Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#27955 - 01/13/21 01:20 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a link to WV's final big game season for this winter.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/01/11/mountaineer-heritage-season-presents-a-unique-hunting-challenge/

Found someone's deer blind the other day.

#27997 - 02/08/21 03:14 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I have several pictures that I'd like to share, but the "image resizer" thing that I've been using won't work for me now. Not sure, but it's probably my computer? Until I get that figured out, no more pics.

I checked the "lured rock" camera the other day, honestly, I'm not getting much action. That's pretty much the area where I've been baiting, not right at the camera, but in the area.

I was up the other day and tracked a small bobcat, it's foot isn't much bigger than a housecat. And a couple of coyotes, and a big dog.

I've got one coyote that is really mangy, it's one sick looking critter, daytime pictures of it. Otherwise all of the pictures are nightime.

The snow is melting off on the South sides, but the belly of my truck is dragging in places. Night before last, we got about 2" of new fluff. Hopefully, the 2 snows have bonded, and give me a little bit more traction. I don't have any snares set yet, but this fresh snow is 24 hours old, depending on what I track, I'm probably going to set it up today. Tough call, figure 3 hours, quarter tank of gas, and more than likely I'll need to chain up.

Above we were talking about those 40 or 50 deer carasses and all, I finally got one. I've asked the DOH guys since November. It is a big doe, so, I'll take it up on the mtn today. Might put a camera on it too.

#27999 - 02/09/21 04:25 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I tracked out the mountain yesterday. Not much action. A gray fox came into the road about a mile before my "lured rock" camera, and that's it. Up and back without needing (using) tire chains. It's slick. It's slick when you're going downhill, in low 4, in first gear at an idle and it breaks loose.

I didn't set the place up yesterday, it's just so hard to justify. But I'm going to wait a week or so and set it up anyway.

Here's a link to WV's bear harvest:

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/01/26/a-record-black-bear-harvest-for-west-virginia/

Here's a link to our antlerless deer harvest.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/02/09/dnr-publishes-final-numbers-for-2020-deer-seasons/

#28000 - 02/12/21 02:06 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, a guy stopped here at work yesterday and told me that he smacked an 11 point buck on the way home the night before. He said the deer just darted across the road and he nailed him. Someone from the DNR is supposed to drop off a tag for the animal. It's legal here to pick up a deer carcass on the road, but the man wanted to make sure it was legal to keep the antlers.

He showed me a picture, it looked to be 18 or 19 inches wide, it had a forked brow tine. The man said that he may keep the loins if it's not all busted up, then I'm supposed to get the carcass.

I haven't checked 3 of my cameras for a while now, I'll try to get to them within a week or 2.

#28070 - 03/11/21 11:02 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I set up a couple of trail cams to seem some deer.

https://youtu.be/dWwEeiZa_d4

#28128 - 04/27/21 11:43 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I watched your video when you first posted it, your deer look healthy. We have that same moss in this area, not sure what it is either? About that little bald patch on the one deer's shoulder, I'd guess that's from fighting?

The camera watching Wardney's saltlick, I've had dozens and dozens of fight pictures. And deer hair all over the place, 2, 3 or 4 years ago. I checked that camera yesterday, I'm not getting much action.

#28129 - 04/28/21 09:52 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I picked those cameras up yesterday,. i have not checked them yet.

#28130 - 04/28/21 02:10 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

With your cameras in the video mode, that'll take a while to check.

I checked my 3 mountain cameras last Friday, 4/23/21. First that I'd checked the "spring camera" since Christmas day. I expected the batteries to be dead, but they were still going.

Still don't have this computer figured out, so I can't post pics. I'll try to explain what I had. On the Spring camera, I didn't have any bear pictures from Christmas until about the middle of April. The most recent bear picture was dated 4/18/21. Looks to be 150 or 175 pound bear. Under it's fur, I think it'd make 3 of my dog.

I have a picture of 5 deer together, one still had it's horns, and as well as I can tell, the rest had lost their antlers, that was sometime in February. A couple of them looked to be fawns, last summer's fawns.

Also had a pair of coyotes using the spring pretty regular, they are the reason that I wanted to trap the mountain. Since it's warmed up, I do have a couple pics of a groundhog. My opinion the game and varmints are using the spring more since I dug out those little water holes.

I checked the other 2 cameras back in January, and honestly didn't get much action. I had a coyote or 2 at my "lured rock" camera, but nothing consistent. That's where I was baiting. Checked that last deer carcass the other day, nothing messed with it like I expected. That deer carcass has been there since January, part of it is still there. Not sure?

Edited by redsnow (04/28/21 03:15 PM)
Edit Reason: Changed bear picture date from March to April

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.