Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#27513 - 04/05/20 11:40 AM 2020 Virus lockdown.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A week or so ago I noticed that the sky is no longer cluttered with jet streaks and vapor trails.

I've mentioned this before, but I own a small grocery store and I try to keep the shelves stocked up pretty good. You can't sell it if you don't have it. Anyway, these past 3 weeks or so, it's been difficult to get groceries. The warehouses just didn't have what we'd order.

From my viewpoint, things are getting back to somewhat normal. Not yet, but we're getting there. I mean as far as being able to get groceries. I'll open the store here in a couple of hours, 10am on Sunday. I've got bread, milk, eggs and the all important toilet paper. I've got a pretty good shelf full of butt wipes and paper towels now.

We've been going around the place every so often spraying and wiping down the door handles and all with bleach water. Washing our hands 100 times a day and trying to keep our distance. That's about all we can do. Hopefully warm weather will slow down the virus and everyone can get back to work soon.

How are you guys finding things?

#27514 - 04/05/20 02:31 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I remember that the skies were completely void of con-trails after 9-11.

But this enemy is much more powerful than the ones that attacked the Twin Towers -- far more powerful.

#27515 - 04/05/20 03:37 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
jarentz Online   content

Loc: central pa.
Yep!! I hope this comes to a good ending. My wife works in a hospital and hates to go to work.

#27516 - 04/05/20 05:20 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Those people are on the front lines. They need every bit of support they can get. STAY AT HOME!

#27517 - 04/05/20 09:24 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Everything is fairly normal here except for the social distancing.

Stores are well stocked except for yeast. There was a no eggs last week but that was resolved quickly. Gas is very inexpensive - but we don't need or use any. Our area is blocked off from the rest of the province as we have zero cases thus far. I can go about 60 km. in either direction on the highway before I hit a police road block. They will ask where I am going and why. The odds are that any reason, other than a medical trip out of town, is not a good reason.

Going to town and getting food is not a problem. Most stores are closed but the mail works fine. Liquor stores are open, beer is sold at corner grocers and there is no pot store in town but your mailman is now your dope delivery guy. So, if you torch a few, that is covered, too!

Fines for not respecting social distancing are $1000 plus $500 court costs for a first offense. It is $6000 for a second offense plus another $500 in costs.

This is a tough time of year every year. The melt makes the bush a no go zone. Bear season and fishing season will open in a month or so and the gov't said that they WILL open but you must respect the no go zones and social distancing.

To be honest, life has not changed much for the wife and I. We don't go to town often or see people, except for family, much. We do miss not having our weekly Sunday supper with our son, his girlfriend and their child. We also miss taking a drive and going for a coffee at Timmy's. We can still do that by using the drive through but we just don't. I have not gone to town in weeks and my wife goes once a week for food. That is normal for me, unless I need gas, but my wife would go shopping more often.

All of our family are still getting a salary and healthy. We are very lucky. We also have a provincial premier who is doing an excellent job. He also has a good team. Again, we are lucky.

Edited by musher (04/05/20 09:24 PM)

#27518 - 04/06/20 09:40 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

I forgot to add a few things that have changed. Lottery tickets are one. You must buy them online.

Another is that stores will not take cash. You must use a credit or debit card.

A "if you touch it, we expect you to buy it" policy is also in effect in the stores that are allowed to remain open.

Going into those stores, with the exception of large hardware and grocery stores, is almost a one at a time thing.

#27519 - 04/06/20 11:21 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, not since the 9/11 terror attacks have we had unmarked skies.

This is a stressful, uncertain time for all of us. There's just so much that we don't know. An invisible enemy.

I have several nurse friends, I know they are stressed. Overworked too. The one girl told me the other day: So far so good.

Here in WV, I think the whole month of April is free fishing for all residents. The state has been stocking some nice trout. Here's a Rainbow trout that a guy brought in yesterday, and asked me to fill out his Trophy Citation form. It was 9.55 pounds and 25.5 inches long. He had it packed in ice, that's why it's all faded out.

We've got a lot of folks around here that have lost their job, and not much to do. Spring gobbler season starts in about 2 weeks, if they want us to social distance, we'll be fanned out up in the mountains.

Talking about our money, that stuff is filthy.

I'll open up the store in about an hour, I'll spray the place down with bleach water first thing. And try to keep my distance. I've noticed that most customers try to keep their distance too.

#27520 - 04/06/20 02:47 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Myself I have mixed reactions to this event. Is it serious, certainly. Are all the measures enacted necessary, there is the rub. Corona virus have been studied for a long time. Scientists do have a base of knowledge to start with. Viral out breaks have a history and are predictable to a great extent.

The refusal of the general population to educate itself, though knowledgeable sources.I see as a major problem. Relying on the "experts" without knowing there credentials or agenda's and Government acting politically instead of actually governing.Are very high on my list also.
[we have had "First Death Weather" for a while a different topic has just been substituted]

There is so much that is not known, and WILL NOT be known until this outbreak has died down. That most decisions are being made by using models which can easily be manipulated.

An example,How often have you heard that this virus is X times more deadly than influenza. Well which influenza strain to start with and how do you determine a mortality rate with out knowing the actual number of people infected. Only answer is you can't. That answer will come in the future

That being said

Use common sense folks, Social distancing and personal hygiene are very important.

The Steelhead are running and it's a beautiful day, so I'm going fishing

Below is a link to the last Smallpox out break which was in New York City, I found it to be a interesting read

Last Small Pox Out Break

#27521 - 04/07/20 12:52 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

We have our first confirmed case in town.

It is a small town. If the person went anywhere, and you go anywhere, then you went to the same spot.

Let's hope that the infected person was just back from a trip, immediately went home on self quarantine, and developed symptoms.

#27522 - 04/07/20 11:36 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I think West Virginia was the last state in the country to report a confirmed case of corona virus. We knew it was coming and more or less expected it. The Hardy County Sheriff's office put out a memo last week that we had a confirmed case, here in the county. I think we're up to 3 cases now. Give or take the population of Hardy Co. is 10,000.

The world is a small place today. It's just like here at the store, I've got delivery folks from Virginia, Maryland and PA. I've got customers that work down around D. C. I've got a truck driver that runs to Texas and or Florida about every week.

I just skimmed through the news headlines, it seems that things are starting to calm down. Hopefully, everyone can get back to work before long. It sure has caused a big disruption of lifestyle.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.