Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#27834 - 10/13/20 09:19 PM exact trap placement
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
There has been so much written about trap placement that it is kind of an old subject, but it interests me, especially with a new season almost ready to start.

Lets talk about a single dirt hole set for coyotes. For the most part, I have been setting back about 9", dead center, and having a minimal dirt pattern, which is blended in with the surrounding surface, look and texture. The path to the set is wide open and a critter can walk right up to the hole. I have had success and failure.

I have had numerous coyotes approach the set from the side, or perhaps a 45 degree angle, dig out the hole, make a mess, drop me a present and leave, completely missing the trap.

A new method I have been studying says that most coyotes approach a set from the side, or at about a 45 degree angle. I am believing this....

The new method explains how the trap should still be back 8 or 9 inches, offset a little, BUT a guide should be placed straight out from the hole, to "force" the critter to come in from an angle. It becomes more of a walkthrough set than a true dirt hole. There are also more guides, an inch high or less, on four sides of the trap to more or less show the critter exactly where to step. It was also stated that the reason good fox trappers aren't as successful with coyotes is because of this blocking of the "straight-on" approach. Any thoughts??

Ron

#27836 - 10/15/20 02:31 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The method you describe is the one I have been using for the last 20 years. Except I don't offset at all, and only use three foot guides instead of four. Four won't really hurt but the less the better.

#27985 - 01/25/21 02:41 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
bhugo Offline

Loc: Michigan
How big of a guide do you guys use at 6 o’clock on the trap to make it a walk through? Also, do you place all guides just outside of trap jaws?

#27990 - 01/29/21 09:32 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I do place my guides just outside the jaws and use whatever is at hand--small piece of corn cob, a small stone, a tiny pile of dirt, etc. Smaller than a golf or ping pong ball. About thumb nail size.

Ron

#27991 - 01/29/21 10:06 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
bhugo Offline

Thanks

#28008 - 02/16/21 02:53 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
bhugo Offline

Do you guys ever use found scat as guides? Where would you put the scat at for a guide around the trap? Between dirt hole and trap or 6 o clock on trap? I have tried both and haven’t found any difference. I do not run enough traps to tell if the scat helps at all statistically.....

#28021 - 02/20/21 04:53 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I often use turds as foot guides. How many times have you ever seen a coyote, or any critter, step on a turd? smile

#28025 - 02/21/21 03:22 PM Re: exact trap placement [Re: ron finewood]
bhugo Offline

Thanks

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.