Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#27848 - 10/20/20 05:55 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Hal
I haven't seen or heard a grouse in my neighborhood in ten years. They were never very plentiful to begin with.

I saw 3 today and shot 2. I also shot a spruce. All while checking beaver traps (caught 11). Then when I got home, Wifey and I hurried to fill our deer feeders on our woodlot and she shot a ruffed. Less than 5 minutes from the couch.

I am on my second box of 410 shells.

#27849 - 10/21/20 06:45 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Happy Birthday redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a bear that I tagged in for this man, yesterday, think he said he's 76 years old. Got it with his crossbow, about 15 miles up the the road. They guessed it's weight at over 200 pounds, according to it's head and feet, I'd agree.

#27853 - 10/22/20 08:53 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

Brian, you're fortunate to live in an area with a healthy grouse population. Back around 1980 or so, I was trapping a property, and I'd see a bird, maybe 3 or 4 or 5 about every check. We just don't have them today.

Since we've been talking about grouse, I've asked several guys that I see here at work: Well, let me ask when was the last time that you've seen a grouse or flushed one while you've been out hunting? Everyone that I've asked had to think, and think hard. We have a few around, very few. I haven't killed one for years. I think it was the fall before last I did see 2, together.

The other day when I posted those couple links above, I read 4 or 5 other stories/reports and the more I read, the more gloomy the grouse story becomes. The one story reported that wild grouse eggs were hatched in a sterile facility, and the chicks suffered a 90% mortality rate at 6 or 8 weeks of age when exposed to West Nile virus.

Another story reported, that in addition to our 4 legged predators, they also faced "death from above". We do have a bunch of hawks, owls and eagles. This was before my time, but I remember my buddy Earl telling me about collectiing a bounty for hawks. Chicken hawks is what he called them. I remember Dad telling me about the time Granddad picked off a big hawk way out there, years and years ago. Of course all birds of prey are protected today, but back at the time, that's the way it was.

My opinion, we're seeing a big change in our wildlife, and not a good change. Some of it comes back to us trappers too. If fox prices bump up to $50, we'd put the squeeze on them.

#27855 - 10/23/20 05:33 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

The day before yesterday, Wifey came with me and we saw a bunch. She had 4-6 in front of her a couple of times. It was pouring rain out, too.

Yesterday, on a different line, with much better weather, where I did twice the milage, I did not see one!

We will see what happens today.

#27860 - 10/23/20 03:01 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
No lions, or tigers, bbbut BBBEARS!--OH MY!!!

This big old sow better be sacked in for the winter when our deer season opens. Would not enjoy her protecting her cubs while accidently walking up on her!

#27863 - 10/24/20 05:33 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Big sow and huge cubs. There is a little bear I have seen several times on one line. No sow.

It has been a poor berry year. The sow is probably bred and chased the cub away to den alone. tough love.

It is TINY. Cottagers want it gone before it causes trouble. I told them I was a trapper and not an assassin! It is a pitiful little thing the size of a cocker spaniel. I'll save my tags for bigger stuff in the spring. However, once marten boxes are set, the little bear might make a poor choice and end up in the shed. I hope it dens up first.

#27877 - 10/27/20 06:45 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

I've been looking at the bear pictures above, that is a big fat sow. The cubs, compared to that salt block, I think they are too big to be this years cubs. I'm looking at the picture where the cubs are hugging the tree. Not sure?

#27878 - 10/27/20 08:32 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I ain't no bearsmith, but you're probably correct. The tree that the cubs are messing with is about five yards farther back than the salt block.

Frank.

#27880 - 10/28/20 09:24 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

#27881 - 10/29/20 06:38 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

I don't know as much about bear as I'd like to either, they are an interesting animal.

Talking about Frank's bear pictures, one other thing that I was looking at is the size difference between the 2 cubs or smaller bear. The same picture where they're on the tree, the one on it's back feet, looks a good bit bigger than the other one.

This time of year when you see a sow with cubs, they're almost identical in size. It seems like males have a bigger head and are usually a little bit heavier. But just to see them out in the woods feeding on acorns or whatever, you're not going to be able to see much difference.

I checked the 3 mountain cameras yesterday, today would have made 5 weeks since the last check. Had 250 pictures or so. Bear on all 3 cameras, no coyotes, not many deer either. I did find a few grapes yesterday, otherwise there's just not much food on the west side of the mountain. I did have 4 or 5 pictures of this little bobcat, in the picture below. And a fox picture too.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.