Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#28689 - 05/01/23 01:24 AM otter trapping question?
trapperdude Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: wisconsin
first time otter trapping and i found an area back in the woods of northern wisconsin. theres a pond on both sides of a logging road and i noticed otter tracks and slides where they went in and out of the ponds and slid across the road. the set i used was i put fish in the back of a coon bucket with a 220 set in the opening with cavens otter lure by the opening and squirted fish oil around the set also and i put the set in about 3 in of water right next to where they enter and leave. how does this set sound?

#28690 - 05/01/23 10:46 AM Re: otter trapping question? [Re: trapperdude]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I prefer trail sets for otter. The slides, dam crossings, beaver hut entrances, pinch points and the like are all places I like to set for them.

Lots of trappers make sets, such as you have described, and they have success.

Let us know what happens.

#28691 - 05/02/23 02:51 AM Re: otter trapping question? [Re: trapperdude]
trapperdude Offline
Initiate Member

unfortunately i only had 2 days to trap before season was over but itll give me more time to study for next year! i also need to find a yote trapper in wisconsin to show me some sets and teach me some tips cause my dirt holes dont produce!

#28692 - 05/02/23 03:45 AM Re: otter trapping question? [Re: trapperdude]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Don't know where you're at in WI, but you have three chances to learn from the masters. Ya got the FTA convention in June in Jefferson, the NTA in Escanaba in July, and our WTA in Antigo in Sept. Lots of demos and dudes to answer your questions. There's nothing like actually seeing a set made to fully understand not only how, but why!

Frank.

#28699 - 05/23/23 12:04 AM Re: otter trapping question? [Re: FLSH ETR]
trapperdude Offline
Initiate Member

i was hoping to find someone to actually meet up with him to spend a couple hours showing me the ropes? im in central wis.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.