Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#27622 - 05/21/20 06:03 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's my Pepsi order man, Mickey. He lives over in the next county and one of the guys I depend on for a deer and game report.

Happy birthday again Frank. Take a good look at your birthday card, I've picked on you enough. (I hope things are going good with that Million Dollar bumper sticker campaign.)

Above we talked about folks being unrecognized and/or not appreciated. These are my trash guys, that's Wilbert on the driver's side of the bench, I forget his copilot's name. They're both good guys, out doing their job and haven't skipped a beat during this virus. They put on a lot of miles every week, I get reports from them for game, road conditions and all else.

#27623 - 05/21/20 10:42 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Smooth. I love your guys. Old fart, huh? Well, old is just an attitude. Currently I'm as young as I'll ever be. I'm comfortable with that. And fart? Ahh, the lingering reminder of what was some great food and drink. Growing old is natural. Growing up is optional. I'm never gonna grow up, you big poopie heads! grin grin

Frank.

#27624 - 05/22/20 07:38 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I do have some good people, that's about everyone.

Talked to the guy from the health department again yesterday, everyone at the local nursing homes are good to go. Staff and residents, hopefully it stays that way.

Thinking about our trash guys, imagine what big cities would look like if they didn't have trash pickup, since this lockdown started.

I agree that age is just a number.

#27627 - 05/24/20 01:13 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The other day I posted a picture of my "Newspaper Girl", just found out yesterday, she lost her job. The newspapers were on the sidewalk when I opened the store, at 8am. Talking about the: The Inter-Mountain paper, from Elkins, WV. Elkins is an hour drive from here.

Rolled up with the newspapers was a pink sheet of paper, with the following letter. (I'm not going to type all of it.)

"Dear newspaper dealer: Covid-19 has affected us in many ways. We have seen a drastic decline of newspaper sales in your region. Due to these losses . . . we're stopping newspaper distribution immediately.

The news paper girl and her husband, I'd guess both of them are in their 70's, just a part time job riding around dropping off papers. It gave them something to do, out staying active and all. You might not think about it this way, but the loss of their job is going to be hard on their health. Both physically and mentally.

#27629 - 05/25/20 05:18 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
People are not going shopping so ad revenues available for newspapers must be down.

Since they have more spare time and crave info, people actually reading the newspaper must have gone up.

#27630 - 05/26/20 06:40 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm not sure about advertising or readership? I don't see the man that owns the local newspaper very often, but he told me years ago that the internet had really hurt print media. I'm sure it has, you know, I can read the headlines in tomorrow's newspapers before bedtime tonight.

Most of the advertising in newspapers is from the "big money people", banks, real estate, car dealers and all. Here at the store, I don't advertise much in our local newspaper or on the radio. Usually around Thanksgiving and the first of the year, I'll buy a couple of small adds. And I've always bought one for high school graduation, and that's about it.

Remember the picture above with the family and friends holding those 2 big trout, in front of my store sign? I posted that picture on my facebook thing, it was good advertising, and didn't cost me a cent.

#27634 - 05/27/20 07:36 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I talked to the newspaper guys yesterday, one did say that advertising is way down. The other guy is new on the job, and wasn't sure. My regular newspaper guy for the local paper, he broke his wrist, just before the lockdown. At first they thought it was just sprained, then they found out that it was broken, the bone has healed, so now they're going to need to break it again. I guess they did that about 2 weeks ago, when the hospital reopened, for minor stuff?

I just found out the other day, the employees at the local chicken plant are required to wear a face shield now. The man I was talking to said there were 80 people in his department, and they've worked 6 days per week for the last 2 months.

Here's another man that stopped by with his hardhat and shield, the shield appears to be about the thickness of pop bottle plastic. I don't know this man's name and honestly it's hard for us to communicate, but I see him about every day.

I'll give you a report on the local hair cut deal. I called the girl that usually cuts my hair yesterday, she said she could do it Thursday, not Thursday of this week, but Thursday of next week. I got in touch with Deeanna, she's going to squeeze me in Friday of this week. Chad and Todd's shops are both covered up. Hair is no big deal, but I've been seeing a lot of really bad hair cuts.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.