Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27914 - 12/11/20 04:16 PM Bicycle Safety Lights.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
This is a sad and tragic story, lots of broken hearts in that area today. And for the coming months and years too.

I mentioned before that my family had to deal with a similar situation. But I wanted to tell you about these red LED strobe lights, made for bikes.

Last summer I noticed a guy riding his bike and he had some kind of red strobe light mounted under his seat. He was on a public road and I'll tell you that light would really catch your eye. I didn't get to see it up close, as well as I could tell it was about the size of a pack of cigarettes, or so? Do a search, you can find them from $5 on up.

Back when my daughter was little, she and I would ride our bikes about every day, when the weather was nice. We always stayed on the back streets, mainly to ride over and check on Mom and Dad. More or less to teach her about watching for traffic and intersections and all. As Kim got bigger and taller and faster we'd race. But I'll tell you, if we'd ever do all of that again, she would have a red strobe on her bike or helmet.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nevada-highway-crash-leaves-5-bicyclists-dead-3-injured-reports

#27915 - 12/11/20 07:59 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Yes!

#27916 - 12/12/20 10:57 AM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Those lights are very common here. Some people have them on their bikes and others attach them to their helmets.

#27917 - 12/12/20 06:44 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I had one of them that clipped onto a special bracket on my bike so you could remove it to use somewhere else. Took it with me deer hunting, and hung it in a tree where I field dressed my deer after an half hour track. Zig zagged my way back out to a road, walked back to camp for my ATV, and drove back. That bright red flashing light brought me straight back to my deer. Still have it.

Frank.

#27918 - 12/12/20 09:54 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Good idea, Frank.

I keep one in my duck seat/box and I attach it to the first field decoy I set. It helps me set the spread and if I go back to the truck for more gear I can find my set up quickly.

#27919 - 12/13/20 02:41 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I sill ride.Often after dark this time of year. I have one like Frank mentioned on the handle bar that acts as a "Head Lite". And Strobe / Flasher that mounts under the seat faceing back. I chose a white, random pattern for that one.Figuring a white flashing light in his/her lane would catch a drivers attention better. Got to love LED's, the lights are light,small and cheap. Not to mention very bright.

Now If only the local Amish would use them they would stop being a much of a menace as they currently are

#27920 - 12/13/20 03:33 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Amen on LED lights!!! For 25 years I would spend hours at the beginning of each trapping season, messing with the incandescent lights on my trailers. Always wet, muddy, and making poor contact. Half the time the repair work wouldn't last the whole season. Last year I put LED lights on the trailer. Pulled it out this season, and it worked just as well as when I put it away. That's one of those "should have done it a long time ago" deals.

#27921 - 12/15/20 03:46 AM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree, these lights that we're talking about have a lot of good uses, very handy tool. If a feller would need to change a tire or something, it sure would give the oncoming traffic a heads up.

Here's a picture that I posted before, forget what we were talking about then? But these girls didn't have lights on their bikes, but they should have had them. This is some kind of "sponsored" bike team, if they can afford shirts and all they could afford safety lights. Take a good look at them. Six best friends, riding together. Can you imagine the heartache if something bad would happen.

Talking about riding after dark, I haven't rode a bicycle after dark since I was a kid. Me and my buds used to ride through town like we owned the place. We just have so very much traffic these days, our streets are tight and narrow, and we don't have "bike lanes" like in some places.

Riding around on the back streets here in town, you should be good to go. Once you get past the city limit sign, the speed limit is 55 MPH. With the traffic and our roads, I'd feel uncomfortable riding after dark.

#27922 - 12/15/20 02:34 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
After dark, I avoid main roads like my life depended on it. I can make the 1/4 mile dash down the state route to our drive way with out traffic just by watching for "head lights". Luckily we live in a area where most people work with "sun time". When it gets dark most are at home. By 10:00 pm this area becomes a ghost town.

That being said, younger folks (most are these days). Would probably think that flashing light they see in there peripheral vision, is the phone they are paying attention to. Telling them they have a low battery or some such thing.

Edited by Ric (12/15/20 02:36 PM)

#27923 - 12/16/20 05:42 PM Re: Bicycle Safety Lights. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Oh, a quarter mile after dark wouldn't be bad. I wasn't sure if you meant that you were riding 8 or 10 miles per day just for exercise or what?

The girls in the picture above were staying over at the state park, it's almost a 40 mile round trip, the way they go. They use the store as a pit-stop, use the bathroom, get something to drink and spike their blood sugar. The toughest part of their ride starts about 5 miles up the road, then they've got 3 miles of steady uphill to the top of the South Branch Mountain. About 2,000 vertical feet of climb.

You'd really be surprised at just how many miles some folks will ride their bike in one day.

Talking about all of the uses for these strobe lights, I'll tell you this. A while back there was a fatal crash over on Rt. 259, it involved a farm tractor and a pickup. The tractor was stopped in the road, waiting to make a left hand turn, when the pickup hit it from behind. The man on the tractor was killed.

There are a lot of things going on in this situation, but farm tractors are not made to be used on the highway, but they are every single day. And older farm tractors weren't equipped with safety lights, brake lights or mirrors and all.

In your car, when you make a left hand turn, you've got your blinker, brake lights and mirrows. We'll never know for sure, but if the man's tractor would have had a red strobe, there may not have been a crash. We'll never know. It all boils down to the other driver's reaction time, and a split-second could have made a difference.

I understand what you mean about your Amish neighbors, it's a dangerous situation.

Sunday morning, Moe and I rode up to the old King's house to turn off the water and drain the lines and get it ready for cold weather. I was doing the speed limit pretty much, on the way home, came around a turn and there was Little Stanley on his 4-wheeler in the middle of my lane. Big Stanley was 100 feet in front of his boy, driving a farm tractor. Mid-day Sunday, no traffic on the road, no big deal.

I have a good bicycle that I haven't rode for about 10 years, I really should put that thing back on the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.