Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28723 - 06/26/23 10:45 AM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
There is no outfitter along our river. Some have tried to rent canoes/kayaks along larger rivers but they go belly up. The demand is not there.

We have the same canoe camping trip lined up this year. It is a 4 km. paddle after a 30 km. dirt road drive. We are looking forward to it.

It's still super smoky today. Yesterday was pretty bad. Hopefully, the announced rain will finally arrive.

#28724 - 06/26/23 05:12 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
My daughter and I were out yesterday, she was exploring, I was just the tour guide. I had her up on top of the world, forget, about 3,300 feet? Visibility was better than 30 miles.

Beautiful day to be out.

We could see it raining here and there, we got a sprinkle on us, for like 5 minutes. Almost like a bunch of thunder storms here and there. Some areas got pounded.

I guess about the outfitters, it's just like all of us, we've got our own kayaks and canoes and boats. I think we have 3 outfitters on the big river here.

#28725 - 06/27/23 01:11 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yeah, we've got an unhealthy warning with the smoke pouring down the west side of lake Michigan. Yesterday was gray and hazy, with today forecasted to be worst, and really no end in sight. Bad news is that I got back from a trapper's convention and the grass really needs cutting. So I'll be out in the bad air taking care of business. Might try a mask.

Frank.

#28726 - 06/27/23 09:50 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: FLSH ETR
Might try a mask.

Frank.

I wore one last Sunday. It made a difference. My sore throat stopped.

#28727 - 06/27/23 09:51 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Offline

Well they've up graded the unhealthy to very unhealthy. I finished my lawn chores in about an hour and a half. I did wear a mask, but not the kind we had to wear during the covid crap, which a lot of folks didn't wear them correctly anyway. I used the kind I use when I'm making wood dust. Don't know if that will catch the smoke particles, but I feel good in the lungs. Eyes burn a little though. Looks like a London fog right now. Ain't gonna be much better tomorrow!

Frank.

#28728 - 06/28/23 09:28 AM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

We had a decent rain fall most of the night. The air seems clearer and so does the truck. The amount of soot on vehicles is quite noticeable.

This too shall pass.

#28729 - 06/28/23 12:01 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Talking about our rainfall, I'll tell you this real quick. Last fall I had my buddy Moe order me a rain gauge. I had one, forgot about it and it was full water and froze hard as a bull turd, for about a week. It didn't survive the thaw.

The one I have now, it's a Stratus brand. The top of the funnel is about 4" across, and you can read it right down to the hundredth of an inch. It was $30 and should last for years.

Our sky is hazy this morning. I looked at the river yesterday, the water is up 2 feet or better now, compared to the first time that Kimberly and I kayaked. I've been hearing rumors of folks getting 4, up to 5 inches of rain quick! Looking at the river, someone got hammered.

#28730 - 06/28/23 08:25 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Pretty bad smoke here today.

#28731 - 06/28/23 09:24 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yesterday, 20 miles west of here, was recorded the highest, worst ever, in the history of the Country, terrible air quality. The news even mentioned, at that time, it was the worst in the world. Some folks mentioned ash falling like snowflakes. Funny how the smoke of several fires can gather in that one spot, hundreds of miles away from the flames itself. Ventured out today for groceries. Hazy, like a foggy day. Then did inside stuff. Got the whole fandamly here on the fourth for a cookout. Hope the wind changes direction by then. I'll be making enough smoke trying to grill food!

Frank.

#28733 - 06/30/23 10:29 AM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

We had a few days of rain and the smoke is pretty well gone. I wonder if the ash particles in the smoke are beneficial to plant growth?

We never hear of acid rain anymore. It seems to have gone the way of the ozone layer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.