Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#27768 - 08/28/20 10:02 AM Re: Honeybees 2020. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, I was running short on time the other morning, but I did get a positive ID on the yellow flowers in the picture above. It's Wingstem or the common name of yellow iron weed. Some of those weeds are 6 or 8 feet tall, and the bees are really working them now.

Not sure if we have any active beekeepers here on the forum, but I wanted to tell you how the young man has his bee hives setup. His hives are sitting on top of 10-inch cinder blocks, with treated 2" x 6"'s between the blocks.

Some of the videos that I've watched show people with their bee boxes sitting on the ground. Bee boxes are expensive, way too expensive to let them sit on wet ground. The man is protecting his investment.

Talking to a friend the other day, his 12 bee hives and all of his equipment in the pictures above, I'll guess is worth around $3,000. With a total of 200 hives, he's spent some money.

Above we talked about his bear fence, had my dog with me the other day. She's a 65 pound dog and got zapped, according to her reaction, I'd say the fence is pretty HOT. I read the tag on front of the fence charger, it is one of the "weed burner" types, good for 25 miles of fence.

Going up the road the other day, I did see a mommy bear and 2 small cubs run across the road. I stopped but wasn't able to get a picture of them. Small cubs from this spring, maybe 20 pounds or so. All 3 of them were on the pavement for a second.

I searched the other day and found a link online, the beekeepers calendar. Information on which plants honeybees work, at different times of the year. But they're in the yellow iron weed now. Honey production is about finished for this year. I need to call the young man, and I'll ask just how many pounds of honey they've produced. I think they've done good for him. Also found him another property where he's planning on putting additional hives this coming spring.

#27777 - 09/05/20 06:36 AM Re: Honeybees 2020. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Annette from the apiary where I buy honey delivered comb honey the other day. Comb honey is a seasonal item, I can only buy it for 3 or 4 months during summer, so I ordered 5 dozen boxes. My cost was over $300. I have it priced at $7.75, and that's cheap.

I asked Annette about this "yellow iron weed", she said the bees do get nectar and pollen from it, and that's the end of production. She said they'd started taking the "supers" off of their hives. A super is the top box on the hive.

She told me that Michael's bee hives on the King's property had done very well. Other than seeing where he'd mowed off the weeds inside his bear fence and the grass smashed down, you'd never know he was even on the property. So, I guess within the next week or 2, he'll pick up his hives and I'm not sure, they'll truck them to California or down south.

These folks make their living from honey, and they are organized.

#27797 - 09/20/20 07:34 AM Re: Honeybees 2020. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked on the man's bees the other day, you'll see that he's removed the "super" from each hive. We had our first frost yesterday and another one this morning, honey production is done for the year, in this area. As far as I know, his bees will be trucked to a warmer climate. I assume that one night before long he'll seal up the hives and get them ready for shipment.

If you read the fine print on the bottom of the state tag, is says that the hive has been inspected and found to be free from "American foul brood disease" Honeybees are livestock.

#27833 - 10/09/20 06:33 AM Re: Honeybees 2020. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Michael the bee man removed his hives the other day or night? Here you can see how he had them setting on blocks and 2 X 6's.

As far as I know, the bees will be trucked to warmer weather, so they can start making honey again. I've got his phone number, but I know this is a busy time of year, I'll wait a couple of weeks and ask him just how they did do.

I talked to a local beekeeper the other day, Phillip, I'm not sure how many years he's been messing with bees? I forget the details, but at one point this summer he had 10 active hives, he said that he'd lost 7 of them. Here we are, middle of October and it'll be a chore for him to keep the other 3 alive until April or May. I wish him the best. Phillip said his bees made 15 gallons of honey. Retail price by the gallon, you're looking at $600. Double that price if it'd be in smaller containers.

I'll edit again. Retail price for gallons of honey is $40 per gallon. So, a total of $600.

Edited by redsnow (10/09/20 09:50 AM)

#27857 - 10/23/20 06:26 AM Re: Honeybees 2020. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Not a very good picture, but bees are working these red-top thistles now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.