Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#28012 - 02/18/21 04:56 AM How I hang Wolf Snares
gibb Offline

Loc: North Bay Ontario
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2ADFs9oRl0g[/video]

#28013 - 02/18/21 10:32 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
Happy Birthday redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Very nice. I don't know anything about wolves but that looks like a good snare set.

Maybe I missed it? Or couldn't hear you? Neat way to set up the snare support wire.

#28014 - 02/18/21 01:07 PM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Very good. What size wire?

#28015 - 02/18/21 03:03 PM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
gibb Offline

The drill bit is 7/64 and the wire is 12 gauge, the real ticket is using the screw on snare support in combination with the wire. I believe the snare shop carries the screw on snare supports.
If you watch me closely after I insert the wire into the tree, I take my bull nose pliers and push the wire in tight.
If you use different size wire make sure the drill bit is one size smaller than the wire. If the bit is to big you will not have the same results.
Jim

#28016 - 02/19/21 08:14 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]

I'll tell you that's a good looking set up.

One thing that I'm missing, you do it so fast, how did you anchor the end of the snare? I can't hear the best and maybe I missed it, but are you using a dog snap or carabiner?

I know that's an expensive snare, easy to put up and quick to pull too.

#28017 - 02/19/21 08:58 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I tried the screw on supports and didn't like them. I tried vinyl tubing but it was much too stiff in cold weather. I switched to rubber tubing.

#28018 - 02/19/21 11:02 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
gibb Offline

My snares have 1/8 cable that I transition to 5/64 cable with a barrel swivel. I just loop the snare around the tree about three feet off the ground.
I used to use plastic tubing but for me the screw on supports work best.

#28019 - 02/20/21 08:53 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]

Ok, I watched that section again, I've got it now. (I've been watching these videos here at work and missed that part.)

Some of you guys will remember Lewis Quarles, years ago he gave a demo at a Maryland trap convention. That was the first time that I'd ever watched someone set a land snare. Lewis was using 11 gauge tie wire, and he made it a point to make sure the wire would "bite" into the tree or saplings bark. Whatever you're using for a support, twist it up tight with your pliers, make it really cut in.

For the actual part of his support wire that was holding the snare in place, he'd just make a little kink in the wire and crimp it down tight on the snare, just above or oustide of the lock.

I've never used tubing or the twist on things. I kind of like the way that Newt showed me, with 2 strands of twisted 14 gauge wire, and an "S" loop. I'll take my snips/side-cutters, and make the "S" just as small and as tight as I can. With small cable like 5/64th's, it'll kink your snare wire, but it does hang on very tight.

#28020 - 02/20/21 08:54 AM Re: How I hang Wolf Snares [Re: gibb]
bhugo Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Very nice setup. I like the video. Very streamlined system.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.