Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#28734 - 07/01/23 01:47 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'm glad to hear that you got some rain.

Today is Saturday, think it was Thursday, our air was smoky. At one time visibility would have been less than a mile, 3/4's or so? But it does change by the hour.

The sky was fairly clear yesterday and last evening. We're a little bit smoky today.

Search: Wood ashes for the garden. Lots of good reading.

Years ago my brother had the soil tested in our garden. I think he had it tested at the ASCS office? I don't remember the exact details, but I remember that the report said, Don't add more wood ashes. That was Granddad's garden, and I guess he'd dumped his ashes in the garden for 75 years.

Just thinking about wood ashes, like around in a fire pit. You can look at the ashes when the fire is out, they might be 8 or 10 inches deep. Check it again a week later, they might be half that deep. Give it a good rain or 2, and they are almost gone.

I know that Canada has a short growing season, but it will be interesting to know when you'll start to see new growth in the areas that have burnt. Give it 4, 6 or 8 weeks, I'd bet the ground will be green. The ferns, grass, birch and all.

#28735 - 07/01/23 02:29 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Wood ashes in the garden: It's a good source for potassium and calcium, but boy oh boy is it basic in nature. You can make lye by leaching wood ashes with water. Too many wood ashes on your garden and you will alter the ph way too far on the basic side. When that happens it is hell to bring the soil back up to normal. It is not hard to reduce the acidity of of the soil, lime or wood ashes will do the trick, but it is hard to go the other direction. There is no quick fix to make soil more acidic.

#28736 - 07/02/23 01:07 PM Re: Canadian Smoke, 2023. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, we got 0.10 inches of rain last evening, the sky is a little bit hazy but I can pick out the ridges on the mountain.

If a person would want to have a really nice garden, you should have the soil tested. Think about it, farming a garden is expensive. And that's not including your time.

Most folks usually just dig up the spot they have and hope for the best.

Talking about lye, years and years ago I watched my Mom's family make lye soap. Mom was the youngest of 11 kids. I don't remember who butchered the beef? But as well as I remember, they rendered the tallow in an iron kettle. I guess you'd just cook it slow and easy, pick out the chunks for the chickens and the dog.

And they had a trough, just 2, inch boards nailed together to make a V shaped trough. Thinking about it now, they probably soaked the trough in the cow's water trough overnight, to let the joint seal up good.

I was just a kid, but as well as I remember, they had the trough set up over the kettle, with just a slight slope. Thinking about it now, they probably used hot water from a kettle and just let it seep through the ashes. Ashes will soak up a lot of water, and just let it dribble into the kettle of tallow.

Not sure?, but they may have had a rag or something at the end of the trough? Just to keep the ashes out of the tallow? Not sure.

They didn't measure anything, it was just the years and years of combined experience of Mom's family. I'm sure at one point, Grammy and the girls said something like: That should be enough.

Just an old time way of life.

Do a search: Lye soap.

Next time I go up Mom's homeplace, I'll snoop around in the buildings, the old trough might still be there? Most folks would think that it's just 2 boards nailed together.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.