Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#27940 - 12/31/20 02:45 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, I had it confirmed yesterday, Wardney did test positive for Covid. I'll try to get updates on him every day. Like I said above he's 81 or 82 now?, he's in good shape for his age, but I don't like it.

Talked to one of my buds last evening, his wife is a nurse, Patti was scheduled to get her virus shots yesterday. Their oldest son is a volunteer fireman, he said that Little Joe is also scheduled to get his virus shots.

Moe and I were distancing again yesterday. He's up in the brush above the back left corner of the field watching.

#27950 - 01/07/21 10:51 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Things have upped a lot here. We will now have a curfew from 8 pm to 5 am for a month. To be honest, this will have zero effect on my life. I also do not believe it will have any effect on slowing down the pandemic but I do not have a clue as to anything regarding disease transmission.

I do know people that have had covid. All are fine now. But I have also been told of those that were healthy but that have died. It all sounds pretty random.

What REALLY gets my goat is the people that have traveled. ESPECIALLY the politicians that are telling everyone not to travel. They post photos of themselves by the Christmas tree, as if they were at home, but get busted at the airport sporting a tan.

They do not inspire confidence as they remove freedom.

#27952 - 01/08/21 02:38 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree. But that's one of those things, some folks think that they're better than the rest of us. One of those, "I know what's best for you, do as I say, not as I do", deals.

I'm sure everyone on the forum knows that one special person that thinks that way.

The number of covid cases in this area has spiked also. The population in this county is around 13,000 (above I listed it as over 10,000), as of my last report, we've had 8 or 9 deaths related to Covid.

My high school Principle was one of them. Mr. S. was a regular customer here at the store, always called me Timmy. It's been 8 or 10 months since we'd talked in person, but he was still driving his car, and I didn't know until after his death that he'd been in a nursing home for a couple of months, he was 91. I need to call his wife, she's getting up there too.

Sandra stopped by the other week, first time I'd talked to her since her brother-in-law passed away due to Covid. We talked for a little bit. She said that Jimmy woke up one morning, not feeling 100%, and didn't think anything about it. The next morning he woke up feeling about the same, and went to his Dr. I don't know the details but he died within 2 weeks, he was 72, I think?

Talking about this stuff being random. Coming off of the mountain the other night I busted a tire on my pickup, changed it in the dark and snow. Down in Low 4, I really don't know how far I drove it on the rim, it's ruined. Figured I'd take it back to Gary's shop where I bought the tires, Monday morning. Gary's shop was closed, and had a sign on the door: Closed due to covid. . . Will reopen Jan. 4th. So, took it to the tire shop.

Gary's shop is a 2 man operation, 2 bay garage. I talked to him the other evening and he said that his man Boot's had Covid. That's what Gary told me, you know how we're right there working together, 5 days a week, Boot's got it and I didn't. But Gary's shop is open for business today.

At last report my bud Wardney is good to go.

#27953 - 01/11/21 10:28 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you another update.

Nurse Crystal that I mentioned above, she's had her second dose of vaccine. She said that her arm was sore, after the second shot, but she's fine and good to go now.

Crystal has 2 sisters, twins, Samantha and Sabrina, all 3 of the girls are nurses. Samantha worked here at the store for several years. She worked her regular job, here part time plus took college classes. Once she got her nursing degree, she moved back to southern West Virgina. Nurses are in high demand, she had a job lined up before she graduated.

I hated to see her leave the area, but I'm proud of her too. All three of the girls. Sabrina's youngest daughter is also a nurse. They've all had their vaccine.

Brenda that works here told me Friday that her father-in-law, had had his first dose of covid vaccine. Raymond has gotta be up close to 90 years old, he lives at home, so I assume that someone from the health department went and gave him the shot. Or, maybe the "home health" folks. ???

Fireman Little Joe told me the other evening that he'd had his first dose of vaccine. His mother Nurse Patti has had both of her shots.

There is a story in the front page of last weeks newspaper, the local health department administered 100 doses of vaccine. I think the cut of age was 80. Eighty. And also said they'd turned away almost 100 more folks.

So, if this is happening here in Small Town, WV. It should be happening in your area too. I'm not sure who is coordinating all of this stuff, but in my opinion they're doing a good job. A year ago we'd never even heard of Coronavirus.

#27980 - 01/23/21 02:54 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm going to update again.

My man Wardney and his daughter's family, Danny, Angie and the boys have all recovered from the virus. I was concerned about Wardney.

I just found out yesterday that five more of my friends have tested positive for Covid. Tommy and his wife are in their late 60's, they both have mild symptoms, and are doing ok.

I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned Chad (the barber) above, this thread has been going on a long time! Anyway, Chad tested positive, he's doing ok. Chad's shop is closed and I'm sure Todd's shop is busy. We only have 2 men barbers here in town. It's a chore to get your hair cut.

Teresa, (a girl that I went to school with) and her husband tested positive. Both of them had complications, as of yesterday they were feeling better. They're my age, 55.

Reading the news, you sure can see the politics involved. And then I read where some doctor was stealing vaccine for his family and friends. It makes you wonder.

A friend of mine told me a month or so ago that she would not take the vaccine, because it was developed too fast. She didn't trust it and all.

Wait 3 weeks and she changed her mind. Anyway, she told me that she called to make her appointment, and it was at a Wallgreen's Pharmacy. She got her first shot last week, no problems or anything. I'm anxious to see how much they charged her insurance company. That just sounds fishy to me.

Friends have asked me if I'd take the vaccination, I would or I will if it's offered to me, free. But it won't be at a drug store.

#27987 - 01/25/21 04:01 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Going to update again.

Teresa, my classmate that I mentioned above, her and her family live in Pendleton County. They live 50 miles from here and we don't see each other very often, now and then they'll stop by. We're friends on facebook, that's the way we stay in touch. I sent her a message and asked if they were ok. Here's her reply: (part of it)

"My husband just came home this evening from the hospital he’s been in there a week he has covid double pneumonia."

I really don't know Teresa's husband that well, I know him well enough that I'd recognize him, and that's about it. Give or take a year or two, he's right at my age. But I'll tell you a little bit about him, he's a pastor/preacher at a church, and also cuts timber for a living. So, if you're out here dragging a saw around the ridges of WV, you're probably in pretty good shape.

Teresa just sent me a message, both of her boys had Covid back in December, and are back to work now.

It's just strange, this virus hits some people like a rock, and other folks don't even know that they have it.

#27998 - 02/09/21 03:03 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Another update.

Just found out yesterday that Tommy's wife, Phyllis died. This is a small town, we know each other and all. I heard the other day that she was in the ICU, but thought she was doing ok. Phyllis is the lady that gave me heck about not having curtains on the bathroom windows at the old King's house. Moe's wife Susan and her were close friends.

Susan is scheduled to get her vaccination Friday of this week.

A friend of mine is a home health care worker, forget what her title is? But she works with folks on Hospice care. She's being tested twice per week for Covid. Monday and Thursdays. She tested negative on a Monday and positive on Thursday. She told me that she always wears a mask and gloves with her patients, and hadn't been anywhere else. To work and home. Her daughter was delivering groceries while she was stuck at home. She's back to work now, and good to go. I told her the other day that if she needs anything to give me a call, I'll drop it off on the porch and she can pay me later.

Wardney and I were playing "phone tag" the other day, finally got in touch with each other. He's hanging tight, sticking close to home. This virus has really put a strain on friendships. We haven't talked face to face for 6 weeks or so? We haven't even compared our deer horns yet.

Here's a link that Moe just sent me.

https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/Vaccine.aspx

#28097 - 04/08/21 01:46 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I noticed a month ago that this thread had been viewed over 100,000 times. This virus has changed all of our lives.

I'll give you an update from this part of the world.

Two or 3 weeks ago, Bill from the health department told me that over 51% (fifty one percent) of the counties population had been vaccinated. Bill told me that there were right at 2,000 folks vaccinated in a single day, he said with a staff of about 35.

Fast forward to Monday morning of this week. The health department called me, scheduled my appointment for Tuesday at 3:15 pm. That was for the single dose, Johnson & Johnson stuff.

I was there, the parking lot was full, I was standing there leaning on the truck talking to a man that I know sitting in his car. Two girls from the helth department came out walking toward us. I know Emily, didn't know the other girl. Emily told me go on inside, Heidi was just inside the door. Had to wear a mask. Heidi handed me a clipboard and ink pen. I filled out the one page, basic info, are you feeling ok, have reactions to this or that, signed it and handed it back to her.

Donna was standing there, and said let's go around to this side. (Donna, Bill and I graduated high school together, life in a small town.)

I'll try to describe how things were set up. They have a counter-top, built in the shape of a "T". There were 2 young ladies, one on each side, giving the shots. I didn't know the tiny little girl that gave me my shot, but I asked her to please be gentle with me. I know it's silly, but there is just something about needles that gives me the creeps. They give me cold chills, just like stepping on a rusty nail.

Thankfully, the storage room door was open, I turned my head, taking inventory of the cotton balls and gauze and all. Then it was all over and done. The young lady did a very nice job. She handed me a little alarm clock thing, kitchen timer?, set for 15 minutes. I walked around the corner into another room, there was a lady there to keep us company. Had the big screen TV on, some kind of woodworking show. At one point during my 15 minute stay, there were 5 of us in the room, not counting the lady observing us.

When my timer went off, she sent me down another hallway, I stopped and thanked the young lady that gave me the shot, and told her that she did a very good job. Bye to Donna, said Hey to Bill, chatted with Heidi for a second. My appointment was at 3:15, I was back home before 3:45 pm.

I will say one thing about our local health department, they are very well organized.

As far as side effects, I didn't sleep the best Tuesday night, had a slight headache Wednesday morning, other than that, I'm good to go. Where the girl stuck me, I've got a little red spot, almost like a tick bite.

Tuesday, after I was vaccinated, I changed clothes and tinkered around in the new shed for an hour or so. I started building that shed a year ago, finally hired a man to box it in for me. Metal roof and all 4 walls. I just haven't had time to mess with it. I'm building shelves now, in every little nook and cranny. Any little spot big enough to hold a pint jar, I'll build a shelf, it's all wood and I've used a bunch of deck screws.

#28185 - 06/06/21 01:45 PM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you another update from this corner of the globe.

Reading the news, you sure can see the politics coming out now.

Anyway. The headline in the local paper dated May 12, 2021. "County Commission Recognizes Hard Work and Dedication of Hardy County Health Department". I read the story when it first came out, it's more or less a pat on the back for everyone. There is a picture with the story, on the front page.

They were recognized for working 7 days a week for the past 14 months. I'm not sure why, but according to Bill from the health dept, this county must be way ahead of the average vaccination rate for the rest of the state. Bill told me a month ago that over 61% (sixty one) of the residents had had their shots. I'll ask him next time he comes in.

Above we were talking about my store and all, and I posted a picture of Heather that worked for me. The company where Heather works is still working a lot of Saturdays. Six days per week. Heather hasn't worked here since, I guess it was April, just after the virus hit.

I wanted to tell you a little bit about Heather. She's from the state of Oregon, long story as to how she got here, but I'm glad she did.

Heather's best friend worked here at the store 25 years ago, that's how she found out I needed help. Heather had just kicked out her husband, so she was a single Mom, working an hourly job, renting a place to live. Car payments, insurance and all of that stuff, plus trying to raise her daughter. I don't remember, the little girl would have been, I'll guess 12 years old. Heather needed a part time job.

Heather is a very smart and hard working lady, she worked her way into a salary position, with good benefits and all. Bought herself a house about 5 years ago, the little girl has grown up, graduated high school and is out in the workforce now. Jasmine might be taking college classes too, not sure?

About a year ago, Heather and her boyfriend were up on top of the mountain picking huckleberries. She said they stopped to take a break, sitting there on a big rock on the edge of the world, when he pulled a bottle of wine and 2 glasses out of his pack. And the boy asked Heather to marry him. So, they got married last summer.

Back in November Heather stopped by and gave me a hug and gave me her set of store keys. Heather told me that if I ever get in a bind on a weekend when she's free, she'd be glad to come help out. The young lady was very good help, and just like a part of my family. I hated to see her go, but I'm happy for her too.

#28191 - 06/20/21 01:07 AM Re: 2020 Virus lockdown. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

While I have a chance, I'll give you one more update.

The headline in last week's local paper, top left corner on the front page. "Covid-19 Cases in County are Dwindling".

That's good news. I read the story a week ago, and Bill from the health department, is quoted as saying the we're not out of the woods yet.

I talked to Bill last evening in person, he listed off the percentage of folks that have been vaccinated in this and that age group. Overall, from newborns to our oldest residents in this county, more than 62% have been vaccinated. That's total. According to Bill. Once you get over 40 years old, the percentage goes way up.

I look at this thread, not getting many comments and we're all tired of messing with this virus. But I also see a lot of interest. For myself, I debated if I should get vaccinated or not?

So, I asked my family and best friends. Moe was really pressing me to get the shot. Honestly, we never talked about it, but Moe avoided me for 2 or so months. We'd talk and all, but he was here and gone in 5 minutes. Told me I was "High Risk", because of my job.

Not long after, Wardney was here, finally got to show him my deer horns and all. It was right after I'd been vaccinated, and we were talking. This is what Wardney said, and I'm going to quote him: "Everyone should get vaccinated and maybe we can kill this shit out".

Wardney and I have been friends for a long time, I respect him and his opinion, we argue now and then. That's ok. But honestly, what he said makes as much or more sense than about anything else I've read or heard from the "experts".

Also wanted to mention, school is out for summer break now. Talked to 3 kids yesterday, going to the town pool. There was a big softball tournament at the park the other day (and night) sometimes those guys will play ball till 2 in the morning. I see kids here about every day wearing their cleats and uniforms. Fun Fest was last weekend. Got a sign on the door, muzzelloader shoot at the Rod & Gun club scheduled for July 17th. Poultry week. Parade and the whole works.

It's good to see.

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.