Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#28491 - 08/03/22 12:24 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
True, I guess. lol

Well I was told my kayak was in the southern part of the state over the weekend. As far as I know it's to be delivered tomorrow, Thursday. We'll see.

Search: Headwaters Adventure co. I think it's located in Redding, California. They have a bunch of different models of kayaks and all. Seems like some of them are more of a boat.

But there are 2 or 3 videos of the shop and folks working and describing what they make.

One thing that I've been thinking about, there are things that I'd like to have in my kayak, that some folks would never need. I'm thinking about a gun rack. If this boat is as solid and stable as I think it will be, I'll goose hunt from the thing.

Never know, it might be fine the way it is, and have a little spot to put a gun?

Otherwise, I've been thinking about using Velcro tape, so a feller could strap it down if you'd get in a patch of rough water. And still be able to get it in your hands quick.

But I'll check this thing out. Get 2 or 3 of my guys to see if we can sink it. I've got a list of stuff to try before I decide if it's ok or not.

But I think it will be fine. We'll see. I've got a few patches of new water, places that I've never floated, and I am looking forward to just check it out.

#28492 - 08/03/22 09:34 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I do not think you will sink it. You might dip it over if all three of you try hard enough.

Some sort of ATV gun holder fitted onto the kayak might be a doable solution for hunting.

#28493 - 08/04/22 02:09 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

We'll see. It'll be interested to see what happens when I swamp the thing, and see if I can still sit upright.

If I'm not mistaken this kayak is open from front to back, I mean between the top and bottom halves. And that's one thing that I don't like. Just say you'd put a can of bug dope in the back compartment, bump into a rock semi-hard, now the bug spray is up front.

The Jackson kayaks that I looked at the other day, they have like a mesh bag in the compartments as well as I could tell. Just to keep stuff from rolling around. I'm not positive about the front and back ones, but I know the middle one did.

I picked up one end of those Jackson kayaks the other day, I checked online and they are over 90 pounds empty. They are a top of the line kayak and for $2,000 that's what you'd expect. But kayaks have changed. Lighter, track better, more comfortable seats and all.

But talking about the gun rack and all, it's very possible that a feller could put your gun on the floor of the thing between your feet? I'll just need to wait and see.

Above we were talking about water drips from the paddle, a little bit of water won't hurt my guns. But if this boat tracks, somewhat good, it's only 10 feet long, it's very possible that a man could just use a regular boat paddle. And just paddle on one side, like you can a canoe. We'll see.

But thw mailman shoud be here within an hour or so? I'd certainly think that they'd be getting tired of kicking that thing out of the way by now!

#28494 - 08/06/22 04:31 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, still no kayak.

I've bought big, bulky and heavy stuff online before, and never had a problem with shipping like this before.

It is frustrating.

You see when I first searched online, the only place that had the kayak that I wanted was Amazon. The sporting goods store Dick's, they were sold out. Same with Tractor Supply.

Not positive, but I think there are 4 or 5 Tractor Supply stores within an hour or so drive. We have one here in town.

So, I called the local Tractor Supply yesterday. Told the man exactly what kayak that I wanted, he read it back to me over the phone, said the price was $350. And they had 3 in stock.

I walked into the place, talked the the same man that I did on the phone, he said that kayaks are a seasonal thing and that they were outside.

Long story short, they had 3 kayaks that were very similar, but not the one that I asked about. Lifetime brand, but I forget the model? It looked ok.

Not sure how long the kayaks had been outside? No roof over them, just setting there in the sun and weather. The one on top had a little tag on it, manual or something, faded out, plastic wrapping about half ripped off and all.

So, I asked the man, What's the best price you've give me and I want the family discount. It was priced at $350. He told me, Oh, I can't change the price. So, I asked when they'd be on sale? He said I don't know, I wish they'd tell me.

That's one thing that I hate about doing business with big stores. There were a dozen of so folks working in the store that morning, and nobody is authorised to make a decision!

If the young man would have dropped the price on the boats $25, I would have bought one. I almost did anyway.

If he'd have dropped the price to $300 each, I'd have probably bought a pair of kayaks. My brother needs one too.

But, as far as I know they are still out in the weather. The one on top looked to have a gallon of water inside, it'll be green and stinky in a week or so?

We'll see what happens.

#28495 - 08/06/22 11:50 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

It isn't a problem if a kayak gets and stays wet! They wash up nicely.

But sunshine will fade and eventually dry out the plastic. However, that will take a LONG time. A couple of decades hasn't done it yet to some boats I have.

#28496 - 08/07/22 12:52 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Forgot to tell you this. Friday evening I was here at work and the Fedex girl pulled in and parked her truck just outside the front door. I though: Oh yeah! Here we go! Her sidekick jumped out with a little box in one hand, the box wasn't as big as a pound box of saltine crackers. She came in, set the box on the counter and said: "There you go". lol

I thanked her and waved by to the driver and away they went! My excitement didn't last long!

The kayak that I looked at the other morning at Tractor Supply, was a Lifetime Tioga. They were blue. It was a 10 foot boat. The man that first showed me where they were located, he and I talked about it. I told him that all of this stuff on top is going to go to hell setting here in the sun. I mean the bungee cords on the front and back, the seat, the straps on backrest and all.

But the water that I was talking about, it wasn't on top or the outside of the kayak, it was inside, between the top and bottom halves of the kayak. Not sure if someone left the hatch open or if the rain water just seeped in? But that's something to keep in mind before you'd put your $300 camera or high dollar phone in there. It does have a cup holder too.

Honestly, the door to the inside compartment felt cheap, and that's probably the weakest thing about that kayak. It's light and looks like it'd be fun.

A lady that works at Tractor Supply, stops here now and then, pretty sure she's the manager or one of the managers. I don't know Cindy's last name and don't have a way to get in touch with her. But I'll put the word out and see what she can do for me. If I can save $50. Fifty bucks is fifty bucks!

#28498 - 08/10/22 10:13 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Not there yet?

Maybe they are paddling it over.

#28499 - 08/10/22 12:41 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

No, nothing yet.

I've got my fingers crossed, I did get a phone call from the shipping company yesterday. I was told that the kayak would be here today, between 4 and 7Pm. So, we'll see what happens.

Didn't want to bore everyone with my shipping problems, that boat should have been here 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had my daughter Kim order the thing because she has one of those Amazon Prime cards.

She paid for the kayak over a month ago. And Kim has been in contact with Amazon, just about every day for the last two weeks. She's tired of messsing with it, so am I.

Amazon told her the other day that they were going to send another kayak, with a different carrier. And for us to refuse to sign for the first kayak, in case it would be delivered. If the first kayak is delivered today, I'll sign for it. If they deliver another one tomorrow I'll sign for it too. That's their screw-up. I'll pay for the second one, but I'll expect a discount.

Talked to my brother yesterday, he'd like to have one too. And really, if you're going to be out on the river, and go anyplace. There are going to be at least 2 people involved anyway. Someone to drop you off or someone to come pick you up.

But we've had some rain, mostly thunderstorms, but the rivers are running at the normal water mark. Hopefully the kayak will be delivered this evening, I'm off work tomorrow. (or should be) With the water running good, it's very tempting to just take off and follow the current!

That would be a good test run.

#28500 - 08/11/22 12:29 AM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll be. A man called me a little bit after 5pm today, told me where he was with my kayak. I've got it.

I like the looks of it. It's more solid than the kayak that I looked at Tractor Supply the other day.

My kayak is self bailing, has 6 holes for the water to go out. 2 little hatches to get into the inside. 2-piece paddle, rod holder, 2 other stationary holders for rods. All kinds of caution and warning stickers. It does have a cup holder too.

Anyway, Moe is to meet me at the park at 10am in the morning, and haul me and the boat up the creek, not sure? It'll be 15 or 18 miles, and I'll take it for a test spin.

It's rained here for the last 3 hours, should be a fun trip. Not fishing, just taking this new toy for a ride.

Also, heard that a guy caught a 17" trout, just above town the other day.

I'll update after the trip and see what's good and bad. But I can pick it up with one hand, hard on the knuckles, but we shall see.

#28501 - 08/12/22 01:14 PM Re: Fishing Journal. 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Had the new kayak on the water yesterday, had to change my plan because of the water level.

Moe said that 15 ot 18 mile trip was too long for my first trip, wish now that I'd done it.

Last Sunday the South Fork river was muddy and flowing at the normal water mark. Yesterday, it was crystal clear and down 10 inches or a foot.

Moe followed me up the road, parked where I was going to take out and brought my truck back down. Looking at the water, I cut the float down to about 5 miles. Not sure exactly, but I was on the water about 3 hours. I stopped to take pictures and all. It was a decent ride, would have been more fun and quicker if the water was running normal.

I only had to get out of the kayak, 4 times I think. Three times for shallow water and once for a strand of barbed wire across the river.

I'll tell you it is kind of awkward getting into and out of the boat. There is nothing there to hold onto.

One thing that I will say, it's very quick and it will spin on a Dime. I doesn't track as good as I had hoped. I tried it in a patch of still water, from a dead stop, about 3 kind of easy paddle strokes and I could glide 50 feet or so.

I don't like the paddle. That was an easy run yesterday, the water did come up over the front of the kayak a couple of times, rolled in over the sides 2 or 3 times. Nothing serious.

Overall, it was a decent trip, wish the water would have been up a foot or 2 or 3.

Pretty scenery down through that area, had it all to myself. I did see 3 decent buck deer together, before I could get my camera out they were locked on me, so didn't get a pic.

I'll take it out again before long.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.