Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27680 - 06/24/20 11:46 AM BMI Replacement Springs - any ideas??
MJH3 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA
I have some old BMI 1.5 coilsprings that I really like. The traps came center swiveled, 4-coiled, with a stake swivel on the end. They have been in the shed for a number of years and I recently got back into trapping so I am going through my gear. The springs are somewhat unique compared to more common brands. I need to replace them and BMI doesn't have any. Any suggestions where I may find some suitable replacements? Thanks in advance.

#27681 - 06/24/20 06:50 PM Re: BMI Replacement Springs - any ideas?? [Re: MJH3]
Mike Conrad Online   content

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Sterling Fur may be able to help, Keith has quite a supply of trap parts.

#27682 - 06/24/20 09:00 PM Re: BMI Replacement Springs - any ideas?? [Re: MJH3]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I had several dz of that design many years ago. Like the design also. The small diameter of the spring wire caused them to be susceptible to the loss of spring strength. I couldn't find replacement springs 20 years ago .

If you really want to re-spring them. Winding your own springs is not really that difficult. I have been successful with wire up to .085"

#27693 - 07/01/20 09:19 AM Re: BMI Replacement Springs - any ideas?? [Re: MJH3]
MJH3 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA
Thanks for the responses. Sterling does not have any replacements so it looks like I will need to wind my own if I want to use these traps. Thanks again.

#27779 - 09/08/20 03:35 PM Re: BMI Replacement Springs - any ideas?? [Re: MJH3]
gryhkl Offline

Loc: pa
I have about a dozen with the same problem. Where does one buy the wire to make his own springs?

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.