Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#27478 - 03/20/20 12:56 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

Loc: WV
Here's a look at how they work. When pulling the chain will slip through the loop and bite or cut into the log. The harder you pull the more it'll bite in. Those lag-screw looking things, "easy-outs", that's powerline hardware. Drive one in the side of your log, up 6 or 8 inches from the trunk of the tree, slip a 3/8's chain hook under the head and take off. With a 3 pound hammer you can drive it into any type of wood, with a 10" wrench it'll come right back out. Plus if you hook up short to your truck or whatever, the chain will stay up on top.

#27479 - 03/20/20 03:52 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I have a similar system on my ATV skidder. But it is a ring instead of the keyhole. I have a few of those hydro lag bolts. Good idea. Usually I just loop the chain around the log but the chain adds drag/friction.

We had a serious rain/melt day. Temps are supposed to drop quickly tonight and make everything an ice patch.

#27480 - 03/21/20 07:51 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

Those lag bolt things in the picture are 1/2 inch ones. I have some 3/8's too. Back when I had a real job, I remember pulling 55 and 60 foot utility poles, behind a pickup with just one half-inch "hard head". That was always in a pasture or on a decent road. Hooked up short, it'd skim right along.

Just pulling out firewood poles, behind a 4-wheeler or buggy, that would make a world of difference if you'd keep the chain up out of the dirt.

That keyhole hook thing that I have, we found it squished down in a hard packed road about 30 years ago. Just thinking, I've had it for at least 4 different vehicles. I've always kept it hanging on the shifter, but my new ride ain't got no shift stick. Now I'll probably lose it. But I'll tell you, the more you use that thing, the more you appreciate having one.

They make an even better chain hook for skidding logs, I have one of them too. Dad found it years ago. It should be in the workroom with my big coma-a-long.

#27481 - 03/22/20 08:05 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

Here's a link that shows the other type of chain hook. Very similar to the one Dad found. The nice thing about both of these different chain hooks, even if the hook ends up under the log, buried in the dirt or leaves, you can almost always get enough slack to unhook it.

https://store.chainsawr.com/collections/...sembly-3-8-x-10

We have folks here on the forum that make their living working timber. Look at the price, $80 for 10 feet of chain and a hook. At the end of the day, our local guys will drop their log chains on the ground, and park the back tire of the skidder on top of them. Just to keep them from walking off. If your timber cutting friends aren't doing the same, they should.

#27482 - 03/22/20 09:49 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Just as I'm just a hobby trapper, I'm just a hobby sawyer. Logging enough to keep the wood burner happy. Eighty bucks for a chain is way over kill in my world. Like using a .300 win mag on a whitetail.
Out of the woods and up the driveway. It don't get much better than that.

Frank.

#27486 - 03/23/20 06:06 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

I agree $80 for ten feet of chain and a hook is expensive. I found another place with the same type of hook and a cheaper grade of chain for $40, You can buy just the hook. The last time I was in that one saw shop, they had a box of the "keyhole" type hooks. I don't remember the price, probably 10 or $12 each. A regular 3/8's chain hook will cost $6 or $8 at the hardware store.

Once you use either type of the chain hooks we're talking about, you'll realize how much easier they make things. They come in really handy when a feller is out alone, you don't need to worry about the hook popping off about the time the chain comes tight. Or when you need to cock the vehicle around and get in a better spot. The hook will stay hooked till you take it off.

#27487 - 03/24/20 12:40 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
That keyhole thingy looks interesting. I'll have to keep my eye open for one. I had a 6' chain with hooks made at a Lowe's, or Home Depot, or some other big box store. It's my go to chain for skidding felled trees. I can usually wrap the chain twice around the log. If there is enough chain left after hooking it to itself, and I can get the mule (ATV/truck) close enough I'll short cinch it for hauling. If the tree is way in, I'll hook cables and chains to the little six footer. I even use that little chain manually for lifting one end of the log at a time to pile them out of the way. No bending over, but just lifting with your legs. Works slickery.

Frank.

#27488 - 03/25/20 12:27 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

I called our local hardware store, which is also a Stihl dealership, he knew what type of chain hooks I was asking about but they don't keep them in stock. The other hardware place here in town, didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Here's a link with just the hook, $10 each, not sure about shipping? https://www.myteeproducts.com/logging-chain-choker-hook.html

I'm not out cutting timber and skidding logs for a living either, but once you use these types of hooks a few times you'll realize just how smooth they work.

#27490 - 03/27/20 09:31 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Offline

Above we were talking about that one saw that I had with a 48" bar. Here are a couple of oak trees, down near the Lower Salt lick camera. That's my little pocket knife in the circle, I just stuck it into the tree for comparison. I'll guess the smallest tree at 36 inches breast high.

The timber on that property is being marked now, the last I heard 2 of 4 tracts had been marked. Taking everything from 17" and up, plus the pulp wood and junk timber.

#27491 - 03/28/20 04:30 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
When they log here, they take everything and scrap what they don't take. It is one heck of a mess once the machinery is gone.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.