Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#28339 - 03/02/22 05:33 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
So Tim, I guessing you wont be getting one of them 500 Jefferys today. Hey, 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' anyway!

Frank.

#28340 - 03/03/22 02:31 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Frank, thanks for the birthday wish. I'm 57 now. Should have enough birthday apple pies to last me for 10 days or better.

No, I have no intentions of buying a 500 Jeffery. Unless it's cheap. And that ain't gonna happen.

Talking about sighting in a gun, Moe and I always go to the shooting range 2 maybe 3 times a year. We'll just go out and plink now and then too.

Last fall we sighted in a new rifle, it's my gun, I've owned it for 30 years but never did shoot it. It's a Remington 721, 30-06 Springfield. According to the numbers, looks like it was made in 1950 or so.

I had a local guy tune up the trigger and float the barrel, and mount a scope for me. I didn't have time to mess with it. Anyway, we took it to the range, shooting it sandbagged, I fired 2 shots and had Moe make the adjustments. Up or down, right or left, we had it pretty good, on the 3rd shot.

The M721 came out with a metal buttplate, not much of a recoil pad. I fired 10 rounds, just shooting it with one hand sandbagged, just to see what kind of groups I could get. It thumped me pretty good, and it shows promise.

I honestly don't like the scope and it's mounted on a cheap set of scope rings and bases. When I get a chance, I'll mount a better scope, with better rings and all. And we'll see what it will do. Some of these old rifles will shoot like nobody's business. We'll see.

Well, I finally checked my Spring camera the other day. I hadn't checked it since Christmas day, so 2 months worth of pics. No fox or coon pictures, one bobcat and a pair of coyotes just recently. Picture of an owl, a 4-pt buck in January. That's about it. No bear, so I guess they did move out or hole up?

The other day when I checked the spring camera, I carried up my grubbing hoe, spent about an hour scratching out a bigger water hole. I've got the lower puddle reamed out to about 10 feet long now. Not many deer up there, but they've gotta have water. Camera batteries were at 6%, I won't check it for a while. Not much action on the other cameras either.

West Virginia's bear harvest was down 20% during the 2021 season. I'll try to find that link and post it later.

#28341 - 03/03/22 09:49 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#28342 - 03/03/22 09:53 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#28343 - 03/03/22 09:56 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This link will make you shake your head.

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/01/27/w-va-...-investigation/

#28344 - 03/03/22 10:26 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/01/12/popular-mountaineer-heritage-hunting-season-is-here/

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/01/04/charleston-hunter-scores-three-trophy-bucks-in-a-single-season/

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/10/19/the-f...omes-this-week/

I read another story a while back talking about our mast crop, other than hickory nuts, we had a very poor mast year, in this part of the state. I know of an area that had a very good grape crop and another area where we had a very good gum berry crop. As a rule around here, it was slim pickings for the game.

Before I forget, I did see a small 6-point buck on February 13th, Moe had a small buck on camera 2/18/22, both of them still have both antlers. They should be dropping off soon.

#28351 - 03/08/22 01:20 AM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
jarentz Online   content

Loc: central pa.
The last couple of days felt like spring 70 degrees!! calling for snow tomorrow night.

#28353 - 03/09/22 12:49 AM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That's about the same as we've had here. I remember Sunday morning, it had warmed up into the 50's overnight, rained off and on all day Sunday. Yesterday (Monday), we had a strong south wind, I think we hit a high temperature of 72*. We're back into the 40's now with a chance of rain, ice and snow.

Our ground is wet and warm now.

Above we were talking about or mast crop. I noticed 6 or 8 weeks ago that our deer have really been working on pine brush and laurel. Some areas worse than others.

A while back I was out on one of the local hunt clubs, that club is only 2,300 acres. But once you get to the property line, behind a locked gate, there is a big sign, it's like 3 feet square. Can't miss it. This is what it says:

'PLEASE SAVE OUR DOES. In order to reestablish the population, please refrain from shooting does, unless you are a youth hunter or it is your first deer. This is voluntary and we would appreciate your help".

The theory being (and I agree with the theory), that if we'd cut our female deer some slack for 4 or 5 or 6 years, our population will rebound. But it's not just this one little club of 2,300 acres, you can talk to about anyone that hunts in the mountains and they'll tell you the same thing. If we are all in aggreement and stick to the plan, it will make a difference. In my opinion it has started to make a difference.

Nobody is going to get upset or bent out of shape if someone does kill a doe or 2. The club is just asking everyone to cut them some slack.

Don't want anyone to thing that I'm against killing does, I'm not. I've shot my share, but when I go doe hunting, I'm going to go down along the river someplace and get an easy one.

Here's an interesting link:

https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/do-white-tailed-fawns-breed/

There is another link about fawns breeding, I'll try to find it later.

#28354 - 03/09/22 12:52 AM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#28356 - 03/09/22 03:07 PM Re: Quest for Ole Big Foot. [Re: redsnow]
jarentz Online   content

Loc: central pa.
Very interesting link,we had a problem with a low deer population about 10 years ago.The game commission cut back on doe tags and it seem to help some.But you could go for a drive and see 5 or 6 doe with only one or two fawns with the whole group.Then one year a group of dog hunters shot 19 coyote in the general area, the next spring you would see 5 or 6 doe with six or eight fawns. Our game commission claim that black bear kill alot of new born fawns.But I really took notice of more
deer when that group of hunters shot them 19 coyotes. (we only had enough snow to cover the grass)

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.