Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28157 - 05/15/21 10:33 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Thanks for the news article and the explanations, guys.

#28158 - 05/15/21 03:04 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I have one of those "target" scopes. Paid pretty good money for it too. It has an adjustable objective 15 yards to infinity. The turrets are exposed and hand adjustable and they stick way out from the scope. If I was shooting prairie dogs off the truck hood, it would be okay, but it is not real handy for carrying in the woods. My complaint here is a $40 4X scope, why should a low end scope like that have 150 yards parallax correction? Kinda silly.

#28159 - 05/17/21 11:39 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, for $40 take all you can get.

Stevie, the boy with the pellet rifle stopped by, his gun is a .25 caliber. I bought it and then sold it back to him. He only gave me one pellet or I'd have played with it more. Do a search, Remington .25 pellet gun. It's not a toy, and you're looking at $400.

Talking about scope inards and all, a rifle scope is a delicate little instrument. Years ago we had a scope that had one of the hairs knocked out of place.

Keep in mind this is a 40 year old memory. Dad gave me the green light, so I took it apart. The doughnut thing that Frank mentioned had notches cut on the 4 corners. Top, bottom, right and left. That's where the original hairs went.

I'd been reading about these "post" type reticles, thought that would be pretty neat to have one. So, I started out with a stick pin. The've got a nice sharp point and all, right?

I cliped off the tip of a pin and, like Frank, probably used a speck of Elmer's glue. Let everything dry and put it back together. Hold your arm out at arm's length and stick you thumb up, now try to draw a bead on top of your thumb. That's about what a stick pin looks like magnified. Well, that ain't gonna work. So, I tore it apart again.

I took the very smallest sewing needle that comes in the pack, clipped off the tip and finally got it right. Keep in mind all of this stuff is inside a one inch tube. If you're off a fraction back here, you're off a mile out there and you'll run out of adjustment. I don't remember how many times I took that thing apart, but I had it down pat!

I had it mounted on a Winchester .22 semi. I took it out and got it zeroed, had it right on the money.

I remember one of the very first shots through the "new" scope. I was out on the farm, down over the hill, across the run and out in the bottom field there was a groundhog feeding along. I sneaked around the smokehouse, down prone with a rest off the yard fence. Just checking out the new reticle, it looked good.

I sized up about where I should hold and touched one off, and killed it with my first shot. But it did look and work good.

#28160 - 05/17/21 03:05 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
Hal Offline

If you wanna buy this one for $40.00 -- I'll pay the shipping. smile smile

#28161 - 05/18/21 11:29 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm. Forty bucks is forty bucks. Hmmm. . . Hmmm. . .

Let me think about this for a minute. (Forty bucks, that's 2 Twenty Dollar bills. A Ten and two 5's. Four Five's. Four rolls of Quater's. Eight rolls of Dimes.)

Hmmm. . . Hmmm. . .

Tell you what I'd do. I'll offer you $50. Fifty bucks Cold Hard Cash on the barrelhead! And I want the barrel too. One good solid oak whiskey barrel and you've got yourself a deal!

Edited by redsnow (05/18/21 11:33 AM)

#28162 - 05/18/21 11:31 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

#28163 - 05/19/21 01:00 AM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Way back when, we could buy used booze barrels. Some people would fill them with hot water and get some booze flavoured water. We bought several and cut them in two as planters. They cost ten bucks.

#28164 - 05/20/21 12:30 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

Booze water. Brings a whole new meaning to Maxwell House coffee's famous slogan: Good to the last drop.

Around here you can buy half barrel planters. A while back I found a place that was selling used whiskey barrels, I think for $65 each. Not sure where they came from? We have places fairly local that make beer, I know 3 or 4 guys that make moonshine, just for their own use and all. But we just don't have any distilleries anywhere near here. Get down in Tennesee or Kentucky and they're all over the place.

Talking about our rifle scopes I wanted to tell you this. I always shoot my rifles before the big game seasons start, just to make sure they're zeroed. Everyone should, I know ammo is expensive and hard to find now, but you gotta do it anyway.

Season before last I was out at the range, set up my targets and then noticed my crosshairs looked a little fuzzy. I'm getting older and my eyesight has changed, so I adjusted the eyepiece of the scope a little bit, until the crosshairs were crisp and clean again.

I had a bipod on the rifle, I squared up and fired a shot. I looked at the bullet hole and thought, they're ain't now way that gun is off that much. Well, it was. It was off way too much to hunt with. I tinkered around and got it back where I wanted it. Fired another shot or 2, everything was good, so put that one back in the case.

The second rifle I fired, I adjusted the eyepiece on it too. And the same thing happened, it was way off. Tinkered around and got it back where I like it.

I fired my third rifle, didn't mess with the scope on it, and it was right on the money.

All 3 of those guns have top of the line scopes, so if you ever mess with the eyepiece, you'd better set up a target.

#28165 - 05/20/21 01:40 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content

I just asked one of my gun guys, this is his reply: It will not change impact, however it may change your perceived point of aim a bit

It sure did change it for me.

#28166 - 05/20/21 04:41 PM Re: Why in the name of sin... [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Originally Posted By: redsnow
it may change your perceived point of aim a bit.

Exactly. You can see this for yourself. Clamp one of those 150 scopes in a vice and aim it at a 25 yard target. Move your head back and forth and watch those cross hairs jump around on the target.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.