Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28584 - 12/24/22 01:51 PM A Merry Christmas
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Best wish's for a Merry Christmas to all.

Hope Musher survived the little weather system that moseyed through. It brutal even here. Wished for a bit of "Global Warming" a couple times when I was out yesterday

#28585 - 12/24/22 04:16 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Merry Christmas!

All is good here.

The past 2 days have been snow blowing days. Just in from another 4 hours worth. There is a lot of water under the snow. It snowed, rained and then snowed.

We have power but many don't. Daughter #2 and family are at the in-laws for the "reveillon". French Quebecois celebrate Xmas on the 24th at midnight. They have not had power since yesterday afternoon and they expect to have it at 11 p.m. tonight. Just in time!

The kids and grandkids are traveling here tomorrow - if the roads shape up. The furthest will have a 2 hour drive. We'll be 8 kids and 8 adults celebrating for a few days. With 4 dogs in the house!

My dog trails are frigged pretty good but if that is all that is wrong, then all is pretty good!

Might have to consider a little roof shoveling in the next few days. Wet snow is heavy stuff.

Four snowmobiles are ready to go. My wife has been cooking up a storm. It should be a good time.

Edited by musher (12/24/22 04:17 PM)

#28586 - 12/25/22 01:00 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Merry Christmas everyone.

The weather changed here the other day, and the temperature sure did drop fast. Here in town I had 5*, folks out of town were below zero.

I was out hunting the other day, I parked the truck and stepped out to put the dog's GPS collar on her and it didn't take me long to figure that I'd better put on my rain gear. We were out in the brush for maybe 5 hours, I couldn't have taken it without the windbreaker. I think the wind was gusting to 30mph.

Brian, sounds like you'll have a housefull. Remind them they are hauling Precious Cargo.

Be careful on the roads.

#28587 - 12/26/22 12:07 AM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
musher Offline

Everyone made it here safe and sound. The roads were iffy but there was zero traffic. Now the only danger is tripping over a toy or eating too much.

We spent a couple of hours opening our woodlot road. Lots of trees broken and bent over with the wet snow. Saw a fresh lynx track. Also have a fisher and a fox visiting some beaver carcasses. I might set a few traps this week once the gang is gone.

Snow mobiles were all in use this afternoon.. We might get some dog sledding in tomorrow at my sons' farm. He tapped his trails yesterday so it could be pretty good.

#28588 - 12/26/22 03:40 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
redsnow Online   content

Good deal. Hopefully the roads will clear off before their trip back home!

Sounds like a good time with the snow machines and dogs. Our snow/ice is exactly the opposite of what you have. It's like an Oreo cookie, ice on the top and bottom with a little bit of snow in the middle. It's all ice here in the valley, in the mountains, I'm sure I make as much noise as a cow. It cut the dogs feet some the other day.

Talking about trapping, I was planning on setting a short line too, but I just can't figure out why nothing has messed with the deer carcasses that I've put out. I had 13* this morning, and that's a 2.5 or 3 hour check. Quarter tank of gas each check. I'm not sure yet. Tough call.

#28589 - 12/26/22 06:07 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Ain't been much of a Christmas here. Coldest temperatures in decades. Had a 24 hour period where the temperatures hovered between -3 and 1. Ain't been above freezing for four days. Kids have got the Covid so everybody is staying away.

#28590 - 12/26/22 06:30 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
musher Offline

The kids having covid really sucks.

Have lynx tracks right beside the house today. No dogs on that side. It must be the same lynx chasing the hares that live in the yard.

-18 C. today. We did not dog sled but we did snowgo and slide. Wee ones are on the nap time now and the older ones have games.

#28591 - 12/27/22 12:41 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
redsnow Online   content

I agree, the kids being sick that really sucks. That's a Christmas lost, memories that didn't happen. And it makes it even worse, not being able to spend time with the grandkids and all.

I've got 19* now.

#28592 - 12/28/22 12:15 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
musher Offline

We had a large day of dog sledding and snowmobiling at my sons' farm yesterday. I brought 8 dogs and 2 sleds (the truck was full). That gave us 2 teams of four. All the kids got a ride except for the eldest (10) that has been using the Snow Scoot a lot. The trails were wind blown and not tapped very well. Actually broke a wire gang line but I had a spare.

People head home today.The dish washer and washer/dryer are due for a break!

Daughter #2's in-laws got their electricity back on the 27th.

#28593 - 12/28/22 01:57 PM Re: A Merry Christmas [Re: Ric]
redsnow Online   content

Good deal. It sounds like you and the family had a Christmas to remember! I hope you got some of the action on video, because it'll never happen exactly the same.

I'll wish your family and everyone else's a safe trip back home.

I'll try to explain how our family spends Christmas. During recent years, we have a dinner at the "carpet shop", on Christmas Eve, it's a pretty good set up.

They have 8 or 10 folding tables and chairs. With 3 or 4 guys helping, it only takes 15 minutes to get everything lined up and all. I'm fortunate that I have some very good cooks in the family. I think we had 2 tables full of "real" food and another table covered with desserts.

Just our family and friends, nobody counted, but there were 20 some of us there. Several folks didn't show because of the roads.

Christmas night we always gang up over at Mom's house. And basically do it all over again. We had a house full, I think about 18 or so, counting the kids. We really don't have any young kids in the family now. Sister Barb's grandaughter recently got married, so, you never know?

But Kimberly and I checked out Mom's house, everything is still the same as it was, and I expect it to stay that way.

We were silly for not taking pictures, it'll never happen exactly the same. But we had a good time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.