Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27970 - 01/18/21 11:17 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I think I've watched all of your videos, so far. Very good job, they are all interesting.

My opinion, and I figure most folks will agree, the way you've been narrating the videos make them more interesting. Seeing wolf, weasel, rabbit tracks and all. Plus looking at the timber, the beaver pond, the terrain and trails, etc. To me, that gives me a feel for your area.

I'm not sure how big your woodlots are in size, or how far you walked with the pups, but that was a very nice scouting trip. And you tracked quite a few critters. I noticed at the end of the video that your face and nose were reddish/pink, so you'd been out for a little bit.

It did look like ideal conditions for a walk, no wind that I could detect, and good snow.

If you didn't get that camera until Christmas, you're doing a very good job!

#27971 - 01/19/21 12:35 AM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
It was a 4 km. walk.

I received the camera at Christmas but did not begin to play with it until a few days later. The videos you see are the good stuff that went well. Thee is lots of footage I messed up and I have no clue as to what I did wrong. It is a steep learning curve and I am not very good at this type of stuff. Touch screens are not my friend!

I keep everyone's suggestions in mind as I film. I took a scenery shot, in a new video that is uploading right now thanks to your suggestion!

Thanks for the kind words.

#27972 - 01/20/21 06:18 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Good deal. I was wondering about the A Team.

I'll give you my thoughts. They are very well trained dogs, and it was obvious to see that they like to run! Well matched dogs.

Kind of hard to see, but you were moving on, And, I'll tell you they really poured it on going down in that little dip.

That's beautiful country. Nice to see the ridge or mountain top off in the distance. I forget which video, buy you sledded past a little meadow on the left the other day. Looked like a good spot to watch in the evening and maybe find a moose.

But I want to mention this: Wardney's grandson, Nathan has a Gopro camera. It's been a year or 2 ago, but he posted a video of them out rabbit hunting, on facebook. Danny and the boys have 6 or 8 beagles.

Nathan is young and sharp on computers. But in the video, once you picked up the rabbit, then you could see the dogs, they all went out of sight, when it circled back around and got within range, Nathan rolled it. Then went out and loved up on the dogs for a bit. With the camera mounted on his hat or headband, you could see the front bead of his shotgun, and you could tell when he got squared up, and ready to shoot.

Not long after the rabbit video, Nathan posted a video of him out native trout fishing. I forget where he was fishing, but the little stream was only 6 or 8 feet wide. But what made his video so interesting, you could see his hands. You could see the stream, bank to bank, you could watch him cast, working his rod, setting the hook and taking his fish off. It was almost like having the fishing pole in your own hands.

Nathan and I talked not long after, I complimented him on the videos. He was telling me about all of the different brackets and mounts that are available, to use with a Gopro. The mount that he used in the fishing video was more like a "body cam", like police have.

I searched GoPro yesterday. Found a charger and spare battery for $50. Out in cold weather, you're going to need one. Cold weather, the predators should be moving.

#27974 - 01/21/21 10:27 AM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

If there is one thing I am learning about this video stuff it is that there is always something else to buy. Kind of like archery. You are always starting over due to a broken string or a desire for better accuracy.

A body mount was considered when they bought the camera but with winter clothes it is a hassle. I might end up with one this summer Eventually I will need another battery. I received a battery charger/booster this week but I am still waiting for the new battery cover so the cable can go through.

There is no way I would change the battery in the field. My cold fingers would not be able to open the lid to the battery., It would also be dangerous to drop stuff into the snow. Add that to dogs eager to run ....

I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the tips.

#27979 - 01/23/21 12:22 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I understand what you mean about the upgrades. Always something.

I thought about cold fingers too. But one of these days, you're going to have a live wolf in a snare and the battery is going to be dead.

In the one video with the wolves howling, if that was on your woodlot, today might be the day.

#27982 - 01/24/21 11:05 AM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

The wolves howling were on the trap line. No wolves that day. I have never heard wolves howl when one is caught and waiting. I have heard wolves howl after leave with the wolf ....

The day I have a live wolf, I am not certain I will film it alive. I like to do things quick in such circumstances. I had a "dead" one come to life this year as I moved in. Gave me a start.

#27984 - 01/25/21 02:33 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I agree, there are some things that you wouldn't want to video for the public to view. You know, some folks think that it's just down right evil to have a dog on a leash. I guess they expect all of us to own a Million acres, and let our pups run wild. They've watched too many reruns of Lassie.

I can "read" you dogs well enough to see that they want to run. I see them at the end of the leash, standing up on the truck, they are ready to roll. Just thinking, if you'd have a ramp, the dogs would load up on their own.

I watched the 12km run, very nice looking country. Not sure, but I guess there might be a river at the base of that rock ledge? Very calm winds with the timber loaded. And a U-turn, I'll be.

I wanted to tell you this, there were a couple of my friends here at work the other evening, just talking about hunting and stuff. I told them to hold on for a second and check this out. I spun the computer around where everyone could see it good, and we watched your first video of the "A team". There were other folks coming and going, and they'd ask "whatcha watching?" I told them that's my man from Quebec, running his sled dogs. I'll tell you, they were glued to computer till the end. So, add another 6 or 8 likes to that video.

#27988 - 01/26/21 10:51 AM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

I am hoping to catch a wolf and to video bringing it back on the sled. They certainly fill a sled basket! I have 2 videos made of my setting but I only plan on showing them if I connect. The odds are slim as wolves can turn a big circle. Plus the unwary ones are already caught.

The u-turn is often made but that particular one had luck in it. The leads and the swing dogs went in opposite directions. That is because my swing was a lead last year. He's a good lead but sometimes he lacks guts. There is a lot of pressure being lead. All the other dogs are "chasing" you. All the dogs should have swung on the same side. The command I give is "loop."

Thanks for showing the video around! It's a solid 20 below C. today and the "A" team's turn. I am not sure if I will film. I did not film yesterday either. Cold hands!

#27989 - 01/27/21 06:59 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I'll tell you, your videos are very neat. My opinion, showing your horizon and letting us see what you're looking at adds a lot to the content and value of the film.

I just watched your latest video, I agree, what a beautiful day. Never really thought about it before, but I guess the dogs would have good traction on a packed snow machine trail. Even if it is cold, it's going to glaze over and the dogs wouldn't even know you're back there on the sled. You were moving on!

The other day you posted a video, looked to me like you were hanging on for dear life going around the left hand turn. You don't want to get hurt when it's minus 20 or 25 degrees.

I'll have friends here in the store later today, I'll let them watch. I can't imagine being on a snowboard behind the dogs.

#27992 - 01/30/21 01:37 PM Re: I started a youtube channel [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Well, your videos have had lots of views here at the store. Thanks for the free advertising.

I emailed my brother and Moe a link to the one. Moe sent me back a message: I liked it when he said "it's minus 10 and a very nice day."

I'm not sure what the proper term for this would be? But Moe is Chilly Weather Challenged. If it's cold outside, he's not coming out.

I had 11* F this morning, warmed up to fourteen already, calling for snow tonight. It should stick.

Video quality is very good, pretty scenery. I noticed that one of 2 of your videos don't have the "CC" closed caption option.

I'm not sure who had the plan to buy the Gopro for you? But it's easy to see that you're having fun with the little camera. Money well spent.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.