Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#28869 - 02/03/24 05:49 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here where I live, everything is private land, There are very few places where you can get an honest air mile from a road or trail. We can go to the National Forest land, and then you can get out in the boonies.

We have a local hunt club that is over 13,000 acres. I think it's one of the biggest in the state, but there are roads. I'm a member, when I go there, I go with a full tank of gas.

I won't say that our deer and bear get nervous, but they do get spooky. Seems like as a rule, about the 2nd week of buck season (early December) deer and bear are in the thickest and meanest places you can find. Once it gets that time of year, just about all of my trail camera pictures are nighttime.

You see, for years and years, West Virginia only had a bear season in 10 of our 55 counties. What the state refers to as the "Mountain Counties". Today, juat about all 55 counties have a bear season.

The way it worked in this area, in my early years of hunting. Buck season started the week of Thanksgiving, for 2 weeks. The limit was one buck. We couldn't hunt on Sunday, until recently. Then bear season started Monday, after deer season, until December 31. January 1st, all big game seasons were closed, until fall.

I remember when the DNR started our doe season, long time ago.

Our bear population spiked. The DNR added both weeks of buck season, then they added an early September bear season, then they added "youth seasons" and a few years ago started the Mountain Heritage Hunt.

One of the reasons for the original December bear season, The DNR was trying to protect the bred female bear. The DNR's plan worked, we had a pile of bear. Too many bear.

I've mentioned it above or in another thread? From one season to the next, the DNR took away 2 weeks of bear & deer season combined. There are more hunters in the mountains of WV during the first week of buck season, than any other time of the year.

The week of Thanksgiving, kids and family are home, it's been like that for years. And the game is on the run.

Edited by redsnow (02/03/24 06:06 PM)
Edit Reason: added.

#29045 - 07/02/24 12:01 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I checked 2 of the mountain cameras last week. I cut the road open and checked them about 6 weeks before. I think I mentioned it in one of the other threads, I did have a sow bear and one cub, on the #2 camera. It was this year's cub.

Long story short, I went to a friend's kind of: Yard sale/moving sale a while back. The girl had been selling stuff online for 2 months. I took the car over to pay for and get my stuff, while I was there I ended up buying an oak roll-top desk. It's not really, really old, but it's nice. Very pretty piece of furniture and I've never had a desk.

So, I asked one of my guys if he'd ride along with me in the truck, to help load the thing. For a small desk, that thing is heavy, even without the drawers! We got it loaded, with the help of another guy too.

While we were there, snooping around, still shopping. I wasn't privy to the entire conversation, I just heard my buddy say: I'll buy it for that. Steve bought an upright freezer, and it was crammed full.

Being the good friend that I am to both of them, I offered to haul off the contents.

It took me over an hour to cut off the plastic, wrappers and foil off of that stuff. I dumped it behind my "Lured rock" camera.

That's another story, but there was everything from small game, pork and beef, icecream, and I'll bet there was 10 pounds of country scrapple that I tossed over the bank.

I didn't check the camera that day, because of all of the gunk on my hands. The next time that I did check it, I had a nice bear, I guessed it at 175. It's over 150 but don't think he'll go 200. A nice bobcat, a fox pup, 2 or 3 times. Also have a picture of a momma coon and 6 or 8 little ones. That's a night time picture, but there are eyes scattered across the road.

Last Wendsday, I went up to check the cams, there is a big dead elm tree across the road about 200 yards before the 2n'd camera. The elm took down a maple tree, it's a mess. I walked up and checked the camera, then backed out around the side of for another 200 yards to find a spot where I could turn.

I do have 3 buck deer, one maybe 15 inches wide? Also have a picture of a hen turkey, with 6 or 7 chicks. They are small, body size, I'd guess about the size of an adult quail. They really blend in with the sand and rocks on the mountain.

Think I'll take one of my guys along the next trip to help cut that elm tree. North side of the ridge and it's steep. Not sure?, but it's close to 30 inches on the high side of the road. Might take a snatch-block or 2? The little truck weighs about 4,000 pounds, I'll have it on a down hill haul.

#29046 - 07/02/24 10:11 AM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Firewood?

That is good camera action.

#29047 - 07/05/24 12:43 PM Re: Quest for Ole Bigfoot, 2022. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Nobody cuts firewood on that property, it'll lay there and rot. Keep in mind, the "road" is nothing but a skidder path. It hasn't been worked for years, it's pretty rough. It's not just that one tree across the road, it's the brush on the road bank and the rocks in the road.

I'll tell you my plan. I've talked to 2 of my guys, they are both pretty good with a saw. The one man is young and strong as a bull. We'll try to pick a morning when it's not so hot, and cut that trash out of the road. Roll the rocks over the bank, and start cutting the autumn olives and spray the stumps.

Last week we had 2 mornings with the temps in the 50's. I'd rather not be up there running a saw when it's 80 plus degrees.

I've been hearing rumors of some nice bucks, here and there. Bear are moving pretty good now too. We don't have as many bear as we did a few years ago, but the couple that I've got on camera so far look good and mange free.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.