Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#28693 - 05/15/23 11:36 AM New Life for an old truck.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Years ago I bought myself a pickup, it's a 1987 Chevy stepside. V-8, 4 speed. I bought it used, as well as I remember it had about 50K miles on the odometer?

Friend of mine was a car salesman at one of the local car lots. I told him what I was looking for, and my price range. I told him that I wasn't in a big hurry, but just to keep his eyes open for me. About a month or so later, one of his guys stopped by and handed me a set of keys. He said, let's go take if for ride.

A buddy of mine built me a nice front bumper, combination brushguard/deer knocker, with a winch.

I drove the truck for years. I had the engine rebuilt at 100,000 miles. Now the odometer is at 156,000 give or take.

I bought myself another truck, and just parked the stepside. The 87 was running smooth when I parked it, but it was just rusting apart. Our vehicles need to be state inspected every year. It got to the point where I was patching my patches.

It was a tough dependable truck!

I'll bet there's been over 100 people that have asked about buying it. Nobody ever made me a decent offer, so I kept it. The main reason that I kept it, back at the time I had a 1985 3/4 ton. And Dad's truck is a 1986 3/4 ton. So, if we need parts, we've got parts.

A while back my brother and I were talking, people were pestering him about the truck too. Long story short. He posted a couple pictures of the stepside on Facebook Market place. A local boy offered him $1,500. My brother asked me it that was ok? I told him to sell it.

Anyway, they've been tinkering with the thing. They're going to spend some money fixing it up, and who knows how much TLC. But it'll be nice to see it back on the road.

#28694 - 05/16/23 01:24 PM Re: New Life for an old truck. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I bought a 89 Chevy 1/2 ton new. Drove it 10 years, and sold it to my brother for $2,000. He drove it since '99 until he died last fall. I inherited the truck. Sold if for $1,700, after all those years. Only truck I ever sold twice.

Edited by Hal (05/16/23 03:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Had the years messed up.

#28695 - 05/17/23 01:31 PM Re: New Life for an old truck. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm sorry to hear about your brother, I didn't know.

About these older trucks, if you can keep in on the road for 30 years, that's pretty darned good!

My 87 Chevy had a good heater, defroster. The little flipper windows and floor vents. Crank up and down windows, and a sliding back glass. Simple and easy to use. And it does have a very good AM/FM radio too.

For the places that I go and things that I do, it was just about perfect. Could haul a 4-wheeler, my boat, 2 canoes, whatever I'd need. And it would turn on a Dime.

I've been in some of these new pickups, everything is electric, push button, with cameras all over the place. I'll bet there won't be many of them still on the road 10 or 15 years from now. Just too much junk to go bad.

My daughter Kim and I went for a ride on Mother's Day, when we went by the place where they're working on my old truck, we could see 2 guys out there tinkering around. I turned around and went back and talked to them for a minute. They've already sand blasted the frame and have it primed. The cab is sitting there in the driveway. They're going to spend some money on the thing, but it'll make the boy a nice truck.

Then maybe I can buy it back.

#28696 - 05/18/23 10:17 AM Re: New Life for an old truck. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
"Then maybe I can buy it back."

Now that is funny! And true!

Spent yesterday in the bush with partner checking marten boxes and finding beaver colonies.

We were in his new Tacoma. Dang thing spent the day beeping. Too close to the lines on the road. Seat belt. Door. There was always something. Partner now talks to his truck .... He's saying "I know, I know ... give me a second." Or "I had to cross the line a little - there was someone on the shoulder ..."

Plus he's always checking out the gas use graph. We were up to 22 L./100km. That is stressing at $1.65 a liter. The bike and trailer are not that trucks' friend.

As much as I like my old Tacoma, I miss my Rangers.

#28697 - 05/19/23 12:56 PM Re: New Life for an old truck. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I read your comment yesterday, I've been thinking. The trucks that are being made today, they are just not made for offroad.

Talking about that beeper thing in your partner's truck, I couldn't put up with that thing. You might be able to find out online, which fuses to pull? Should be in the manual too. Not sure if the dealership would disarm all of that stuff? Maybe because of the insurance and all? Maybe a piece of duct tape would work?

Same way with the seatbelt Beeper. I don't have a vehicle with that stuff, if I did I'd go to the junk yard and buy 2 buckles. Or pull out the fuse.

My buddy Moe bought himself a new F150 last year. The seatbelt beeper is about the same. The first time that I drove the truck (we were deer hunting) I dropped Moe off. I drove up the main farm lane, there is another lane that cuts off hard to your right. I swung wide, cut it hard, down over the bank, Ding Ding Ding. The screen on the dash popped on. Ding Ding Ding.

There was a little clump of weeds, just left of the tire track, deed honest not much bigger than a gallon jug. I could see the weeds. Thinking to myself, I'm driving a $40,000 4-wheel drive, it should be able to handle it. So, I drove over it. Ding Ding Ding. Moe will agree that the turning radius of that truck sucks.

It'll do the same thing, just going across a waterbreak in the road.

It's Moe's truck and he likes it, I'll keep my opinion to myself!

A while back I bought my buddy Ronnie's old hunting rig. It's an F250, V-10, 5 speed. First Ford that I've ever owned, but it's a good solid truck and runs smooth. So, I should be good to go for a while.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.