Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#27765 - 08/25/20 06:55 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Above we were talking about our hunting buds and all, I'll tell you this.

About a month ago a young lady came to me and asked if I'd be a pallbearer for her father, Ronnie. Ronnie is still alive, but he's not well. I've posted pictures of him here on the forum before, several times.

Ronnie and my Dad were best friends, and hunting buddies since before my time. Dad was 20 some years older than Ronnie, and Ronnie is 20 years older than me. We share the same birthday, just 20 years difference. I've hunted with Ronnie off and on, all of my life. I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned this before, but Ronnie is one of the best hunters and marksman and woodsman that I've ever had the pleasure of hunting with.

Ronnie and his wife have 2 daughters, Christie and Lisa. Christie is the oldest and she's the one that asked me. I see and talk to the girls pretty often, couple times per week or so, and they always give me an update. I've promised the girls for over a year that I'd come visit, and check on him myself.

Long story short, Lisa called me the other day and invited me over for a surprise birthday dinner she was doing for her sister. It's a half hour drive from here to their house. You guys that live in densely populated areas will appreciate this: From the intersection, they live in the 3rd house on the right, 1.8 miles up the road. It's a beautiful drive up that hollow.

I pulled in the driveway and set off the Three Dog Alarm system. Once you walk inside, there's a full body mount of a BIG black bear looking at you, 2 or 3 other bear mounts, deer horns everywhere. Ronnie has harvested some impressive deer! Guys, the house smelled good from the girl's cooking. I walked through the kitchen and talked to the girls and Mom for a little bit, checked to see what all was cooking.

Walked around the corner into the next room, Ronnie was sitting in his easy chair. As soon as he seen me he said: Hey, Timbo. We shook hands and talked for a minute. I asked him how are you doing? Ronnie said: I'm not good, pointing to his heart, then said, I'm about ready to check out.

I sat on the couch across from him and we talked until the girls called us for supper. Just me and their family sitting around the table. Ronnie and his wife, Lisa, me and Christie. Lisa's one year old daughter sitting in a highchair beside Grandma. Grandma was teaching the little red-haired girl how to hold her baby spoon. First time I'd watched a baby eat for a long time.

But we had a great meal, and very nice visit. I apologized to Ronnie for not coming over to visit sooner. I told them when I left, I'm just like a stray cat, feed me once and I'll be back. But you know, virus or no virus, we all have obligations.

Next time I go over to visit and if Ronnie feels up to it, I'll take him for a ride. Fresh mountain air would do him good.

#27767 - 08/27/20 06:20 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Distancing.

#27770 - 08/30/20 08:22 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#27784 - 09/11/20 07:49 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This is the type of emails that I receive.

#27789 - 09/16/20 06:41 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Distancing again.

#27792 - 09/17/20 06:34 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

More pictures from Tuesday evening. Big D. and I didn't amount to squat fishing, but we had a good time anyway. First time the little outboard motor had been on the water for 20 years, she was running smooth.

#27806 - 09/26/20 06:43 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#27807 - 09/26/20 08:29 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Above I mentioned Brenda that works for me, and her husband Doug's kidney stones and all. Long story short, Doug first went to his doctor over at the hospital in the next county West. The Dr. checked him out and sent him to the hospital in Morgantown, Wv. The doctors out there checked him out, done all their scans and all, and sent him to John Hopkin's hospital in Baltimore, MD.

Longer story short, at all three hospitals, as soon as Doug was checked in/admitted, they kicked Brenda out.

I talk to her about everyday, she's a nervous wreck. I'll tell you, this virus lockdown has changed our lives in so many ways.

Coming off of the mountain the other day, I happened to think about Brenda and Doug, they are both like part of my family. No relation or anything at all. I spent 5 minutes picking her the little bunch of flowers above, just to make her day. He's in Baltimore, Md now, he had a major surgery, hopefully he'll be back home this coming week

Brenda is a small lady, she told me the other day she'd been toting firewood over to the house, for the winter. Here we are at the first of October, it's going to get cold before long, and Doug is going to be down for the next 6 or 8 weeks, if he's lucky. But we're all good friends, and we'll take care of each other.

I'm going to add a these comments. When they first started dealing with the kidney stones, they found a mass on one of Doug's kidneys. Turns out that it was cancer, that's why his doctor sent him to John Hopkins.

We've talked about this a little bit before. Brenda called and told me one day that she was all stressed out and wouldn't be in to work. She was afraid she'd be here crying all day. I told her the same thing that I tell all of my friends, when stuff like this happens, you've got to keep your mind busy. Get right back into your normal routine. She's back to work now, and it's been good for her.

Edited by redsnow (09/27/20 06:47 AM)

#27821 - 10/01/20 06:38 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's one that I weighed yesterday. Catch and release, he did a good job transporting it.

#27827 - 10/04/20 07:45 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll show you guys where I got my sandstone rocks the other day. If you look just left and low of the peak, in the first picture, that little white spot is a rock bar. That's where I got them. And another picture coming off of the mountain, looking across the valley. The birch and sweet gum leaves are starting to turn.

Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.