Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27850 - 10/21/20 03:35 PM Making room
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Going up next week with stick'n string looking for Bambi. The optimist in me has me making room in the freezer for fresh venison by using up some pork to make fresh Hungarian style sausage. We didn't stuff it into casings, just bulked it into baggies for use as you wish. Chile, meatloaf, pizza, etc. Ground up and seasoned about 30#s. We let the bags marinade over night in the fridge, then freeze them. Got the whole house smelling like garlic! grin

#27851 - 10/22/20 12:24 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A confident hunter is a successful hunter. Good luck this weekend, I'd like to see another picture of that buckzilla deer you showed us last season. Hopefully you or one of your bunch gets a chance to drive one through his lungs.

Not sure if you're hunting from a tree or not? Be careful if you are. I just heard the other day that some man fell out of his treestand and messed himself up. I was told that he may never walk again. Wouldn't that suck! Take a day off of work to go have fun, then end up in the hospital.

Just thinking, 30 pounds of meat through a hand-crank grinder, that's a lot of cranking! Looking at the reddish color of your sausage, I guess that's Frank's hot & spicy style?

#27852 - 10/22/20 01:13 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That's how we used to do. Eventually we electrified the hand grinder then just broke down and bought and electric grinder. We ground hogs, deer, cows and all. Nothing like home made sausage.

#27854 - 10/22/20 07:17 PM Re: Making room [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Nope, no tree stand for me. Been there, done that. Was always the carpenter that would get sent aloft. No problem with heights. But now I'm a ground hugger. Don't bounce real good anymore. Too friggin' old to be doing a Peter Pan off my climber stand. And I believe that big buck was taken last year by the camp north of us.

We've been tweakin' that sausage recipe for years. Came with my pop's side of the family when they came back to this country. (Pop and all the siblings were born here. Mom died so the old man took them all back to Hungary with him) We cut down on the sharp red pepper, but use quite a bit of paprika. When it becomes so sharp that you lose the taste of the thing, it's time to cut back. The red pepper get you in your mouth, the black pepper hammers the back of your throat. We got it down pat now so there's just a hint of sharp, but a lot of garlic taste. If you enjoy a meal of our sausage on Sunday, you should still be burpin' it on Wednesday! That's good sausage! grin

Frank.

#27856 - 10/23/20 10:34 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Did you guys ever remove the handle and hook a drill to your hand grinder?

#27859 - 10/23/20 02:52 PM Re: Making room [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Nah, slow and steady. Need to come out of it with all ten digits! smile

Frank.

#27861 - 10/24/20 12:06 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Looks like that'd be tough on a drill.

My buddy Wardney has one rigged with an electric motor and pulley, it runs way too fast. You almost need a backstop on the dishpan. And I'll tell you that little hopper is pretty darned shallow!

Talking about all 10 digits, I have a lady that stops here at work every so often, she lost the tip of one of her fingers in a grinder rigged up exactly the same way. I'll check the next time I see her, but I think she lost that joint up past her fingernail. You'd really never notice it and I only do when I'm handing her change.

#27862 - 10/24/20 03:41 AM Re: Making room [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

I actually started getting parts together for a motorized fix to our grinder. Got a step down electric motor that already turns really slow. Was gonna hook it up to a foot petal for on and off power. Got the pulley for the motor, but still have not gotten one for the grinder. The spindle is somewhat tapered with a flat spot to receive the handle. I just put the idea on the back burner, and that was years ago. Since then I've figured that good company, cold beer, and just kickin' it around while making our sausage has the slow down time we all could use. And hand grinding that little thing helps the cause. Had a friend describe our sausage making as 'a happening'.

Frank.

#27864 - 10/24/20 10:37 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: FLSH ETR
Had a friend describe our sausage making as 'a happening'.

Frank.

Ceilidh!! Look it up. Great times!

#27865 - 10/24/20 10:58 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.