Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28145 - 05/11/21 07:05 PM Why in the name of sin...
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Why would they make a pellet gun scope parallax corrected to 150 yards? frown

#28147 - 05/12/21 12:25 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That's so you can look at the animal before you make your stalk.

A while back a boy tried to sell me his .32 caliber pellet rifle, it waas a Remington, forget what model? It's high dollar for a pellet rifle.

I took it out back and shot into the willow tree, I'll tell you the gun cracked about as loud as a .22 long rifle. I'm not sure what the velocity is on that gun, but it's darned sure not a toy.

#28148 - 05/12/21 03:51 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Using your scope like binoculars is a good way to have an accident.

#28149 - 05/13/21 11:25 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

No, I'd rather not see anyone waving their rifle around like you would a flashlight.

Yesterday I searched for a .32 pellet gun, and I can't find one. Maybe I misunderstood what he said? But I was sure he told me .32. Thirty two - Twenty two, not much difference through my ears.

Remington .22 caliber pellet rifles sell in the $150 - $200 range. The gun the boy brought in here was a single pump, breakdown type. All black, heavy for an air rifle and I remember the trigger pull sucked. Don't remember what brand of scope was on it?

I called and left a message, I'm curious myself now, just what he did have.

#28150 - 05/13/21 01:00 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
According to the gun gurus in my magazines, you CAN use an air rifle scope on rimfire rifles, thus the parallax settings can range out to that 150 yards. However, you CAN NOT (read should not) use a rimfire scope on an air rifle. Something to do with a double recoil of the air rifle that trashes the scope if not designed for it.

Frank.

#28151 - 05/13/21 03:10 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I've heard the same thing. Yet and still, who needs even a rimfire scope parallax corrected to 150 yards. For years I used centerfire scopes on my .22's because they had a 1 inch tube and the glass was brighter. Still if you didn't take special care to center you eye in that scope, those crosshairs might not be lookin' where the gun is shootin'. Eventually they came out with some good 1-inch rimfire scopes, and if you looked hard enough you could find them parallax corrected to 50 yards. That's my preference.

#28152 - 05/13/21 05:58 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]

Yeah, old farts like us are satisfied with 50 yd shots. I can't see much beyond that anyway. But these young dudes with their new fangled .177 air rifles and rim fired ones can reach out to a couple hundred yards. Expensive scopes that can dial in parallax from 10 yards to infinity sit on top of these also expensive rifles. Shooting 1250 fps with these rifles is probably the reason behind the sin.

A quick anecdote here; I got my first scope education when I purchased a used bolt action .22 rifle back in the 60s. Had a 4X scope on it that I figured needed cleaning. I removed both ends of it and ran a rag down the center of the tube. Wiped out the fine wire cross hairs. Stuffed the thing into the closet and didn't bring it back out till after I got married. After scrutinizing it, I decided I'd replace the thin wire cross hairs with two sections of my bride's blond hair, which is supposed to be the thinnest of the hair colors. Still have that rifle, and the blond cross hairs are still intact. And on our camp shooting range, I can shoot the cap off of a spray paint can from our 57 yd bench rest. smile

Frank.

#28153 - 05/14/21 10:16 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Frank, that is a really great story. How did you attach the hair to the lens?

#28154 - 05/14/21 11:37 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

That's good shooting too.

When I first read Frank's comment, the Norden bombsight used during WWII came to mind. There are a thousand links out there, but here is one.

https://www.skyline725.com/blond-hair-and-the-norden-bombsights-a-fascinating-wwii-story/

#28156 - 05/14/21 02:14 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: redsnow]

Interesting story about the bombsight. Provides some negative thoughts about 'dumb blonde jokes'! grin

Mush dude. Might be hard to understand, but here goes. The scope only has a lens on each end of the tube. In the middle of the tube there is a sort of hinged small metal donut that has the cross hairs fastened to it. The shooter looks through the donut, hence seeing the cross hairs. The donut is located between what would be the elevation and windage screws, that allow for sighting adjustments. I don't remember what I used to fasten the blonde hairs to the metal donut. I'm guessing some sort of white glue. They didn't have 'super glue' back then. The hairs are really not extremely thin, and therefore blot out, somewhat, the center of the target. I guess you just have to get to know how the thing shoots. Getting lucky also helps!! grin

Frank.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.