Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28665 - 03/23/23 11:35 AM Autumn Olive spraying.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
We've talked about autumn olive bushes before, I may have mentioned this in another thread too?

Anyway, my brother went to some kind of farm meeting a while back, and they had a discussion about killing the invasive bushes. They said the best time to spray the plant, is when it's coming in bloom and/or in bloom.

Our local autumn olives are just starting to get leaves, so within the next 2, 3 or 4 weeks, they'll be starting to bloom. We have some on the farm and some on the King's place. Before they do totally get out of hand, we're going to try to kill them all.

Anyway, just a reminder, and brush killer is too expensive to waste.

#28666 - 03/24/23 01:55 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
smile smile smile smile
Not so terribly many years ago, Wildlife Agencies were handing out Autumn Olive to plant for wildlife habitat.

#28667 - 03/24/23 04:58 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

When are you going to start in on the bradford pears? smile

#28668 - 03/25/23 02:13 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

One bad thing about this deal, I helped plant the stuff. Carry a jug of water around, pack it in just so, to get it going.

Now, 50 years later, I'm going to do my best to kill all of that trash.

One thing my brother reminded me about, they said it's best to lightly spray the bush, with brush killer, and let it work it's way into the roots. I think if you spray it heavy, it'll trop it's leaves, and in a few weeks come right back out with new leaves.

There are autumn olives on the mountain too. Just in one spot. But I'm going to do all of them with a hand pump sprayer. I'll try to find a good 3 or 4 day dry spell, and see what happens. More than likely, I'll need to spray them again? Hope not.

I was reading about bradford pears, I'm not familiar with that plant. We don't have much of a problem with that tree, not in this area. Now and then I'll find a bush with thorns, small bushes. The only other tree we have with thorns would be Honey locust. They are mean, those thorns will bust a tractor tire. I think we've pretty much got them killed off, on our property.

Right here in this area, probably 3 of the biggest plant/tree pests that we have would cedar trees, multiflora rose, with locust brush being a pain too.

Seems like if you scratch down to bare dirt, some kind of unwanted plant or tree will sprout, within a year or 2. Give them a 5 year head start, and they are out of control.

#28678 - 04/07/23 12:01 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm going to keep my notes here on the forum, so I can keep track of what's going on and all.

4/4/23, I mixed up a batch of brush killer, just in a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer. The man told me to mix it 75:1. So, I mixed it, pretty much 2oz/gallon. It will really foam up and puts off some nasty fumes.

Just to try out the sprayer and adjust the tip, I pumped it up and sprayed here at the house a little bit. I've cut a few elm trees out back, and the sprouts keep coming up from the roots, and the stumps. I sprayed them on the 4th, the leaves were wilty and looked dead within 24 hours. Kind of surprised me. After 48 hours they still look dead.

Yesterday, 4/5/23, I took the sprayer to the farm. Started on the autumn olives, honestly, they are not as bad as I thought. A lot of the olive plants that I sprayed were less than 6 or 7 feet tall. Lots of them were just a single stem. I'll tell you, once you get an eye for those leaves, you can pick them out from 50 yards.

Anyway, it started out a beautiful morning, up in the 50's and calm. It was better than 60* when I started spraying. Worked my way down around the side of the ridge, up and down the hollow, I spritzed just about all of them. I missed a couple bushes, ones that were hard to get too. Also zapped some of the rose bushes and some other kind of dark green bush. Not sure what the heck they are?, but they are worthless.

Our pastures are just starting to green up, the farm looks good. We have the farm leased to a man, he's got quite a few newborn calves, and a few cows yet to go.

But in 2 or 3 weeks, we'll be able to see what's going on with the brush killer. I used most of that 2 gallons, have maybe a pint left? Just lightly misting the plants, it goes a long way.

#28679 - 04/10/23 11:39 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

April 9, 2023. Sprayed on the King's property, I used 2 gallons. From ditch, past barn, out to main road.

I missed a clump of olives below Doug's.

I guess all together I was out walking around for better than 2 hours, spraying. I sprayed a bunch of rose bushes, and a couple of small cedar trees. Using this spray is new to me, so, I'll see what happens in 2 or 3 weeks.

Really nice day yesterday, I had 27* at daylight, up to about 60* when I started spraying. I was reading, they say 60* and up is best. Clear sunny day and the sky is still clear. So the brush killer should be doing it's thing.

#28680 - 04/16/23 01:47 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll give you an update on the spraying in a minute, first I want to tell you this.

Since I started spraying, I've had 2 farmers tell me: "Don't get that stuff on you". My friends will stop by and ask what I've been doing, and that's when we'll talk about autumn olives and all.

I'll tell you, using a hand pump sprayer, spraying bushes that are 10 feet tall or so? Keeping the spray off of yourself is easier said than done. I thought about this the other day, if you can smell something, those little particles are in your nose and in your lungs. They are in your eyes and on any exposed skin.

I forget what day it was, but I first thought that I was getting pinkeye. I've got some pinkeye medicine, so I treated myself 2 or 3 times? My eyes were puffy, red as a beet. And that one day, it seemed like my eyes would gunk up, every 15 or 20 minutes. I was here at work and I'll tell you that was a pain in the ass.

I was reading the other day, about symptoms of exposure to brush killer. This is some serious stuff. If it's bad enough, you could cough up blood, can cause long term problems, cancer, etc.

I've been wearing a long sleeve shirt, but I know that I've had it on my fingers. Adjusting the spray nozzle is a 2 handed job, and you're going to get a drop or 2 on your fingers. If you get it on your fingers, some time or another you're going to touch your eye.

But I'll tell you what happened. I was spraying an olive bush near the edge of a field, I had the breeze at my back, I felt the wind shift and just couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

Anyway, just a reminder. What happened to me was my mistake, lesson learned. And I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

But I've got rubber gloves, safety glasses, a jug of water and all in the truck. I'm going to mix up another batch of spray in a little bit and head up on the mountain. Just a guess, there's probably about 50 autumn olive bushes out at the end of the road. It'll take me a while to cut the trees out of the road, once I get out there it should only take an hour or so to spray them all.

I've checked some of the olive bushes that I've sprayed, at the 2, 3 and 4 day mark. The leaves are still greenish and wilty looking, so they should be sending their poison back to the root system. And the rose bushes that I've sprayed are looking sick too.

4/16/23 sprayed olives on the mtn.

#28681 - 04/17/23 11:37 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

The mountain olives have been sprayed.

Note: Missed a batch below the road, north of John's camp.

I'll add more later.

#28682 - 04/17/23 01:17 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

What is the name of the chemical you are spraying them with?

#28683 - 04/17/23 04:11 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Honestly, I'm not sure. Basically it's Roundup, I think.

Tell you what the deal was, these "brush cutter" guys are always hitting me up for keys, combinations and all to different properties. Asking who owns this and that, and directions how to get there. So I asked the foreman to get me some brush killer.

As well as I remember, it was like a 4-gallon plastic jug, with maybe 1.5 gallons of spray inside. ? It was a thin jug, like milk jug plastic. So I put it into a 5-gallon plastic bucket, with a spout. I rinsed out the old jug, 3 or 4 times and dumped it all into the bucket. I'll guess I ended up with about 2 gallons total, I've only used 12 ounces so far. But the label on the old jug was eaten off.

Talking to a man the other day, I think he said Roundup was something like $80/quart now. Not positive.

Above I said that once you get an eye for olives you can pick them out from 50 feet. Bump that up to over 1/4 mile now. Yesterday, I was on a public road, I guess just the way the sun was hitting them, I could see that trash.

It's funny in a way, I'll be driving 50 MPH and spot autumn olives, they're everywhere! I'll tell you now, folks will be fighting olive brush for years and years!

The road where I was yesterday has been blocked by trees since back in December, it was a mess. I burnt a tank of gas through my saw and a good bit more.

A while back we had a discussion about ash trees, I found a few ash sprouts that are up, 8 or 10 feet tall. Nice looking little trees. Also found a batch of pawpaw sprouts, they've never been that high on the mountain.

Anyway, I used 1.5 gallons of spray, I'm sure I missed some olives. Plus that one cluster below the road. They are out in bloom now, honestly, I think they have a nice smell. Otherwise, they are worthless.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.