Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#27937 - 12/25/20 08:18 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Happy Birthday redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a picture that I took with my handheld camera the other day. In the center of the picture, hopefully you can see a set of eyes, it's a spike buck. Off to the right is another spike, they're both bedded down in this picture. And nearly identical, they have 5 or 6 inch spikes.

You know how buck deer will bunch up this time of year, if there's enough to form a bunch. I cut the distance and changed positions a little bit before they stood up, then I felt the wind change directions. I felt the wind on the back of my head, I knew things were going to happen quick. Two more deer jumped up that I hadn't seen, big bodied deer, and one was really dark looking. I scoped them over as they ran off, couldn't see any horns on them, but they all went together. Very possible that the other 2 had already lost their antlers?

Our buck deer season ended a week or so ago, but I still like to look them over.

Fresh snow on the ground and I'm off work today.

#27938 - 12/28/20 08:40 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

Above I mentioned that there's not much to eat on the west side of Elkhorn Mountain, I noticed a month or so ago that the deer were eating the little pine trees along the road. I haven't really noticed where they're eating laurel yet. I did track where a couple of deer were out on the sunny side in the rocks, I guess eating the little ferns, moss and lichens?

I've checked the 3 mountain cameras within the last week or so, and not a single bear picture. I tracked a nice bear a week or so ago, on the right of way to the mountain, but I've not found a single bear track on the property where I've got my cameras. I've tracked out the road 3 or 4 or 5 times now?

One of the local guys with bear hounds showed me a picture of a nice one last evening, it weighed 419 pounds. Killed it up in Pendleton Co. But most everyone hunting, they're just not finding tracks. I guess they've either moved out or holed up?

#27941 - 12/31/20 06:52 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

#27942 - 01/01/21 12:21 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

Here's a picture of the Upper Salt lick stump. I sawed the stump off square, 3 or 4 years agp? It's not as pretty as the ash stump that Frank has, but the squirells have it rounded off nicely.

A 50 pound salt block will last a long time if you keep it up out of the mud. Moe's Moultrie camera died, so we don't have any recent pictures, from this spot. I think it was 4 or 5 years old before it kicked the bucket.

West Virginia's bear and antlerless firearm deer season ended 12/31/20. Season dates vary in different parts of the state, but that's when it ended in this area. The WV DNR should have the season total for antlerless deer within the next 2 weeks or so.

Above I posted a link to WV's Buck kill, the antlerless kill will tell us more of the story. Here at work we talk about fish and game, all 12 months of the year. There were some really nice bucks harvested in this area, but one thing that about everyone will agree with, is our overall deer population is way down.

You see, here in Hardy Co., back 15 or 18 years ago, there were over 3,000 buck deer harvested during the 2 week season. During the 2020, 2 week rifle season there were less than 2,000 buck deer harvested. Big difference. (I'll check the link above after this comment.)

But I also know of more and more local hunters going to other areas to hunt.

A while back I talked to a man that works for the DOH, he was telling me that just 5 years ago or so, they averaged picking up between 200 and 250 deer per month. I mean just roadkill here on the west side of the county. The day we talked he said that now, they average picking up between 40, maybe 50 deer per month. The miles of roadway and vehicle traffic have remained fairly consistent, so that should be reliable data compared to our deer herd.

I'm anxious to find out our local and statewide bear kill. Guys are telling me that they just couldn't find a track. They're out there someplace.

#27943 - 01/03/21 05:28 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
What do they do with the road killed deer?

#27944 - 01/03/21 08:15 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

Well, I told the man from the DOH, a month ago that I'd like to have a truckload. Actually, I told him that I'd take all I can get. So far they haven't delivered a single carcass.

You see, there are 2 guys that work for the state that want the carcasses for the same reason that I do, so, I'm the low man on the totem pole.

It's cold enough here now that bait will keep, and not become a rotten stinky mess. But during summer weather the the DOH will compost the carcasses.

#27947 - 01/04/21 10:29 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
If you need 40 or 50 deer a month for bait, you are doing a lot of trapping.

#27948 - 01/04/21 11:57 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

lol. The DOH haven't gave me a single deer carcass this season, yet. That one year I did have 5 on the truck. Depends on where you put them, around here the eagles will shred a 120# deer within a week.

If I get a carcass to spare I'll take it over on the north end of the Branch Mtn and put up a camera. It won't last long.

#27951 - 01/07/21 08:31 AM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

As far as I know this is the only bear picture that my cameras got during December. I have 2 cameras on the mountain that I haven't checked, for 2 weeks or so, so I may have more bear?

In the last day or 2 I've talked to some of my bear hunting friends, and they've all told me that it was hard to find a track this season. There were quite a few bear killed in this county, we'll find out in a week or so the actual harvest.

The clock on this camera is about 3 hours fast, I'd say. So the bear walked by about 3 hours after dark. The next picture is me coming off of the mountain. Notice the temperature change, from 44* to 14*.

#27954 - 01/11/21 07:00 PM Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. [Re: redsnow]

Not much action on the Wardney salt lick camera this last check. One of the very few daylight deer pictures. I do have one picture of 4 deer, looks like 2 adult does and 2 fawns?

If you've been following along with my deer pictures, remember just 2 or 3 years ago, I'd have pictures of 6, 8, or 10 deer on this camera? Not today. No bucks this check.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.