Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28111 - 04/15/21 09:55 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
" We don't want our roads baby butt smooth, but it's getting to the point where you'd better pick your way down that little cove, or you'll break a tie-rod, poke a hole in the oil pan or tear off the gas tank. It's getting pretty mean."

That is when you take the ATV off the back of your truck and continue from there.

#28112 - 04/15/21 11:16 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Or just take it to the shop and weld up a 1/2 inch thick skid plate from front to back. I'd have it dinged up in no time.

#28115 - 04/16/21 10:19 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
Or just take it to the shop and weld up a 1/2 inch thick skid plate from front to back. I'd have it dinged up in no time.

I have the skid plates. The problem isn't the banging. The problem is staying jacked on something.

My main problem isn't the condition of the old roads. It is the width. They get overgrown in a hurry. The paint takes a beating.

#28116 - 04/17/21 11:39 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
You told us before that you haul a "hi-lift" jack with you, it would come in handy in that situation. I have one of those jacks too. For anyone that's never used one, you can lift one end of a vehicle without much effort.

#28117 - 04/18/21 09:49 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Yep. Lift and then place stuff under the wheels.

Jacking the vehicle itself does not require much effort. However, it is a situation where you have to pay close attention in order to not get hurt.

The jack must not slide sideways. You must be careful placing things under the wheels. And you must not get the jack handle in the face as you lower the truck. Be careful of the things you placed under the the wheels flying out as you move the truck, too.

All told, a situation best avoided.

#28118 - 04/18/21 03:12 PM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
In my situation in the pics I shared, those four foot tall jacks would not be adequate. I was stuck in two feet deep mud. By the time the jack could get the sagging wheel axle up high enough to place stuff under the wheels, I'd probably need a six foot tall jack stand! grin Calling the neighbor was the best option, with six hours of shoveling being a nasty second option.

Frank.

#28244 - 08/17/21 08:42 AM Re: Mud in your eye! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Newiro Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Spain
I am missing driving in the mud, been years

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.