Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26707 - 06/24/19 02:18 PM Learn while You Burn
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
CAUTION:

I was at my daughters last Friday. I got up before everyone else (not surprisingly) and decided I would make a cup of coffee. She doesn't drink coffee so I bring a few of those teabag style coffee singles. Not good coffee but better than no coffee at all. I grabbed a cup out of her cupboard, filled it with water, and stuck it in the microwave for two minutes.

As I went to get it out the handle seemed to be a little bit warm but I thought if I grabbed it quickly I could get it out. BIG MISTAKE!!! That cup had been painted with some type of metallic paint. I don't know how many hundred degrees it was, but I couldn't turn loose of it fast enough to keep from searing my thumb and index finger. I had just picked up a piece of (virtually) red hot metal. To say it hurt like hell would be grossly understated.

The first thing I did was went to the sink and ran cold water on it for a few seconds. Then I opened the refrigerator freezer and luckily there was one of those blue ice packs laying right in front. I had second degree burns, verging on third. I took a bunch of ibuprofen -- exceeding the recommended dose to the point of prescription strength product. There were several of those ice packs so I ended up icing those burns for the next six hours. That must have been the right thing to do. I kept those burns from blistering.

Then I kept slathering the burns with petroleum jelly, hand lotion, or any similar product I could find to keep the seared skin from drying out and cracking. I ended up carrying a tube of lip balm in my pocket, and I would grease those burns every whipstitch. I've been wearing a cotton glove if I have to do any dirty work. I also coat the burns liberally with petroleum jelly before I go to bed, and wear a glove on that hand at night.

Today things are looking pretty good. There is no pain and the skin has pretty much laid back down. It will be a waiting game until the skin atrophies an falls away but I will keep in greased up until it does.

Watch out what you put in the microwave.

#26708 - 06/25/19 10:14 AM Re: Learn while You Burn [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Two minutes in a microwave is a long time.

You were really smart to ice is down quickly and thoroughly. That was a game changer.

The good news is that skinning time isn't for a while. Keep the burn clean.

#26711 - 06/26/19 07:30 PM Re: Learn while You Burn [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Ya shoulda had a beer instead. Breakfast of champions don'tcha know. And, that first one always tastes like MORE! WHOOPIEEEE!!!

Frank.

#27719 - 07/30/20 06:01 PM Re: Learn while You Burn [Re: Hal]
steeltrap Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: MO
Hal,
Best trick I ever had for burns on fingers to get a cereal bow and fill is with crushed ice. Inside this put a smaller bowl filled with honey. Don't worry if melted water or ice gets in the honey. Stick the burned area in there and keep it in there 6-8 hours or longer. If you can do it, sleep with your fingers in the honey bowl. By the next morning all pain will be gone and the burned area with be a lot like a callous. But you will have full function. Make a second bowl like the first and put in the freezer. When good and froze, pull out of the freezer put honey in the small bowl and back into the freezer for 20 minutes. Then swap bowls as they thaw.

Edited by steeltrap (08/01/20 01:27 AM)

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.