Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28684 - 04/20/23 02:02 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'll comment about what the plants are looking like at the 10 day mark. I checked the plant's on the King's property yesterday.

The autumn olives that I've sprayed are a different shade of green. There is one cluster of olive plants, give or take it's a 30 foot circle of brush. The leaves are greenish, but a different shade, and they are covered with bloom. Maybe I didn't spray them heavy enough? I just stopped there for a few seconds, but I noticed there was a butterfly and a few honeybees buzzing around. Just my opinion, it's like the insects where there, but they didn't land and mess around there very long.

My honeybee man brought his hives back, a month or so ago? So, there are 15 or 16 good hives 1/4 mile away. It was warm enough, the bees were out. It just seemed to me, they knew something was wrong. I don't want to kill his bees.

The multiflora rose bushes that I've sprayed, they are looking dead. I hope. That's at the 10 day mark.

Killing brush is a slow process, I really won't know for sure what's dead and what's still going strong until next spring. What I need to spray again and all. But I'll keep pecking away at them.

I'll tell you this, once you get a few olive bushes and go look around, most likely you've got 5 times as many as you thought. That's exactly what I've found. Same with the rose bushes.

Talking about brush killer. Search: best 5 brush killers. I found one online the other day, forget the name, but it was $90/gallon, give or take. For a homeowner or someone with property, a gallon would go a long way.

#28685 - 04/24/23 11:04 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

4/23/23: The mountain olives below the road were sprayed, and most rose bushes on the south end.

I was on the mountain yesterday and finished spraying the olives, they were all in a little cluster, maybe in a 40 yard circle. Something like that.

Before I started spraying, I checked the ones that I'd sprayed a week before. At the 7-day mark, some of the leaves are wilty and twisted up. One thing that I did notice about the olives, I couldn't smell them yesterday, a week ago I could smell their scent.

The temperature was 46* on the mountain, maybe that was part of it? Otherwise I'd guess it's the spray working on the plants?

It's hard to describe a scent, but autumn olives have like a gentle, sweet, pleasant aroma when they are in bloom. Once you know the smell, you'll know that there are olives there someplace.

Talking about multiflora bushes, at the 7-day mark, the ones that I've sprayed are looking sick. Coming off of the mountain, if I could see 4 or 5 plants, I'd stop and spray them. Single rose bushes, I'd drive on past. I'll be back up there in a week or 2, and kind of fill in the empty spots and get them sprayed.

Thinking about it now, I've used 7 gallons of brush killer so far. I'd guess that I've sprayed about 3/4's of the autumn olives on the King's property and the farm. And around 90% of the olives on the mountain. I'm not keeping track of my time or anything like that. I'll get back out spraying as I have time, and fill in the holes. Right now it's more or less a waiting game.

#28686 - 04/26/23 11:49 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

4/26/23: I checked the autumn olives bushes on the farm today. At the 21 day mark, they are looking sick.

I went in the same gate that I did 3 weeks ago, when I first started spraying. The first bush that I sprayed, it's leaves are curled up, and it's bloom is a different color. The bloom is usually white, now it's kind of a yellow. Not much of a scent.

I looked over the bush, and kind of slapped it, I didn't smack it hard. But part of it's leaves and bloom fell off. So, I'll take that as a good sign that the spray is working.

Kind of filled in the holes, and sprayed another pint of brush killer today or so?

Moe and I hunted back on the Ratliff place this morning, that property corners with the farm. There a few autumn olives up there, not many, but I plan on spritzing them soon. Maybe tomorrow?

But, so far, the olive brush that I've sprayed, is looking sick. I just hope that I've been spraying them enough and not too much. Time will tell.

#28688 - 04/29/23 12:19 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

4/27/23. Sprayed olive bushes on the Ratliff place.

The temperature was up to 70* or so last evening. Didn't use much spray, maybe a quart?

I've been kind of filling in the holes where I've sprayed. Here and there. The olives are looking sick.

We've had some much needed rain today, so hopefully the brush killer is doing it's job.

I've missed a few bushes, but I've got most of them. Just a waiting game now.

#28700 - 05/25/23 11:37 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

5/24/23. Sprayed olive bushes at Poppie's. Poppie was my Granddad, Mom's father. The family cemetery is up there and they just set my sister Jenny's headstone the other week. Sister Barb, Jenny's oldest girl and a few of us went up on Mother's Day.

I've mentioned this before, once you get an eye for autumn olives, they just stand out.

Anyway, I used about a gallon of spray. I was spraying olives, rose bushes, posion ivy too.

We're coming up on 2 months since I started spraying olives. I'll tell you that spray is bad news for multiflora rose bushes. Wish now that I'd started this little project 20 years ago.

#28703 - 05/30/23 03:09 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Just read through this thread . Please be sure of what you are spraying. I think its round-up is not really a good answer.

Herbicide..... Glyphosate would certainly not be my choice for Autumn Olive control. A product with 2-4-D as the primary active ingredient will give you good results with out the draw backs. Both are systemic herbicides. The glyphosate is broad spectrum meaning it will kill darn near everything. 2-4-D is specific to dicots (broad leaved plants). If your spraying Round up 10' in the air your effecting a lot of plants you may not want to.

When working on autumn olive here I cut and spray. Cut the stem close to the ground and immediately spray the cut stem. I use a 35% 2-4-D solution with a 1/2 ounce dish washing soap per gallon as a surfacant. Spray the cut stump especially the cambium layer to run off.I also put some pond dye (food coloring will work) in the solution so I know where I've sprayed. Very effective

And you don't need to carry two gallons of water up an down those hills. A 1/2 gallon goes a long ways

When flowering is a good time, when developing fruits is better

Hope that helps some

#28704 - 05/31/23 12:49 PM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, the label on the jug was competely eaten off, I couldn't make out one letter. Nothing but a glue spot, where the label was.

The spray that I'm using won't kill grass. My buddy Jim's son either is or was working on a crew that was spraying power lines. He said what they used was a "generic" Roundup. He was working for a different company, but I'd assume that they are using about the same stuff.

I know the guys that work for the DOH and the railroad. They spray around road signs and all, the railroad sprays the tracks, once or twice per summer. Next time I talk to one of them, I'll ask exactly what they are spraying.

I've only mixed a pint (16 ounces) of concentrate so far. The dog jumped over the side of the truck one day and broke the junky plastic spray wand on my best sprayer. I rinsed out the old sprayer 3 or 4 times and put it into the new one. So, it's probably mixed around 100: 1 now?

The last time I sprayed, there was a poison ivy/oak plant growing up the side of one of Granddads sheds, I sprayed it. It was probably and hour later when I came back past it, it was already wilted.

I've been wearing long pants, long sleeve shirt/jacket, safety glasses and rubber gloves.

I'm just a one man crew, nobody is paying me or anything, I'm just doing it for myself and the family.

I wasn't at the farmer's workshop that my brother attended a while back. But I'll tell you what the man told him. He said that autumn olives are a pretty smart plant, it's best to lightly mist it, and let the poison do it's job.

I guess autumn olives would be like any other plant, when it gets cold the sap would go down, when it warms sap will go up. We've had some temps below freezing since I started spraying, and we've been up in the 80's or better too.

This is kind of like watching paint dry, but I've checked some of the olives that I've sprayed. Most of the plants still have their leaves, some of them are crunchy. You can squeeze a leaf between your fingers and hear it crunch. I've checked the very tip top of the branches, even the new growth, it just looks kind of wilted.

I'm not sure? But in my opinion, the longer that these dead/dry leaves hang on the plant the better.

#28705 - 06/01/23 11:41 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I went to the farm and checked the olives yesterday, it's been almost 2 months since I first sprayed, the first time. I sprayed on the farm one more time, just filling in the holes, spraying the olives that I missed.

It's hard to describe what a plant looks like and all. Some of the autumn olive leaves are yellow, I will guess maybe 1 leaf per 100. Those leaves are dead. I pulled off one leaf and when I squeezed it I heard it crunch. That leaf is dead. I pulled off another leaf and kind of rolled it up with my fingers, really it was almost like rolling up the foil wrapper that comes with a stick of chewing gum. That leaf isn't doing the plant any good.

The tip tops of the plants, they are kind of curled up, it's the newest of the new growth. Honestly, I don't think that they've grown at all. I've thought about flagging a couple bushes, but it's not like they are in my back yard where I can go check them everyday.

Above where we were talking about cutting off the olive bush and spraying the stump. I parked the truck near this one clump of olives that I've sprayed. That clump is about 30 feet X 15 feet. Surrounded by multiflora, it's a tangled up mess, with maybe 50 olive branches coming up.

I sized it up yesterday and thought about it. For one man, with my big weedeater with the brush blade, a chainsaw and a rake, I honestly don't thing I could cut it all in an hours time.

The day that I sprayed that clump of trash, I spent maybe 5 minutes spraying. Maybe only 3 minutes?

But I looked around, I really can't see any place where the "overspray" is killing anything else. The one spot where I sprayed is within 75 yards of our fruit trees, they all look good, except where the frost got them. So far I think we're good.

#28737 - 07/04/23 11:38 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

One of the guys from the WV DOH stopped by the other day, and gave me a list of the chemicals that they're using, to control brush and weeds. They spray around road signs and guardrails and all.

Round Up. Grass

Oust. Trees, root kill.

Vanquish: Broad leaf plants.

That's what they are using in this area, I will assume that they know what works.

I've searched and read about the different sprays, all of them are $100/gallon, give or take.

Three months ago I started spraying autumn olives, some of the plants I've checked and some of them I've not been back. I did flag a couple of the olives. Honestly, I don't see any new growth. I can look at an olive plant that I've sprayed, looking at it from 50 yards and see daylight through the plant. They've lost a lot of leaves.

I mentioned this above, but I won't really know which plants are dead dead until next spring. So far, I think I'm at least holding them at bay.

My daughter and I went for a Sunday drive on Sunday. Calling for storms or we'd have taken out of kayaks. I took her up to one of the local hunt clubs, she's been there lots of times when she was a kid, but we didn't get to spend much time together while she was in school and all.

Anyway, I found an autumn olive up there, so, I'll spray that plant too. We went off on the east side of the mountain, and I'll tell you the olives have competely taken over some of those small farms and pastures.

Someone, years ago spent a bunch of man hours clearing those fields.

#28739 - 07/08/23 11:33 AM Re: Autumn Olive spraying. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Search: Autumn olive control techniques explained.

I found an article the other day, they had an outdoor workshop at the "Twisted Fork Airfield", I had to search, that's in Michigan. But that article is the most informative that I've found.

A couple things that I did learn from the article. Olive seeds can stay dormant for 2 years. So, we're looking at a 3 year project.

Cutting off the bush and spraying the stumps, within 5 minutes (as quick as you can) is 100% effective. And that method is also effective in the fall.

Two chemicals that work best are: Glyphosate and Triclopyr.

Also search: Autumn olive control techniques explained Utube.

One video that I just watched is only 2 minutes long. The lady that narrates the video talks really fast, but she covers it well.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.