Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#28026 - 02/21/21 05:47 PM wax
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
I bought a used metal pot, with a cover, years ago for waxing traps. I don't know the actual size but it's about the size of a soccer ball. I originally bought enough trappers wax to fill it 2/3's full. Every year I add a couple of cakes as I wax, to keep it at the 2/3's full mark. Its been about 6 or 8 years on this pot. This past fall, I had more dig ups and flipped traps than normal, with Coyotes. What would contaminate my wax pot? Would the age of the wax have a negative effect? I am trying to determine the reason for the increased dig ups.

Ron

#28027 - 02/22/21 04:42 PM Re: wax [Re: ron finewood]
bhugo Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Dead mouse? They like to get into places you never thought they could and die. Next time you melt it, take a look for remains...

Sounds hard to track down the culprit without finding something obvious.

I used to demote my canine wax to water trap wax every couple years before using rusty primer dip. That might save you from having to waste the wax.

#28028 - 02/22/21 06:44 PM Re: wax [Re: ron finewood]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I do like bhugo. Suspect K-9 wax would be repurposed for water trap use

That being said my k-9 wax hasn't been completely changed out in probably 10 years

#28029 - 02/23/21 07:57 AM Re: wax [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm on approximately the same schedule as Ric.

As for your dig-ups. Sometimes that remains a mystery. Even after 60 years of trapping, I get dig ups that I can't explain. There are such things as wised-up critters.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.