Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27625 - 05/23/20 11:50 AM Replacement Springs
MJH3 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA
Hi, Just got back into trapping after quite a bit of time off. Going through my gear and believe a lot of my fox traps have weak springs but the traps themselves are in decent shape. Many are Victor 1.5 double coilsprings. I want to replace the springs and I have a couple questions.
1) There appear to be manufacturer springs and music wire springs available. Which is better?
2) I have read that some trappers recommend putting in larger springs - in other words, putting #2 or even #3 springs on the 1.5 trap? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I just want to get my gear functioning well. As you know there are enough challenges that trappers can't control I want to minimize those I can. Wanted to ask questions and stock up on gear at the state rendezvous (PA) but it's been cancelled so I'll be hitting mail order shortly.

Thanks in advance for your input.

#27626 - 05/23/20 02:49 PM Re: Replacement Springs [Re: MJH3]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Don't over power your traps, use the spring made for the trap. I far as I'm concerned, "Music Wire" is just a hook to catch trappers, standard replacement springs should serve you well.

#27628 - 05/24/20 08:09 PM Re: Replacement Springs [Re: Hal]
MJH3 Offline
Initiate Member

Thanks Hal. I appreciate the response.

#27631 - 05/26/20 06:42 AM Re: Replacement Springs [Re: MJH3]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Hal is correct, all replacement springs are music wire by definition. A "tempered high carbon steel wire used to make springs".

I'm also not in favor of over sprung (powered) traps for a number of reasons. All that is necessary is for the trap to function correctly and hold the animal till you get there, nothing more.

#27632 - 05/26/20 09:10 AM Re: Replacement Springs [Re: MJH3]
Mike Conrad Online   content

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
I use a lot of the #1 double coils on land for raccoon. Bought several dozen back when they first came out around 1980. About 20 years later my pull-out numbers were increasing so I decided to re-spring them. Found out that replacing just one spring was plenty to bring performance back.

#27633 - 05/27/20 07:25 AM Re: Replacement Springs [Re: MJH3]
MJH3 Offline
Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.