizing. I have noticed what appears to be that scenario around my neck of the woods. This past fall, my Red Fox catch nearly equaled my Coyote catch. Coyote sign was very low, there were a couple with mange, and fox numbers were definitely up. I wonder if this is just a normal cycle--or are the two different canines learning to coexist?

#27463 - 03/16/20 08:59 AM Re: Coyote population stabilized? [Re: ron finewood]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Anecdotally...

When a new species colonizes a area they achieve an abnormally high population density. Contrary to popular opinion the availability of prey controls predator populations, not the other way around. This abnormally high population decimates the prey
population. Which in turn reduces the predators. Now the prey enters a period of time where there population's increase concurrently with the new species (coyotes). And we now have a new "stable" population, with it's normal fluctuation.

My Thoughts

Edit: corrected grammar

Edited by Ric (03/16/20 10:05 AM)

#27464 - 03/16/20 01:02 PM Re: Coyote population stabilized? [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Here again, this is an anecdotal observation. I do not believe there are quite as many coyotes in my neighborhood as there were 5 years ago. It seems as if when new species invade (or repatriate) they climb to very high levels, then fall back into some kind reduced level. I'll relate that to the Eurasian Lady Beetles that were introduced here 20 years ago. When that population exploded, you couldn't walk outside my house without them raining on you. True story: They were so bad at one time, that I could not fill my chainsaw with gas outdoors because the Ladybugs were falling into the gas tank! I swept a million of them up in my shop. (Yes 1,000,000 by virtual count.) We still have them, but this fall there were only two or three dozen scurrying about at any one time. I think the coyotes have followed the same basic pattern.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.