Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#28797 - 10/10/23 01:57 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
37 (F) degrees here this a.m.

#28798 - 10/11/23 01:12 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I think I had 44 or 45* yesterday morning. I've got 39* now, that's my lowest that I've had since Spring.

It sounds like Musher and his family had a nice Thanksgiving. It seems like anymore it's hard to get everyone under the same roof, not because of the size of the house, but other commitments.

My opinion, folks don't get together like we did 5 or 10 years ago.

Family reunions are about the same, they just keep getting smaller and smaller.

Above we were talking about non-resident moose hunting, in Canada. Search: Moose hunting Quebec.

I didn't read the fine print and all of the rules and all. But I would guess that a moose hunt in Canada, would cost at least $5,000. And that's the low end of the price range. Not including transportation.

It sounds like it'd be fun as all get out. But if you'd look at the high end of the prices, you could get up to $15,000 or so?

I figure that's why you don't see many U.S. license plates.

But it looks like you'd need to be a quest of a licensed outfitter. That one site that I was reading, they charged $125 per night, per person, for a cottage. I'm sure the cottage is nice, but that's expensive lodging.

If you look at it like this, any outfitter that's been in business for years and years, they are going to do their best to make sure you have fun. Same for fishing or hunting or dog sledding or just to visit and vacation. They want you to visit again, and to reccomend them to your friends.

#28799 - 10/11/23 11:26 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I believe the best bet for a good Canadian guided moose hunt is located in Newfoundland.

A Quebec resident that participates in a self guided moose hunt in a Quebec park or reserve spends about $1500 to do so. They must also be in groups of four. So about $6000 for 5 days, four of which you can hunt. This will give you a cabin and exclusive hunting rights of 25-30 sq. km. About 4 groupos will hunt the same area every year. You must participate in a lottery to obtain the chance to purchase such a hunt.

Even if you are in a ZEC (controlled hunting area), the cost to hunt is an easy 3-400. Plus you have to find an unoccupied area. This is very tough to do. There is lots of conflict. A moose lives in a large area and the moose shot one day could have been 10 miles away the day before.

There is also crown land. It's known as the "free hole" or "free all." All you need is your license and to find a spot. The week end opener it is tough to find a spot unless you fly in. But the second week it is easier.

#28800 - 10/13/23 01:06 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm surprized that it would be that much for a resident. And for a group of 4 residents. And only 4 days to hunt!

That sounds like that would be fun to fly back in the boonies, and hunt from a wall tent or cabin. I figure there are outfitters that offer that service.

One thing that I'm thinking about, if a person would plan a hunt, who knows what the weather would be ? Could get fogged in, caught in a 3 day rain and sleet storm or anything.

I'm not planning a hunt like that anytime soon, but it's fun to think about.

#28803 - 10/24/23 11:43 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

We had our first frost yesterday and we've got one again today. I've got 32* now.

For out weekend outing, I took my daughter to one of the local hunt clubs. It's 20 miles up the road to the turnoff. Kim has been on the property before, but it's been a while.

We didn't see much game, and not much sign. We did see 3 squirrels and that was it. Did find 2 saplings that deer had horned, no turkey scratching, and it's so very dry up there too.

Several years ago we cleared off a small patch of timber and started a little field, maybe 3 or 4 acres? There are 2 good deer trails coming into the field. The grass looks good. I think the club will allot so much money per year for fertilizer and all.

I'm short on time.

#28804 - 10/24/23 11:06 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Talking about our hunt club above, it's over 1,000 acres, not positive but I think it's 12 or 1,300 acres? I'll check.

I'll tell you a little about how that deal went down. A local timber man, found out the place was up for sale. He was looking at the timber and the price for the whole works was over his head. Money wise.

So, he put out the word, trying to round up enough folks that would help buy the place, timber and all. That's how the club was formed.

We had our first meeting in a garage, probably 50 or 75 folks at that meeting? That was back in the 80's. Long time ago! Those of us that were interested, we all put up like $100 each, to get the ball rolling. We advertised in the local papers a time or 2, with word of mouth and all. It took us a month or so, but we had enough money for a down payment. The club was formed, we elected officers, borrowed the rest of the money to buy the property.

Once the club bought the property, we sold the timber. I forget, the timber was worth 50,000 or so? That payed for a good chunck of our debt. We've sold timber since then too. As far as money in the bank, we're in good shape.

If I'm not mistaken, the original cost of a share of stock, was $3,500 per share. Today, the club will buy back a share of stock for $15,000. And there is a waiting list.

It's a small club, but that's a pretty good return. We own the property, it's in the club bylaws that one person can NOT own more than 3 shares (I think). The property will never be split up and sold off in lots or developed.

It took us a while to get it going, but it was well worth the effort. We all put our butt out on a limb, for a little bit. Within months, our $3,500 club shares were trading at $5,000 and up.

Anyway, coming home the other evening Kim and I stopped and checked the trail cam at Wardney's saltlick. It had been 5 or 6 weeks since the last check. We had one bear picture, 100 pounds or so?, from a month ago. Seemed like the same 4 or 5 deer, pretty much day after day. Only 1 spike buck, I'll bet there are 100 pictures of him. Didn't have any pics of small game, no fox or coyote pics.

I also have pics of a tiny fawn, that is still suckling on it's doe. Here we are almost November, and it's still suckling!

#28827 - 11/20/23 03:18 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

West Virginia's firearm deer season starts tomorrow, 11/20/23. Here in Hardy County, it's open for buck and doe. (if you have the right tags).

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it, this is the start of my vacation. It's been a year since I've had 2 days in a row off of work.

We are very dry here, and need rain or snow one. I've got 32* and it's dead calm now. Tomorrow will be a nice day.

Checked the trail cam at Wardney's salt lick the other day. I've got 3 bucks, 2 spikes and a 5-point. Looks like 3 doe without fawns, and one doe with 2 tiny fawns. I've got 20 or so pictures of all of them. Pretty much day after day. Deed honest those 2 little fawns are still suckling, my last picture of them was October 30th. They are small!

I have one pretty neat picture of the 2 spike bucks. One has horns about 3 inches long, the other one with horns about 6 inches long. Anyway, they've got their heads down, ears folded back, and I'd say that their noses are about an inch apart. That's a night time picture, but you can tell they're just about ready to mix things up!

I took my rifle to the range the other day, seems like we're good to go. While we're talking about it, I made myself 3 new sandbags the other week.

They are nothing fancy, and very cheap. I had the sand, and wrapped it up in a plastic ice bags. 2 plastic ice bags, so the sand is inside 4 layers of plastic, and then wrapped them in an old bath towel. The old towel was about shot anyway. I rolled them up and used a zip-tie on both ends.

I guess the biggest bag is maybe 6 or 8 pounds? And the smallest is maybe 4 pounds? I used a dish towel for the small one, but wrapped up like that, they will last a long time.

It's bedtime and I like to stay on schedule, I'll be back on the mountain in the morning.

You guys be careful out there and good luck.

#28828 - 11/25/23 10:57 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Hope you have a great, restful, holiday.

I also hope you get a shot at one.

#28829 - 11/26/23 02:41 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I haven't fired a shot yet. I did see a small spike, I think Wednesday. And a 6 point standing beside the road the other morning.

Not seeing many deer. Here debating where I should go. On a Sunday, I should have pretty much everything to myself.

I'll tell you about Thanksgiving Day, later. As far as being restful and all. But we did have a very nice meal.

If there isn't anyone else on the mountain, I might just walk the road, the tire tracks are packed down and quiet now. Beautiful day, I had 21* at daylight, calm with high thin clouds.

Moe and I were out yesterday, I made a little hunt up through the thick stuff to him and he killed a spike. He even let me help drag it out and skin the thing! Field dressed it was 94 pounds.

It's 10 O'clock, the deer should be rested up by now. I've got a full pack of Fig Newtons in the truck. The secret wepon.

#28830 - 11/27/23 12:25 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I was out yesterday, things were about like I figured. I was on a dead-end road on private land, behind a locked gate. I had the place to myself.

I just walked the road, stop every little bit and watch for a while. A little before dark I found a good spot and figured I'd just watch the road. Never know when you'll see a coyote or bobcat.

A little after sundown a small buck walked up into the road, I could see his horns with my naked eye. It was out about 40 yards, I watched him work a scrape. It didn't paw the ground, but it rubbed it's face on a twig, for just 5 seconds maybe? Walked around in the road for a little bit and then on up the mountain he went. I thought maybe there would be another buck, 15 or 20 minutes behind. I watched till my blaze orange turned gray, still light enough to see to walk, and that was it.

I did see 2 squirrels. And just the one deer. I did see a red headed woodpecker and a screach owl in the headlights.

I'll tell you about Thursday and Brandon's buck, as soon as I get a chance.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.