Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#28776 - 08/20/23 01:08 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I've been thinking. I really don't want to carry a saw up to the spring, but I might.

Talked to one of my best friends last evening, Steve, and I asked if he'd help me clear the road. Honestly, I asked him 6 or 8 months ago, he's always busy or I don't have time.

Steve is a good worker and he's good with a saw too.

There is no road up to the spring, there is an old skidder path that goes part of the way. It's too steep, back when the path was open, you couldn't get a 4WD 4-wheeler up that thing. I even tried it once, with all 4 wheels locked together. The leaves settle in the first switchback, and that's as far as it'd go.

I was on the mountain after the second ice storm, ice was still in the timber and the downed timber and brush too. I was going north on the side of the mountain, and I did find myself boxed in, on 3 sides. I had to pull back, 50 or 75 yards and circle down around the mess. After I dropped down that far, I could see the road.

That's one thing about that mountain, when you gain altitude, it's not good to lose it. You're going to work for it again!

My daughter and I are off work today, the river is too low to use our kayaks. We haven't had a drop of rain in the last 9 days!

So, we're going to the mountain, one of the neighbors gave me permission to cross his property. I'll take Kim up and show her around, she's never been to the top.

According to my facebook friends, the rattlesnakes are moving pretty good now. Never know, we'll keep an eye out for those things too.

#28779 - 08/27/23 02:04 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, last Sunday my daughter and I went to the mountain. First time that I've ever drove a vehicle up there, first time that Kim had ever been on that part of the mountain. There are a few things up there, that she'd heard about and I just wanted her to see them in person.

We went for a little walk, did find a pile of bear crap and jumped a deer, otherwise that was it.

I'll tell you with the leaves on the timber, I know it was hard for her to get her bearings. She asked me where she killed her first deer (several years ago), it was just across the ridge in front of us.

She needs better boots, the ones she has now are more like street shoes. I told her 2 or 3 months ago, if she's gonna hang out with me, she needs better tread.

Anyway, we came back off, went around and checked the first 2 cameras. I put the cameras back up on Auguest 8th. We had a bear on Auguest 9th, at the "lured rock" camera. Also had a small 8-point buck on the camera, several coon pictures.

Tell you what I lured the rocks with this last time, it was pork drippings. Can't say that it was lard, but almost, it was getting pretty strong.

The bear was over 200 pounds, but it has mange. It had a couple bald spots on it's face, one ear looked bald. I had 3 pictures of it, just looking across the side of the animal, you could see it's hide from front to back. It's hair is really thin.

The batteries in the 2nd camera were dead, didn't get a single picture there. I guess it's like a flashlight with dead batteries, flip it on and have a decent beam for a second and then out. Got that fixed, should have pictures there on the next check.

A local man has been giving me the apples he rakes up in his yard. He lives here in town, and just doesn't want the bees and hornets buzzing around the house. Not sure? But we've been doing this for 5 years or so? I'll take them. Little tiny apples, the size of a marble, some of them. Other than running them through a cider mill, they're worthless.

I need to get up there one day and trim his trees. They have a good flavor.

Anyway, it was getting hot and the dog had already drank most of the water in our ice chest. So, Kim and I did a little target shooting. My .22 revolver, my trap gun. I had a cardboard box in the truck and made her a targer. She didn't have a very good rest, but considering that she hadn't shot the gun for years and years, she did fair.

I took a box of ratshot. I had the target out 20 couple feet. I'll tell you after the 3'rd round of rat-shot, Kim had the box peppered. But we need more practice.

Above I was telling you about my new dog being gun shy. Kim said the dog looked terrified, that's one thing that I can't figure out. It's not because of anything that I've done. I don't know?

#28789 - 10/05/23 11:34 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I went up on the mountain the other day and finally checked the Spring camera, I hadn't been up there since December.

The deer and bear have had about 10 months to pick out the best route. There is a faint trail, from the road up, that's the way I went.

Above I mentioned my "new" grubbin hoe, I took it to the spring. I took 3 turns scratching out the water holes. One puddle is about the size of a washtub, the other one is about 8 feet x 2 feet, maybe 6 inched deep?

I checked the camera's SD card once I got home. I was getting 3 or 4 deer on the camera, about every other day, no bucks or bear. I think I got the first bear picture about the first of April. It's a nice bear, well over 200 pounds, it's chunky and looks to be mange free. I've got a dozen or so pictures of it, on different days. Not long after, it knocked my camera out of kilter, and had it pointed up in the tree tops.

I put the camera back in place, I've got the grubbin hoe wired to the north side of an elm tree, just past the spring. The hoe has one of those yellow plastic/fiberglass handles, figured that it won't catch as much sun. It's just hanging there free and clear of the tree, maybe that will help keep squirrels from eating the handle.

But I'll go back up in 2 or 3 weeks to check the camera, and take another turn on the hoe.

I checked the Thunder Rock camera, I have what I'd guess is the same bear. Also have pictures of a sow bear and 3 small cubs. One decent buck, and a spike. Very few deer pics total.

I did have one picture of a turkey, and it seems like we've got a pretty good crop of dogwood berries and gum berries both. I haven't found any grapes yet.

#28790 - 10/06/23 09:39 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have a bear at one of my deer feeders.It's eating several pounds of corn a night. I also have raccoons. I am anxious for this crazy warm weather to stop. We had 28 C. yesterday ...

#28791 - 10/06/23 01:08 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree, wild animals can be "trained". Free food is there for the taking, most likely the bear will stay in the area until it's killed or it's time to hole up.

Our archery deer and bear season is in now. It's been warm here too and very dry.

Headline in the other week's local newspaper: Student Harvests 403 pound bear. I think the little girl is 13 years old, took her bear during the "Youth Hunt". So that's nice to see. And it'll probably take her a while to best 400 pounds again.

I hate to say this, but we've had a fatal hunting accident here in West Virginia this season. I think the boy was 10 years old, out hunting with his granddad. I don't know the details, but the young man is dead.

So, very sad! For anyone that loves to hunt, that hurts! Hunting is a very safe sport, but when you chamber a live round, you can't be too careful. That goes for me, you and everyone else.

#28792 - 10/06/23 09:38 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Bear and moose season starts tomorrow. I didn't buy a license for either. If the bear is still around by the 18th, I'll trap it when the trapping season opens.

In my area, this is the time of the year when the woods are as full as they get. Every lake, every fork in the road has a moose hunting group.

The moose population is W-A-Y down. I haven't seen a track on my woodlots in months. People blame ticks.

It is Thanksgiving this weekend. All my kids and grandkids are filling the house. There will be 10 adults and 10 grandkids, aged from a couple of months to 12 years, plus 4 dogs to keep me busy. Moose aren't on the menu. But I do expect to squeeze in some duck/goose hunting. A grouse hunt could occur also if it doesn't rain too much. They announce 100ml. over the 3 day weekend.

#28793 - 10/07/23 11:11 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Seven of the grandkids are less than 5 years old.

#28794 - 10/07/23 07:04 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Geez!! I'd for sure turn off my hearing aids! Kids that age don't know the difference between their outside voice and their inside voice! But hey, have a ball. They grow fast. My youngest grandcub just started college. grin

#28795 - 10/08/23 12:56 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Thinking about the kids and all. Here at work yesterday, a friend stopped by with his granddaughter, he watches her a couple days per week. They've been working with her and finally got her potty trained, she's 3 almost 4 years old.

The little girl is still sucking on her binky, that'll be the next thing to go. But she waved and said: Bye bye when they walked out.

Talking about the temperature, I had 47* at daylight. That's huntable. Thinking about having a moose down, when it's hot, that would put you in a bind. That would be a lot of meat to handle and a short time to get it done.

Just curious, are most of moose hunters local residents? Or do you see a lot of US license plates?

I've never checked the rules and price for a moose tag in Canada, I'm sure it'd be big money. Some places, you've got to have a guide and all, I'm not sure how that works?

I know a few people that have been out hunting, I've talked to several of my buds, we pretty much all agree, it's just been too hot.

Squirrel season is in now, planning on taking my buddy Bill out one day this week. We talked about it yesterday. As warm as it's been here, if you'd shoot a squirrel and wait 5 minutes before you'd go pick it up, it'd be covered with ants and flies. I don't like that at all.

#28796 - 10/08/23 06:27 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

All the hunters are local. I haven't seen an out of province plate on a hunters truck in years. I do see some during fishing season. I think it is because the success rate moose hunting is in the 20-30% range. Two or three tags required per moose.

Except for the 2 newborns, the rest of the kids are potty trained. A couple still wear diapers at night (2 year old girl and 3 year old boy).

It's still raining but we just came in from a campfire and playing in the yard for an hour or so. Naps and video games are the thing right now.

Every meal is a full dish washer and the washer/dryer are getting a lot of use. 18 people in a house will do that.

The turkey supper is tonight and I'm really looking forward to it.

The temp. feels like it's cooling off. I certainly hope so.

Edited by musher (10/10/23 05:56 PM)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.