Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#27867 - 10/24/20 04:30 PM Re: Making room [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yeah, pretty close with the music and storytelling. Except we don't dance around the sausage table. We just drink beer instead. grin

Frank.

#27868 - 10/24/20 10:23 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
The lady that I mentioned above that lost her finger tip, just talked to her oldest son, he's a little bit older than me. She did lose the whole joint with her fingernail. I'm sure her hands were cold and it probably didn't hurt till the next day.

Here at work I have a bunch of folks that try to sell me junk/antiques. Had a guy offer to sell me a hand crank meat grinder, today, similar to the one in the pics above, plus some other necessities. Offered the whole works to me for $75. I asked about just the grinder, it was mounted on a board, he asked $50 for it. I told him that was out of the price range. Probably worth 10 or $15, if it's not froze up or all gunked up. Didn't really have time to look at it, but I don't need it. So, sent it back home with him. Never know, he may be back later?

#27869 - 10/25/20 02:45 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]

First off, if you're gonna buy a hand cranked grinder, get the kind with four legs so you can screw it down. I've got a smaller one that clamps onto a table or shelf edge. Use it for grinding mice, but that's about all the size chunks I'd put into it. I think I paid five bucks for it. For the bigger ones, make sure you scrutinize the die and cutting blade. They're replaceable, but that adds to the total cost. I'd say 30-40 bucks for a used grinder in good clean workable shape.

Frank.

#27870 - 10/25/20 12:26 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I don't need a hand crank grinder, we've got a couple of the things. If I would have bought it, it would have been used to collect dust.

It was bolted onto a board, and one of the bigger types that were made. It looked to be in pretty good shape, but I didn't look at it up close. You know, years ago stuff was made to last, and most folks took good care of their equipment. Today everything is pretty much disposable. The guy also had an old horse collar/hame, and a carbide torch. Just junk.

Here at work I have a small grinder, the tray will hold about 30 pounds of meat, haven't used it for years. Years ago we did beef and pork every week, and it was tough to compete with the big store here in town. Today we've got three big stores here in town. Friends of mine own the original BIG store, that's where I buy my meat.

#27871 - 10/25/20 02:17 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You need a double reduction set up to slow the hand grinder down to hand speed. The speed at which it is designed to run. You need a very large pulley on the grinder. The reduction pulley will be hard to find.

#27872 - 10/25/20 05:08 PM Re: Making room [Re: Hal]

Here's a shot of the little step down motor I mentioned. It reduces the 1725 rpms down to 145. That is still twice as fast as I would like it for grinding meat. With the proper sized pulleys I could get that down to 60rpms. That's about what I crank at for grinding. The down side to all of this is that everything has to be rigidly secured. When we mount the stuffing funnel to fill casings, we need four times the grinding speed. Rebuilding and securing the drive train would take up too much time and effort. That's why I decided to stick with hand grinding. smile
Fill casing to brat size, pinch both ends and spin forward a half dozen times. Fill next brat size, pinch both ends, and spin backwards. Forward, backward, forward, backward, etc. grin

Frank.

#27873 - 10/26/20 01:37 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Here's the girl's hand I was talking about. Happened back in 1978, pretty much one of those ka-la things mentined above. Deloris was on the way home from church when she stopped by today. Said she looked around to check on the kids, and it happened in a heart-beat.

#27874 - 10/26/20 09:52 PM Re: Making room [Re: redsnow]

You know, this last batch of meat we just ground up tastes just a little different, but I just can't put my finger on it. (a little morbid humor here) grin

#27876 - 10/27/20 11:24 AM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: FLSH ETR
You know, this last batch of meat we just ground up tastes just a little different, but I just can't put my finger on it. (a little morbid humor here) grin

NAILed it! The entire JOINT is laughing.

Whenever someone I know has a broken finger, I ask if they got punched on the nose.

#27879 - 10/27/20 01:44 PM Re: Making room [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Oh, Deloris is a super nice lady. I'm sure they tossed out the pan full, Or at least a big glob, but stuff like that happens so fast. Turn your head for a second and the damage is done.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.