Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#27685 - 06/27/20 07:11 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Sorry for the delay, I'm at work.

Guys, there's no way that I can tell you this and make it sound good, so I'm just going to put it on you.

My oldest sister Jenny was killed on Labor Day, 2019, about a year ago. Kathryn and Maddie's Mom. Jenny lived in Harper's Ferry, WV, about 2 hours down the road. Jenny came home for the family reunion, which was on Sunday. Monday morning she took a ride on her bicycle, and she was dead before 10 am.

Jenny and I talked Saturday and Sunday, she told me she'd stop by before she went home. We don't know exactly where all she went on her ride. I watched her ride by the store that morning, at first I just noticed a girl on a bike, then I recognized her. She was wearing her helmet and all.

About 200 hundred yards from Mom's house Jenny was struck from behind with a full sized truck and killed instantly. Another 200 yards and she'd been home free. Killed right here on Main Street, Moorefield, WV.

The man that hit and killed Jenny has been in and out of jail, about all of his adult life. He was high and doped up on something. Back in March, he entered a guilty plea of "hit and run causing death" and another charge of "driving while impaired causing death". The man is 43 or 44 years old now, I think? He was on probation for a previous felony, now he's facing another 3 to 15, or it might be 4 to 20 years in prison?

It's a sad situation anyway that you look at it. What hurt me most is knowing that he killed my sister and left her body beside the road, and drove off. State police caught and arrested him up near the county line. Nothing hurts me more than seeing or hearing a girl cry, unless they are happy tears. The nights that I've sat on the steps and talked to the girls on the phone. You can imagine. Long story short, his sorry ass has been in jail since the day Jenny was killed.

Talking about this Covid 19, virus and all, you see, they put off the "sentencing hearing". It was canceled 3 times. My family would get ready, then the hearing was canceled. We'd get ready and then it was postponed again. On and on. We all wrote letters to the Judge. And because of this virus, the jail is locked down, he wasn't even in the courtroom during sentencing.

That's not really fair. He should have heard first hand, what the girls had to say. I know my family better than you guys, and I'll tell you now, they were going to unload on the dude!

My sister Jenny had quite an impressive resume. It doesn't make any difference, but stuff like this happens, and there's not a thing a feller can do. The only thing that I can do is be here for my family. One thing that I will say, we do have a very close family. It's sad and it hurt, but life goes on.

#27686 - 06/28/20 04:45 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Very rough times. Sorry for your loss. It is good that the family is united.

#27687 - 06/28/20 08:53 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Tragic. May he rot in hell.

#27688 - 06/28/20 11:00 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Sorry for your loss dude. Stay strong for the family.

Frank.

#27689 - 06/29/20 06:40 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Oh, my family and I are doing fine, we'll take care of each other. My brother and I talked about this back when it happened, we lost our sister Jenny, but we gained 2 daughters, Kathryn and Maddie. The girls are doing ok, and they know that we're here if they need whatever. I'm just glad that the court finally had the sentencing hearing. Now we have a little bit of a closure. It just seemed that it dragged on forever.

I just found out yesterday, the guy was sentenced to 20 years, and won't be eligible for parole until 2024. I can't understand that, 20 years should be Twenty Years. The guy that killed Jenny is a repeat offender, out of jail and on parole, he should have been on the straight and narrow path. I honestly don't have any sympathy for him, none at all.

I'll clarify something that I said before, Jenny was riding her bike on the sidewalk, the guy drove over the curb and onto the sidewalk when he struck and killed Jenny, and then sped away!

I do wish the guy would have been in the courtroom the other day, there were 19 members of my family there, representing Jenny. My family would have verbally ripped the dude to shreds!

#27690 - 06/29/20 04:02 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here are my Customer's of the day. This is Tiffany, forget the guys name. Above I mentioned bad hair cuts, this is a prime example.

The other day I posted a picture of my buddy Butch, this is his daughter Beth. I just asked her the other day, she's 6 feet, 1 inch tall. Sweet girl too.

#27691 - 07/01/20 07:43 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a comment I shared with you 6 years ago. Today marks 31 years under one roof at the same job.

Today marks a milestone in my lifetime. 25 years ago today, my good friend Ralph "Rabbit" Heare and I shook hands, and he handed me the keys to his business known as "Heare's Grocery". Instantly becoming, Malcolm's Grocery.

We lost Rabbit, years ago, but I have very fond and precious memories of him, and Deloris.

25 years, under one roof, at the same job, basically on call, 24/7/365. It's been difficult at times, but I can't complain. Karen and I have raised a smart, beautiful young lady and Kimberly has grown up in the store. I'm very proud of my little girl, Kim is #1 in my life.

But, I'd like to send out a special, "Thank You", to all of my past and present employees. I won't attempt to list you one, by one. You know who you are. I've had some very, very good and dependable help! I couldn't have done it without you! You have all been a part of the family. Thanks again!

I'll also mention Mom and Dad, and Jenny, Barb, Bud and the rest of the family, for your advice and help over the years. Love you all.

And, I'd like to thank all of my customers, some of you I see now and then, some of you I see 2 or 3 or 4 times per day. I do sincerely appreciate your business!

A lot has changed during the last 25 years! When I first took over the store, a 16oz Pepsi (in a glass bottle) would cost you 50 cents, a pack of Marlboro's cost $1.50, a 50 round box of 22 LR ammo was 75 cents each. I could sell you a brand new Remington M700 centerfire, with a 3X9 power Leupold scope mounted and all, for around 500 bucks. And gasoline was a dollar something per gallon.

But times have changed. As most of you know, I've made some changes here at the store, changes for the better. It's a never ending battle, but as soon as we decide on the color of paint, we're going to roll with it. Probably start on that little project this week.

But you know what? Tomorrow, will be Wednesday, just another day, the store will be open, I'll be selling Gas, cigarettes, and Pepsi Cola,and I have a man coming to pick up his gun.

Distancing again yesterday,

#27692 - 07/01/20 08:34 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Good Story.

#27694 - 07/03/20 08:49 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The story above showed up as a "memory" on facebook, figured I'd just as well share it here too.

There have been quite a few comments, from customers and past and present employees. I'll read one comment to you from Holly: "One of my favorite jobs!!".

As well as I remember Holly would have been 14 or 15 years old when she asked me for a job. I hired her more or less to stock shelves and fill up the coolers, then we put her behind the counter. She'd help on weekends and summers while she was in high school, and then on her breaks while she was going to college and all.

Holly was the perfect store clerk, and she loved the job. She is smart, honest, polite, helpful, etc, and pretty as all get out too. She was part of the family, still is and always will be too.

Holly is a school teacher over in Virginia now, she's married and has 2 kids I think? Not long ago Holly was awarded some kind of something or other for teaching. Very prestigious award, so I'm proud of her. It's hard to explain, but I think about the kids that I've hired over the past 31 years, about all of them are respectable, honest and hard working folks. Deep down, in a way I'd like to think that the store had a little bit to do with their development. You take people for who they are, material things don't impress me.

My brother and I were out distancing/swimming yesterday and the day before, having so much fun, I haven't taken time to take a picture. And I'm going out again today.

#27695 - 07/04/20 05:11 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
" Deep down, in a way I'd like to think that the store had a little bit to do with their development."

I am certain it did. Isn't there an expression about it taking a village to raise a child?

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.