Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#2808 - 11/18/09 03:56 PM Fox deficating at set.
stump Offline

Loc: S.E. Indiana
I'm new here just recently started trapping again. I made a 120 cubby set for mink near a beaver dam 2 ft from waters edge.On my check tonight found fox tracks and scat right at this set touching the 120. The lure I used was a muskrat gland lure. made several sets around the pond, pockets, blind trail, even a "slickum" set where a creek feeds in. All lured differently.Why would a fox do this? traps are dyed and waxed, never touched without gloves, and it didnt bother any other sets.Any help is greatly app. thanks confused

#2809 - 11/18/09 07:28 PM Re: Fox deficating at set.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't know exactly what causes fox to do this. It seems to be an expression to a situation they find unusual. I've often had fox defecate right on top of traps that were dug up or fired at the set. And frankly I don't believe it was that fox that fired the trap. It just discovered it that way. You will also often see fox defecating a short distance from sets they "don't like". I don't think it's a function of anything in particular, just the fox reacting to the situation. Make a new clean set nearby.

P.S. Wearing or not wearing gloves to handle your traps will have little effect on your results.

Hal

#2810 - 11/19/09 08:12 AM Re: Fox deficating at set.
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
Coyotes will react simular as well. When I first started coyote trapping, I unfortunately seen the scat around 5-6 feet away from the set and leaving his calling card. Fox that would do that are much closer to my set. As I improved as a trapper this seems to have become a rare event.
I found a way to take advantage of the situation. Where the scat was left, set another trap next to the scat and many times you will catch the critter as they revisit the site.

#2811 - 11/19/09 12:39 PM Re: Fox deficating at set.
stump Offline

Thanks, I think im going to set a couple blind sets on the trail maybe pick it up.

#2812 - 11/20/09 03:10 PM Re: Fox deficating at set.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Here you go - from today's trapline. This set (arrow) held a coyote two days ago. The fox didn't like it, I guess.

Hal

#2813 - 11/20/09 06:06 PM Re: Fox deficating at set.
stump Offline

Just glad it's not just me Hal. LOL

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.