Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28768 - 08/06/23 11:16 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
The good thing about screws is that you can easily remove them and readjust if necessary. They, also, don't seem to work out as much as nails.

#28769 - 08/07/23 11:38 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Ok, I was thinking that they make some type of "spring loaded, magnetic screw holder". Similar to a socket, that will still let you screw it in flush.

I have magnetic bits, some are and some are not. But when you're off balance and using just one hand it's a pain in the butt to get a screw started sometimes. Most times!

Last evening I searched: Drill drivers. All kinds of stuff popped up. One thing that I thought was interesting, it was a short video, from Senco. They had and extension for the drill, and like belt-fed screws, kind of a push button deal. The way it was made, a man could stand up and put down deck boards.

I think the attachment was 100 bucks or so? Carpentry is a good line work, gook skill to know.

I've used those selftapping metal screws with the hex head. They sure are a big improvement over using roofing nails. Years ago everyone coming off of the roof, had a purple thumb nail.

#28770 - 08/09/23 12:31 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Talking about nail heads working out and all. About 30 years ago, I had a man build me a porch and a set of steps. It's all nailed together with a hammer.

Above I mentioned the nice wide door to Frank's shed. When Willie built my steps, he'd planned to make them 3 feet wide, and I asked him to go 4 feet. That was a good decision. I'm sure that extra foot has saved a lot of knuckles from be busted over the years.

From time to time the nail heads work up, as they do I've replaced them with deck screws.

I remember one day, Willie and I were taking a break, lunch break or something? He and I were talking, and he said: Tim, I wish I had a Penny for every nail I've drove with that hammer.

I guess that's about the time that these pop guns took over.

#28781 - 09/12/23 04:06 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Well here ya go folks, the final product, complete with a little gingerbread. Still have to fell, buck, split, and fill the thing, but still too hot for that kind of activity. I also included a pic of my camp so you'll get a feel for the layout.

#28782 - 09/12/23 09:04 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Well done!

#28784 - 09/14/23 11:46 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

The shed looks very nice. Deed honest, I wouldn't leave the saws out in the weather.

#28802 - 10/17/23 06:11 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Here's a curiosity. This small chunk of tree has been sitting in this same spot for a couple of years. It's in the garage at my house. Some kind of little critter has been living inside the chunk. You see the little piles of saw dust from the tree. I occasionally blow it clean, but still comes back so what ever is in there still lives. It's been drilling for a couple of years. Any thoughts on what it could be?

#28807 - 11/03/23 11:13 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Offline

Well here ya go folks! Had my kids up at camp helping with making wood.(kids? they're in their 40s and 50s!!) I'm figuring we made two face cords. I did all the chain sawing, they did all the bending over to pick up! Hydraulic log splitter took the brunt of work, but still needed to handle the chunks. I know I've got three more maples to fell next visit. Hope the snow holds off till that task is completed.

#28810 - 11/04/23 04:12 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Looking good! Leave some big ones so you'll have "all nighters."

#28812 - 11/05/23 01:29 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Looks good. Stay warm.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.