Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28631 - 02/07/23 12:38 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I mentioned Wardney, just for an example. Wardney stopped by yesterday and we had a good talk. We were talking about hunting, not sledding. But, I wouldn't trust his footing to stand on a sled.

Depending on how an outfitter is set up, I'm sure some offer something for everyone in the family. From little kids right on up to the oldest member of the family. That might just be a big picture window, beside the fireplace where you can watch the kids playing on tubes and sleds. They probably have a couple of retired sled dogs out there running around playing with the kids and all.

I can think of lots of neat things that an outfitter could offer. Maybe this place does now? I'll check their website later today.

#28632 - 02/08/23 02:34 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Search: Wintergreen Dogsled. Their website will pop up.

I looked at it yesterday, the do have some very nice pictures. Cute pictures with their dogs and pups and kids. Everyone loves a puppy!

Just looking at their pictures, I got the feeling that they are geared more toward the "younger crowd". Just thinking about it, most of the folks that I deal with day after day, they are younger than me.

Honestly, for a young man like Frank, first time musher and all, a full day of dog sledding would be pretty tough. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But looking at their pictures, looks like they have a nice lodge. Didn't see the fireplace. One thing that did stand out to me, was the way the cooks were dressed. A lot of strange looking food. I couldn't afford to eat at that place!

I can just imagine two guys like Wardney and I rolling into a place like that. Wardney would ask me what I wanted for supper, we'd talk for a little bit. The waitress would come around, Wardney would tell her to get him a steak, baked potato, green beans and a cold beer. And I'd say, I'll have the same!

To travel that far, and spend that much money, we're not going to be eating something that we can't even pronounce. Unless it looks good.

Ely, MN, seems like a nice place, and seems that it would be a nice spot for a vacation. We live in a beautiful part of the world, and there is always something fun and exciting to do year round.

#28633 - 02/08/23 04:03 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yea, we weren't at the lodge. We stayed at a B&B in Ely then drove 20 mins. to the lodge to start our day. Becky plugged in a slow cooker before we left the B&B and we came back to hot beef stew! Ely reminds me of the town they used in the movie 'Grumpy old men'. Snow covered, huge piles of plowed snow, and really friendly folks. "Young man like Frank"?? Yea, I think I could have handled a full day of mushin'. Just had my physical yesterday. My Doc keeps lookin' for my expiration date. Hasn't found it yet, but he said, "I'm looking at a 75 year old man.....going on 55." Hey, that's good enough for me. I guess I'll always be looking for another adventure. Like maybe running naked through a car wash!! grin

#28634 - 02/08/23 09:27 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
"Like maybe running naked through a car wash!! grin"

If you get waxed, we don't want to hear about it. sick

#28635 - 02/10/23 02:17 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I detect "radio silence". So, I'm not sure how we should take it?

At minus 30*, naked and wet. I hope the carwash has hot water.

Thinking about your B&B, I've never stayed at one. Years ago when I was working away from home, I lived out of motels. Just thinking about it now, I'd get off work and lock myself into a little room. Maybe 12 x 20? I had a bathroom and TV, a bed or 2, maybe a chair and lamp. That's about it.

I guess it would be a lot nicer if you could get up and move around. Look out of more than one window. Working 4-10's, this time of year it's dark when you go to work and dark when you get off.

I did read about this lodge where Frank and his family went, I think they offer cabins. I'm sure they are expensive. Most of these lodges cater to the high dollar folks, stuff that the average working family can't afford. Or, you'll need to save up to go. That's sad in a way, but I understand that they're trying to make a living too.

One thing that I did notice in their pictures, they have 2-person sleds, where 2 people can stand up during their adventure. I've never taken a ride in a dog sled, but I can imagine, for a passenger riding in the basket, they are going to feel every little bump. And jiggle you to pieces.

It would be very similar to riding on a hay wagon, if you're standing up, you don't notice all of the little bumps and all. Sitting an top of 6 or 7 hay bales, you don't notice it. But riding an empty wagon, back to the field, sitting on your butt with your legs hanging over the side, you'll feel every bump, every time that the hitch catches, every pothole in the lane. If you're standing up, your legs take all of that, and your really don't notice it.

All of that brings back memories from years and years ago. Good times!

#28638 - 02/15/23 04:25 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Talked to Becky the other day. She said the two people platform on their sled was just wide enough for the two people. But they could not just reach forward for the grab bar. They had to cross arms for stability. Fortunately, she is so much shorter than John that the arms crossed was manageable. And I don't know where I got this notion from, but all my life I pictured mushing involved a long bull whip. "YEAH", wht-chee (whip sound). Maybe from the movies? Comic books? Or maybe they really needed them due to picking up stray dogs and having to crack them on the ass to make them pull? (no methodical breeding like today) Don't know, but still a great picture in my head!

#28639 - 02/15/23 07:25 PM Re: Mushin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Generally speaking, the carrot always works better than the stick. In real life, a sled dog would cower and roll on its back if whipped. However, I do see a whip being used to prevent/break up fights between dogs.

But good genetics work best of all!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.