Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#2803 - 12/31/10 01:54 PM Fisher Trapping
Phesnt Offline

Loc: NH
As the NH season closes I am dumbfounded. This is my first year so my expectations were low but not this low. I was able to score a fisher on the third day on a leaning pole set with beaver meat as bait and "gusto" as a call lure. I had 8 to 12 traps in three different areas with no results. As of late I have had tracks right to the pole where one even urinated under the pole. We got a lot of snow at the beginning of the week and that seemed to slow all movement down for a few days. I also had cubbies with 160's in them with no results. I figured the fisher that wouldn't commit to the pole would try the cubby. Any suggestions for next year???

#2804 - 01/05/11 01:35 PM Re: Fisher Trapping
HotFoot Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Refusal to climb the pole is not uncommon. I rub the beaver bait along the pole before attaching it above the trap, and also apply fish oil (the rancid stuff)to the pole. You might consider freshening up your bait if it has dried out, or switch to a different type (fish, venison, etc..)
Good Luck!

#2805 - 01/06/11 03:17 AM Re: Fisher Trapping
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
You did pretty well only trapping three areas and catching one your first year out. You can put a trap on a fisher travel route and not have one come through in 30 days. How close together were your three areas? How far apart were your sets? They have a large home range, especially the males. Your methods sound pretty good I think you just didn't have many fisher travel by your sets. I caught three, two males and a female. I started on the 13th. I had traps in five areas,(forty + mile round trip checks) eight traps total and I pulled three sets the day before the snow 'cause I didn't have time to walk in every day to check. I had a male fisher go by one of my set and not even give it a glance. That happens. If he would have come through again before the end of season I think I would have caught him, but he didn't. I tried 160 cubbies on the ground for a couple of years, my first fisher was in a ground cubby. I also had non target catches that ended my use of cubbies with square traps and cost me a permit. I have also tried them with foot traps and got nothing to show for it. They are fun to make though. My suggestions for next year will be after you answer my questions.

Dan smile

#2806 - 01/14/11 01:21 AM Re: Fisher Trapping
Phesnt Offline

Loc: NH
The three area's were within a 25 mile radius. I admittedly didn't give the furthest area enough time. I pulled after the first week. Just couldn't get to them after work every night. Too far. The other two were spaced about 15 miles apart. I put 4 sets at each location spaced about 100 yards apart. I found new area's too late in the season and will mark that in my log for next year. I always wondered about incidentals in cubby's and was somewhat concerned about that. I did get a weasel in one of the cubby's. Someone also mentioned that the Grawe's fisher getter lure is better because it hangs on longer in then cold. Maybe try multiple lures next year.

#2807 - 01/20/11 02:24 PM Re: Fisher Trapping
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
Fishers are neat critters..lived in Maine a few years and caught a fair amount of fishers and martens...So here's my 2 cents worth..

Gusto? tried it wasn't impressed.Cronks allagash fur call and Northwest Predator Controls Magnum Marten did well for me..Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing cravens lures cause they make up most of my lure usage..All that lure smells like skunk and junk to me..There is some type of other smells or what not that make them alittle better I guess.

Fishers are like any other critter.."location" My best spots where a beaver dam edges inside or next too a ceder swamp.Also if you guys are allowed to bait bears WOW what a hot spot..At old Bear bait sites in Maine,the Fisher,Marten and Coon love them and will visit them all winter.Set those up if you have them.On good nut years,when there is alot of Beech nut the males love to fill up on them.Why the males and not the Females? I've ask alot of old woods trappers the same thing..I still don't have any idea,but those high ridges that hold nuts will hold the fishers until the snow gets to deep .As far as bait,I used Beaver because I had alot of it..Fishers are like Teenagers they eat everything.I've caught them on jelly trapping for Martens ....

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.