Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28640 - 02/20/23 06:02 PM Snawwwwsages
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Found some pork on sale so decided to put it to good use. Gathered many volunteers from my family and created 40lbs of fresh Hungarian style sausage. We named the day, 'ground hog day'! A fun time was had by all, and of course our efforts turned out great!

#28641 - 02/21/23 11:41 AM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Good times! Wifey and I made goose sausages last week. They are pretty good.

#28642 - 02/22/23 01:25 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I agree, looks like a great experience. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the young man in the gray shirt, I'd guess he's in his teens? Spending time with your family is something that you can't put a price on.

Forty pounds of sausage, split between 10 people, it won't be long before you get to do it again!

I think that is a vaccum sealer, I've been thinking about getting one. Seems like I lose about half of the stuff I put in my freezer. It sets there and gets crammed in the back and covered up, and then it's dog food.

Not positive, but that also looks like a real sponge in the bottom picture.

#28643 - 02/22/23 07:46 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Good eye Tim! That sponge was my dads. Used it for washing his car. I think it used to be bigger. And yup, young Koty will be 18 this coming May. Already has enough credits so he doesn't have to attend school. But he'll walk across the stage with his fellow graduating students this coming spring. He's working a full time and a part time job. Bought his first car before he had his drivers license. Needed a car to get to work, as he couldn't wait around for the school bus. A real go getter. NASA car fan. Back when he was 8 or 9, he could already name all the drivers, their car numbers, points earned, and their standings in the ranks. And yes, that vacuum sealer does a great job. Sometimes buying the party or family size meat products saves money. I break them up into meal size servings and shrink wrap them. It's all about that evil dollar!! smile

#28644 - 02/23/23 11:57 AM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

We have a small vacuum sealer. It does a "meh" job. We don't use it anymore. I was recently thinking of getting a good one. They are $500. They also take a lot of room. Where do you put the dang thing.

#28645 - 02/24/23 01:35 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

That's great news to hear about young Koty's work and money habits. That will serve him well.

I know several folks that have food sealers. Moe and Wardney each have one, I think both of them are on their 2nd or 3rd machine. They don't have top of the line food sealers, but it seems like when they work, they work perfect. Now and then they'll need to start with a new bag, and try it again.

I searched online yesterday, found one food sealer for about $300. It was listed from "Uline", forget the brand name of the sealer. I didn't read the specs and all.

Uline is a company that deals with bulk items, stuff designed for the food industry, restaurants and all. They've got a lot of neat stuff.

Just thinking about it, Ziploc bags are expensive, buy a little box for $5 or so.

My sister does most of my shopping, she'll buy big packs of meat, whatever is on sale. What am I to do with 4 pounds of pork chops, or a 4# pack of hamburger?

The more I think about it, I could buy one of these good food sealers, between my sister and daughter and I, we'd save more than $300 or $400 within a year. Maybe 6 months? Just from meat that didn't freezer burn. And go bad.

At today's prices, a $100 doesn't go very far, not when you're buying meat.

#28646 - 02/24/23 03:17 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Before I got the vacuum sealer, I used to use them Ziploc baggies, mostly with fish fillets. But they also worked well with chops and brat sized sausages. Slowly lower the filled bag into a bucket of water to force the air out, then seal it quickly before the zipper gets dunked. Also used to fill the baggie with water and freeze them fish solid in ice. Probably still cheaper than the vacuum method, but a lot more messing around.

#28647 - 02/25/23 04:43 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Friends of mine butchered a hog last weekend, just one big pig. They skinned it, the hide, well most of it is on the back of my truck. I've been putting it out for the woodpeckers. The dog has been nibbling on it too.

Anyway, they're making scrapple and ponhoss today. Perfect conditions, blowing snow off and on, high 30's or so. Just using one iron kettle.

I think the hog weighed around 400#, the hide will weigh 50 or 75#. Lot of fat on it.

Another guy just stopped by, he's on the way up to help, tend the fire and all.

Jack, the man that gave me the pigskin, he's got 4 or 5 grandkids, young, but old enough to remember. So this will be a good experience for them, a lot of kids never get the chance to see how stuff like this works.

I'd ride up and join the fun this evening, but I'll stuck here working. They are to bring me a slice of ponhoss.

Talking about these food sealers, a few years ago my buddy Moe's freezer died. As well as I remember, it was a $50 part and they lost everything. Not sure, but I think the freezer was under warranty, so they paid for the food lost. One way or another?

I remember that about all of the packages were dated, some of them were 2 or 3, maybe 4 years old. I remember he had 2 or 3 rabbits and some squirells vacuum sealed.

We took all of that trash up on the mountain, cut the plastic off and dumped it near my "lured rock" camera. But if you didn't know better, you'd think the rabbits and other meat were just skinned and put away yesterday.

Years ago we had a discussion here on the forum, about alarms for home freezers, a man really should have one.

#28648 - 02/25/23 08:11 PM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

What's the difference between scrapple and ponhoss? Google didn't help me much.

I have never tasted either and know no one that has.

Thanks.

#28649 - 02/26/23 12:40 AM Re: Snawwwwsages [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Well, my buddy brought me a pan of ponhoss (I'm probably spelling that wrong?) It was still warm, probably still is?

Looks to be a quart size foil pan, anyway it's 2.23 pounds, pan and all.

I'm sure we have folks here on the forum that know more about this stuff than I do, share your thoughts.

Search: Scrapple recipe.

You can buy it in cans.

It's been years and years, but doing scrapple, as well as I remember you use the animal's heart, part of it's liver and maybe even it's kidneys? IT's very very rich!

Either way, you'll boil it's ribs, backbone, all of it's bones and scrape every last little speck of meat off. Take all of the bones out of the kettle and add the cornmeal.

This little pan full that I got today, once it cools and setsup, I'll be able to slice it off. Then you'd just fry it like any other piece of meat. I'll probably flour it, drop it in a skillet oiled up with bacon grease and brown it.

But you can fix it with about anything that you like, pancakes, eggs, sausage, fried taters, maple syrup, it's good stuff!

Next time that Jack stops by, I'll ask if I'm missing any ingrediends. Salt and pepper. That's about all that I can think of, maybe missing from the list?

As well as I can tell from Frank's pictures, they used natural pork casings. I've watched that process, you'd take a dull knife and scrape the intestines across a smooth board, and clean them out good. Wash them around in warm water and try it again a time or 2.

I was always told that there should be enough "casings" in the animal to do a do the whole thing. I'd say that's right.

I'll tell you, our grandparents didn't waste much of a pig.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.