Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#28460 - 06/23/22 04:40 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Hal, would you say that 3 pounds of meat from a 10 pounder would be about right?

Not sure? But I guess with a catfish you'd skin it before filleting the thing? We'd always take pliers and pull off the skin. Same with an eel.

Here's a link to WVMetro news. I heard about it Tuesday. A DNR officer called me here at work and asked if I had digital scales, and I told him that my WV certified scales only went to 30 pounds. South Mill Creek dam is about 45 minutes from here. But that is one big fish!

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/06/22/virgi...O_4kpZ4E-rH-6r0

#28461 - 06/27/22 11:46 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I finally had a chance to go swimming last Friday morning. We had a heavy rain storm Wednesday night, it only lasted and hour or so, but anywhere from 0.9 to 1.2 inches of rain.

I was swimming at the town park, same place those guys caught the 15 catfish the other night. The river was up 2 feet or so? Visibility was over 6 feet in the new water comming into the hole, different parts of the hole visibility dropped down to about 3 feet.

That hole has changed since last summer. If you'd look at it from above, just say it's a sheet of paper. Water comes in at the top left corner and goes out the bottom right corner. The top right and bottom left corners are pretty much slack water.

I did see a few small smallmouth bass, lots of little sunfish. A dozen of 15 suckers swam under me, I really couldn't tell if they were white or yellow suckers? Several times I'd get a glimpse of something, couldn't tell what it was.

#28462 - 06/27/22 04:42 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't know what percentage those fish dress out. Next time I get a big on I'll check it out.

#28463 - 06/30/22 01:50 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Good luck catching a big catfish. Not sure what the favorite bait would be for fishing in the Ohio River? Around here most folks would use chicken liver for catfish.

We have that big chicken processing plant here in town, and can buy them cheap. Heather that worked for me, she's salary at the plant, I sent her a message yesterday, asked her to get me 10 pounds of livers and 5 pounds of hearts. I'll bag them up and sell them for bait. With the holiday coming up, there should be lots of people out fishing.

Talking about how a fish will dress out and all, I'd say the bigger the fish, the higher percentage of meat you'd get. Not positive, but seems to me that it would be true.

Search: How to fillet a crappie. I watched a Utube video the other day, the man cleaning the fish made it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvE9hhPoTNA

Last Sunday I went out with intentions of swimming and finding some good junk. The river below town was muddy, so I went on downstream to where I wanted to go to start with. Thinking maybe I could get ahead of the muddy water, it wasn't quite as dirty, but wouldn't have been able to see 2 feet or less. I never got my gear out.

There was a young man fishing at one of the places where I like to search for junk. He had a rental canoe, said he was from Solomon, Maryland. He was fishing with some kind of grub on a leadhead jig. Some kind of big plug on his levelwind reel in the canoe. He hadn't had a nibble yet.

For some reason, I got the impression that the young man felt out of his "zone". Not because of me or anything. But you take a young man, a long way from home and alone, I think that he was intimidated by the river. That's good in a way and bad in a way. Hard to explain, but you need to respect the little rivers too.

Where I talked to the young guy, we were about 75 yards above the start of the meanest patch of water for miles. We could hear the water splashing around on the rocks down there. I remember the boy said: I'm in no hurry. We only talked for a minute or so, and the last thing I said to him was: Ok, have a safe trip. And I hope he did!

But if he lost his tackle and all, I hope I'm the one that finds it. lol. That was a $100 baitcasting reel he had laying across the canoe.

Most times our rivers are calm and easy to work in a canoe, but when they get up 2 or 3 or 4 feet, it's a different game.

I'm waiting for it to warm up, we were down in 50's last night. Think I'll go back down there and go swimming. I'll probably find some junk. Hope the water is clear.

#28464 - 06/30/22 08:28 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Do you guys ever magnet fish to catch gear others have lost?

#28465 - 07/01/22 01:21 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I have one of those fishing magnets. I remember we talked about it here on the forum, probably 4 years ago or so? I forget the specs on it, but it's a good strong magnet. I remember taking it out 2 times. Once in the river and one time at Mt. Storm lake. In the lake I'd get a glob of rusty gunk every time. Every cast in the river it or the rope would get snagged under a rock. It was a pain and I didn't find anything with it.

Well, was out swimming yesterday. I tried the same 2 places where I was the other day, when the river was muddy. The water is warmer and visibility was about 6 feet. Nothing at the first spot. Found some girl's sunglasses where I talked to the guy from MD the other day. I told the young man that I was planning to swim, and told him to fish out around this big rock in the edge of the river.

I told him that there are always fish under the rock. I checked yesterday and there were a few under it. Nothing special.

Stopped at the 3rd spot last evening, I'll give you a list of junk I found. Two folding lawn chairs, something else in a bag, feels like a smaller chair? A Zebco 33 reel and half a pole, a whistle and a Black Diamond carabiner. Two black rubber stretch bands.

The reel looks pretty good and that is an expensive carabiner. I can use the chairs next time we're out fishing.

Talking about that magnet, I was in the water for over 2 hours yesterday, it may have been 3 ? Figure where the water was less than 6 feet deep, I was covering a swath 8 or 10 feet wide. Up in the white water I was covering a spot 10 inches wide. I probably pulled up my swim shorts a dozen times yesterday. That water is swift in the first 2 places where I searched and it'll strip your shorts off in a heartbeat. Blow the top of your snorkel underwater. In swift water you've almost got to look directly into the current, if you turn your head it's strip your mask off.

#28466 - 07/03/22 02:04 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Was running short on time the other day, I'll give you the fish report.

We have yellow, white and spotted suckers in our local streams. I did see a nice bunch of yellow suckers, 15 or 20 head? That happened pretty fast, there might have been 50?

I've only been out 2 times so far, honestly I'm not seeing many bass. All but one have been less than 12 inches long. I did see one smallmouth Thursday that would go an honest 16 inches. He'd be fun to catch.

I've swam through 3 or 4 batches of fish fry, little things only 1/2 inch long. Too small for me to identify.

I'll tell you about the boat traffic, the first place I swam the other day, there were 5 or 6 canoes that went past in a bunch. They went past me pretty fast but there was an adult in the front canoe, everyone was dressed the same, all wearing their PFD's, I'd say the rest of the bunch were in their early teens.

I could see them coming so I moved out of the main channel. I was in the clear, but I don't think that any of them had noticed me until they were 50 feet away. The adult up front pointed me out and motioned for the boys to go left. We waved at each other, but I guess I would have been hard to see. I was in the water up to my shoulders, nothing but my head sticking out.

A while later there were 6 kayaks that went past me. None of them were fishing, just floating the creek.

I was talking to my Budweiser Man, Scotty the other day. He's been fishing a good bit, we were talking about these new kayaks. They've really improved in the last few years.

Years ago I had a white water kayak, closed cockpit with a skirt and all. Uncomfortable as all get out! No compartments to store anything at all.

I've been looking at fishing kayaks online. You can get them with rod holders, stretch bands front and back, little compartments to keep your valuables safe, spots for your tackle and all.

That's why a feller like me don't find much good junk anymore!

I'm not sure which ones are best? But I really think I should have one.

I told you about the Zebco 33 that I found. Took it apart the other morning, cleaned out the river grit and rinsed it off in the sink. Let it dry overnight, a couple drops of oil on the gears, seems to be working smooth now. First time for years and years that I've cleaned a reel.

Now all we need is more time to fish!

#28467 - 07/05/22 11:59 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you an update on my last 2 outtings. Sunday July 3, 2022. I went to the local town park, the place was crowded, 2 guys fishing down near the end of the hole.

When I first parked, there were about 10 kayaks sitting on the boat ramp. I'd guess a family group, folks in age groups from, maybe 5 years old on up to in their 60's or so? I walked down the ramp with my gear, about 5 adults were standing there beside their boats. I asked them who had the best kayak?

They were all different colors, different styles, different brands, different seats, etc. We were all looking them over, the one older lady just shrugged her shoulders.

I'm seriously thinging about getting a fishing kayak. Some of their boats, looked to me like it'd be VERY uncomfortable it sit in the thing.

Anyway, I got out of their way, took a swim for an hour or so? Their bunch went down the creek in a cluster. I guess the 2 little kids were with part of the "pick up crew"? Dropped them off and would go downstream and pick them up later.

While I was swimming I didn't see many smallmouth bass, all of them were 12 inces or less, except 1. And that one bass would be a strong 16 inches. Did see a good many small sunfish, 3 inches or less in the shallow water.

I did find a nice utility knife. Probably the best one that I have? Blade is still sharp and all too.

July 4th, I went to one of my hot spots. Had to walk upstream 300 yards or so. Swam around another hour or so? Did kick out 2 water snakes, and found a bunch of crawdads. I think that one would have been 5 inches long. If I'd been fishing I'd have caught the thing, I like them for bait. One that big you don't need to worry about sunfish or rockbass pecking at it. Most times.

Walking up there, I went through a little pocket of water, it's pretty much still water. Warm as could be and that little patch of water was covered up with little crabs. Small crawdads, and inch long or so? That's the area where I almost stepped on the snakes.

But talking about the kayaks, none of those folks had any fishing gear, they were just floating the creek. There was an older couple sitting in the shade on the west side of the river, don't think they moved a muscle while I was there. Just sitting there taking it all in.

But the park was busy, just a guess, there were at least 150 people up on dry land. But, on a Sunday, beautiful sunny day, it's nice to be beside the river when it's in the 90's.

I'm sure some of you guys have kayaks, tell me what I need.

Search: Top 10 best fishing kayaks.

They've really changed in the last few years.

#28468 - 07/06/22 09:55 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have a bath tub kayak. Paddles like a big wiggling side to side. Plus you get wet with each stroke as water drips off the paddle. I don't have the "funnels" on my paddle.

The negatives I find with kayaks are the following. They can be cold. You are sitting on the water. Enclosed kayaks can be damp and have insects in them. All kayaks can be difficult to enter and exit. I know someone that uses a trekking pole to help her get in and out of hers.

But they are light, tough, and not tippy.

#28469 - 07/07/22 01:13 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Kayaks have really changed or improved, designed for what you want or need.

The whitewater kayak that I had, it would turn on a Dime. One hard paddle stroke and I could turn it 90 degrees. No room for storage and very uncomfortable.

I've been looking at these folks floating and the boats that I've walked past. Some of the seats that I've looked at, some of them, the backrest wouldn't come up more than an inch or 2 above your hip bones. After more than an hour or 2 that would very uncomfortable and hard on your back. Seems to me.

A man paddled past me the other day, his kayak had one of those cloth type of seat, the backrest came up almost to his shoulders. He looked comfortable, reclined, if that thing would have had a headrest I think you could take a nap in that boat.

I'm probably going to get myself a fishing kayak before long. Not sure what I need? Really don't need one anyway. But I'm looking at the "sit on top" type with cloth or net style seats. That will keep your butt off of the water and put you up a little bit higher so you should be able to see a little bit better.

I'd like to have one that would track pretty good, in calm water with no wind you should be able to make 2 or 3 easy paddle strokes and coast 50 feet or so. But I'd like to be able to turn it quick too. There are lots of options.

Do a search: Top 5 best fishing kayaks. Some of them are high dollar. I'm not going to blow a bunch of money on something that I'll only use now and then. But, in my opinion, if you're going to buy something that you intend to keep for years and years, you're going to be farther ahead to spend another 100$ and get what you're going to be happy with.

But for a person like me, I'm usually out by myself, it just seems like it would be so easy to load up a kayak and all of my gear and be gone in an hour.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.