Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27816 - 09/29/20 07:11 PM Fur market this year
WVofit Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: WV
I was just wondering what everybody thinks the market will be like this year. Since there were very few (if any) trapper conventions this year, will there be any state association sales next spring? I'm gonna trap this year for sure, between the coons and coyotes our chickens, ducks and calves are taking a beating. I'm just trying to decide if I should stay around my farm and the surrounding farms or to put out a normal line. I'm not worried about low prices but I am a little worried about putting up fur and having no place to sell even at the low prices.

#27817 - 09/30/20 12:01 PM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I wish I had a crystal ball.

I canít imagine how this is going to shake out. About the only thing I can tell you is fur prices will be low.

I did see one long time buyer in Indiana say he would be buying this year. He would be giving $1.00 for coons Ė provided they were skinned. I really donít know what to think about the state fur sales. If this pandemic is still in full swing, and it may very well be, many of those sales might have to be cancelled.

Iím sorry I canít be of more help but the whole fur market is up in the air right now.

#27818 - 09/30/20 04:01 PM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I trap on registered lines. If you don't trap, you lose the line. "Minimum" is what I will be doing. Beaver is what most of minimum will be. At about $20 a beaver and castor at $100 a pound, gas will get paid. A few marten will be caught also. Wolves will be targeted for fun and to give me an excuse to dog sled. I need a few fox and I will probably catch a fisher or two in marten sets.

I do not want any lynx or otter or mink. I really don't want many fox either. Squirrels and ermine will help with the minimum. I already have the bears, which sell o.k..

A very discouraging situation. The goal is to have the minimum caught within 3 weeks and then leave some fun stuff out that doesn't cost much to run.

#27819 - 09/30/20 08:36 PM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
WVofit Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: WV
Thanks to both of you. I think I'm gonna just stick close to home so I won't need to worry so much about burning to much gas and just concentrate on having fun trapping. I'll still put up the fur I do catch and count it as practice. I can definitely use the practice anyway. Besides, even though I'm retired I've still got small kids at home and they have been waiting on the season to start as much as I have. If I stay small it'll give me more time to maybe teach them some of what I've learned.

Musher I wish I could come with you on your wolf line. Running a trap line on a dog sled has been on my wish list for as long as I can remember.

#27822 - 10/01/20 02:33 PM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
Hal Offline

Brian: What are your minimums??? How is that determined? Just curious.

#27823 - 10/02/20 04:05 AM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
musher Online   content

5/15. Five different species, fifteen fur bearers total. I have no idea as to how this number came to be. It is the same number if your line is 27 sq. km. in size or if it is 90 sq. km..

Way back when the quota was on beaver. You were asked how many active beaver colonies you had. This was then checked out by helicopter, in late winter, by looking for the chimneys.

You had to catch 75% of the beaver which were estimated at 4 per colony. If your estimate was off by more than 25% or you did not make your 75%, you had a complication that could make you lose your line.

5/15 isn't difficult to catch in my case. However, what is the point if you cannot sell the fur? I'd rather keep things that have low breeding numbers alive (marten, fisher, lynx) for when prices go up. But I need 5 species.

The concept behind the quota is sound. We want the trap lines trapped. But times are tough right now. Between covid and fur prices, it is complicated.

#27824 - 10/02/20 11:27 AM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
Hal Offline

That's interesting. That doesn't sound at all onerous. Thank you.

So you could, for example, catch 10 squirrels, 2 beaver, 1 fox, 1 fisher and 1 marten and you're good.

#27826 - 10/03/20 09:15 AM Re: Fur market this year [Re: WVofit]
musher Online   content

Yep.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.