Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#28675 - 03/31/23 12:31 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Sorry for the delay.

Yes, West Virginia sales tax is 6%. I live in one of about 5 towns within the state where sales tax is 6.5%

I forget exactly how that happened, (the town is greedy) I remember there was a big stink about in the local newspaper for weeks.

There is no tax on food, but we do have a beverage tax. Just say that you'd buy a bag of chips and a Pepsi. No tax on the chips, but 6.5% on the Pepsi. Outside of town, your Pepsi would be taxed at 6%.

I remember folks saying: Well, it's only 0.5% difference. Buy a vehicle, that extra half percent adds up.

Here at work I do have a "sales tax exemption number", we use it for items that are for resale.

Moe stopped by yesterday and checked out the new kayaks, he's PO'd because he paid about $100 more for his, and had to buy a paddle.

About my ears, I'm tone deaf. Part of it is hereditary, from Mom's side of the family, and part of it from my lifestyle. The jobs I've had, equipment, dirt bikes, chainsaws, gun powder, etc.

I can hear, but if there is something like a TV on, or other folks chatting, that makes it really hard to figure out what's what.

I know a man that recently got a set of hearing aids, he's a little bit older than me, but his lifestyle has been very similar to mine. I keep forgetting to ask him, but I know at the time, they were driving him crazy. I hear stuff constantly, he did too. His Dr. told him that after time, those sounds should fade or lessen. But I'll ask him how that's working for his aids.

If I'm not mistaken, he paid about $10,000 for his set. Not positive, but I think Mom's were around 3K each.

Like me on the phone, I have folks call here, it sounds like they're calling from inside the dog pound, at feeding time, kids screaming, TV blasting, I just can't make out squat! I'll tell them that you've got a lot of noise on your phone, can you go to a better spot? They can go outside or to another room and we can talk just fine.

#28676 - 03/31/23 02:28 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: redsnow
I can hear, but if there is something like a TV on, or other folks chatting, that makes it really hard to figure out what's what.

Then you can't hear. That's a classic sign of hearing loss. I know, I've been there. As far as being overwhelmed with new sounds -- It's what you get used to. If you are used to diminished hearing, and all of a sudden you can hear normally, you'll think something's wrong. It's like staying in a dark room then all of a sudden dashing out into the sunlight -- it bothers your eyes. I had a little trouble with "new" sounds at first. That's one reason you are supposed to wear your hearing aids all the time, so you will get acclimated to hearing again. As for cost, in August 2022, the FDA created a new category of over-the-counter hearing aids. That knocked the snot out of the brick and mortar sellers. My first Beltone hearing aids were $7,000. My new ones I bought on line were $1,500 and they are better than the Beltone.

#28677 - 04/03/23 11:18 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I'll admit that I can't hear. You see, I've had hearing trouble since I was a kid.

Today, I see young kids with hearing aids. 50 years ago, hearing aids were a new thing or just being developed.

Uncle Randolph (one of Mom's brothers) was about the first person that I can remember ever having hearing aids. It was probably back in the late 70's or so? I remember that he told us, once you start using hearing aids, if you take them out, you're almost or nearly deaf. That was a long time ago, I'm sure that they have improved.

Just thinking about the folks that I know and deal with that have hearing aids, about half of them still can't hear.

I can think of 2 or 3 other guys that recently got their first set of hearing aids, I'll ask around and see how they are getting along.

I did look online the other day, and found a few links to digital hearing aids. That might be the way to go? The prices looked to be $1,000 or so?

One thing that I will say, I'm very protective of what hearing that I do have. I have earplugs everywhere. And safety glasses.

#28698 - 05/22/23 11:30 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

My daughter and I finally had a chance to get our kayaks on the water yesterday. It was Kim's first kayak trip, I've had her in the boat and in canoes before, kayaks are a little bit different.

We've had a chilly spring and the water is cold, I had 46* this morning. But it turned into a beautiful day yesterday, looks like today will be nice too.

I debated where to take her for her first kayak run. We went to a patch of water she's never floated before. I could tell she was kind of stiff, a little bit uncomfortable there for the first 3/4's of a mile or so. Then I could tell she'd loosened up and was having fun.

Be both got soaked, from paddle drips and splashes and all. But we spent about 4 hours on the water, and went down the creek right at 4 miles. Other than a man and woman at their river camp, mowing grass, we didn't see a soul. Just a pretty day to be out and Kim had a blast. She's #1.

#28718 - 06/17/23 11:39 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you an update on the latest water adventures. My daughter Kim and I have been out 2 more times in our kayaks. We've got a few folks here on the forum that are familiar with our local streams. So, I'll tell you where we were and conditions.

For our second float, we put in at the Rt. 220 bridge, in Petersburg, WV. We floated down to the Gap Bridge. That's a 3 mile trip, Kim and I made it in an hour and fifteen minutes. That's actuall time that we were on the water. The water was low and cold. But we made good time, and that's a nice ride.

On our 3rd trip we started at the Gap bridge and paddled to the Fisher bridge. That's an 8 mile run, and took us 5 hours. I'll tell you there are a couple tricky spots on that run. One spot a tree uprooted on the west bank, and the crown of the tree is across the main channel of the river. It's between the access point and the Gap bridge, you can't see it till you're almost on it.

Kim was about 50 feet in front of me, headed right into the tree top. I yelled: HARD RIGHT hARD RIGHT. She made a power stroke on her left, turned her boat 90* and before she could make a stroke on the right, her paddle was up in the brush.

If she'd had another 5 seconds, she'd have been in the clear.

The current took Kim and her kayak into that pile of trash broadside, the water had it crammed in there pretty good. Kim just fell out and was standing there, water about 4 feet deep. I told her to hang tight as I beached my boat.

Her kayak was wedged on 2 big tree limbs, kind of cocked up at like at a 45, with a foot deep bead of water holding it there. Long story short, if that kayak didn't self bail, it would have been a real pain to get it unstuck. I got my arms under the thing and lifted it up a little bit, once it bailed itself, then I could handle it.

I plopped it back into the water, it took off, Kim grabbed the T-handle on the back end. The kayak yanked her across that log and down the creek she went. She's scratched up a little bit, across her legs and her arms. Other than a couple bruises on her arms, she's good to go.

I'll add more in a bit.

#28719 - 06/17/23 01:17 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

One thing that I will add, Kimberly was wearing her PFD.

If you know the river, there is a tricky spot where the railroad tracks are beside the river. The water is fast and it'll keep driving you into the big rocks. It's been like that forever.

I guess it'd be about a mile above the Fisher bridge, there is a bad spot. The water breaks hard to the left, swirls around the undercut roots. It's not like a half-moon, it's more like a 3/4 moon. Brush overhead and all.

The other day when Kim and I took that float, we'd just passed a young couple in a canoe, just above this spot. I told Kim to beach her boat, I tied the 2 kayaks together and walked them down the bank. Just like walking a dog. We walked down in the shallow water, 50 feet or so?

Kim and I were getting ready to get back in our kayaks, when we heard the canoe crash. I could see the young man up there, fighting and pulling on the brush over his head, couldn't see the girl, she was back around the corner. Hell, you could look at that mess and they should have known, that the water was going to smash them into the roots.

They finally got squared up and came out, right beside of us. I told them: I didn't want to take that chance with my daughter. When you go under brush like that, you always come out covered in cobwebs with spiders crawling all over you.

Anyway, Kim is doing very good, she's getting pretty good at reading the current and picking her line.

So far, I've had her on the rivers 3 times, we've put in 15 miles and she's had 10 hours of seat time. We're planning on going out again tomorrow. We're going to put in where we took out last week, not sure how far down we'll go yet.

#28720 - 06/19/23 05:14 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, my daughter and I were on the water again. Kim and I paddled 4.5 miles yesterday, and right at 2 hours.

That puts her at 19.5 miles, (we'll call it 20 miles) in her new kayak, and 12 hours.

Last week we were paddling into a pretty good headwind. That slowed us down.

Lots of folks on the water yesterday, beautiful day, the water is low, but nice.

Kim wants to go again this coming weekend, we've got another 5-mile run planned. Depending on the weather.

We need rain, more water in the creek. But I've got 3 or 4 places that she's never seen firsthand. That one section, I've never floated, looking forward to checking it out too.

She's pretty comfortable in her boat now. She's having fun. So, we'll go out every chance we get.

We've been seeing lots of waterfowl, ducks and geese. I think we're up to 4 snakes so far. One small mink, 3 or 4 eagles. A few golden trout. Carp and stuff.

#28740 - 07/13/23 11:20 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you an update on the water sports. The other week, 4 of us were out, it was the first time that Moe had his kayak on the water. Moe's kayak is a Lifetime Tamarack.

It was just a short float, Moe and I didn't talk much while we were on the river, I was in the back of the pack. We talked about it on the way home, he likes his new boat. I'll tell what I told Moe. This spring and summer, I've looked at 100 different kayaks or more.

I've watched them on the water, people loading and unloading, honestly, I haven't noticed a single one that I like more than the one that I have. For what Kim and I have been doing, the water that we've floated, they work nice.

Talked to Tucker the other day (one of Wardney's grandsons), and showed him my kayak. Tucker has a Jackson brand kayak, it's top of the line and high dollar both. As well as I remember his kayak is 12'6" and weighs 120 pounds. Tuck drives a small, short-bed pickup, he has to use a trailer to haul his kayak. A trailer is no big deal, but yet it's still a pain in the butt.

I can haul our kayaks on my short-bed S10. At 10' and only 60 pounds, that's a big difference.

But a bunch of us are going to try to get together one day and go for a float, have someone with a trailer come and pick up all of us.

#28742 - 07/17/23 11:57 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

my daughter and I were on the water again yesterday. I'll tell you, when we pulled into the access, there were 2 pickups, that kind of had it blocked. We talked to them, they had 8 kayaks and 3 tubes, lined up at the river bank. They asked us for directions, as to where the next access was located. That's kind of a messed up deal, the river isn't marked, if you don't know where to take out. You'll blow right on past. No cell phone service down there either.

Above we were talking about kayaks, we met a young man from the next county, down North of here. He had a Pelican, fishing kayak. I'll tell you that was a nice looking kayak, it weighed more than my kayak. He was there waiting to get on the water, same as Kim and I. I helped him carry his boat down and keep it steady, while he climbed inside. Getting into and out of a kayak, is the tricky park. Once he was ready, I gave him a little shove and he was off.

First and only time I've ever met the man, so far.

Kim and I put our kayaks in at the same time, we floated 5 miles in 2 hours flat. Kim and I talked about it going down the creek, we were making good time. No game to speek of, a blue heron and, give or take, 20 Canadian geese.

Also showed Kim where I caught my first beaver, that's been a long time ago. That little point hasn't changed much. But there was ice on the river back then.

Anyway, we had a good run. Kim is up to 25 miles, in her new kayak. Kim is comfortable in her boat, and I've got some good runs lined up. She'll get wet, both of us!

#28743 - 07/30/23 02:44 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The forum has been very very quiet. Guys, we could have a more interesting conversation, if we'd have more input.

Everyone likes to hear a good fishing story. If you take the kids out and catch a nice mess of bluegills, let's hear it. If the Ole' biggun snapped your line, let's hear it.

My daughter was busy last weekend, so we haven't had our kayaks out anymore. I'll tell you we're dry here, and it's been hot. I had 72* at 6 am the other morning, and 80* at 8 am.

The South Branch of the Potomac River is just about as low as she goes. The river level has dropped 15 inches or so, in the last 2 weeks. We've had little hit and miss thunder storms and all, but we are dry!

Anyway, I haven't talked about swimming. I've been out six times so far this spring/summer. The water is warm now. Honestly, I'm not finding much.

The first time that I was swimming, with my mask and all, I could on see about 3 feet. That's borderline for me. A lady that lives upstream, reported that she got 1.4 inches of rain in 20 minutes. Think that was 2 days before I went swimming, I just caught the tail end of the dark/muddy water.

The second and third times that I was swimming, visibility in the water was about 4 feet. The 4th and 5th trips, it was up to 6 to 7 feet. The other day, I could see 8 feet plus.

One thing that I want to tell you, the last time that I was out, I was just coasting, a little bit faster that the water speed. I noticed something square, it's just out of place, and that's what I look for. Anything that's out of place.

Just looking at it from the surface, it looked kind of like a little toolbox, like a 40 piece set of sockets or something? Anyway, I squared up on it and grabbed that cord flapping in the wind (water), the cord snapped off in my hand, it's a Marine battery. And a big one. I rolled it upright, it's got top posts and the wing-nuts both.

Later that evening, I told my guys Moe and Jim what I'd found. Jim said it the battery is good, that's a $100 bill. Moe told me to have it tested.

Not sure what they were thinking? I was there alone, the battery is 8 feet down, about 30 feet from the river bank, and 400 yards past the end of the road.

That battery will weigh 75 pounds or better. I guess they figured that I'd just tuck it under one arm and swim back to the truck lol

But I did find a nice Bass Pro rod/reel combo. I think the reel is trash, but the rod looks good.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.