Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28873 - 02/12/24 09:20 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Just spent a week at the cabin. Had to bring in trees I had felled last time but was unable to buck and haul the chunks into camp. Filled my cargo trailer, parked it, and hauled in more with just my truck. Used my 30 ton splitter and filled the wood shed. Still room for more, but I believe we have 3 years worth of wood for heat now.

#28874 - 02/13/24 10:48 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Looks great!

I am not "doing" any firewood this year. I have to lower the inventory.

I miss it. But my back doesn't!

#28875 - 02/13/24 03:12 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea, I hear ya about the back. The stack on the right side was done last time by my kids. That was one trailer load they split and stacked. Didn't realize just how much work that was until I did the left and rear stacks this past visit by myself. That's a lot of bending over and lifting. Used to split all by hand so the machine makes it a lot easier. But, still gotta do the bending and lifting. Rested for a couple of days after, doing some plinkin' with a new pewer, but I still love making wood!

#28877 - 02/14/24 10:58 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That is a pretty stack of wood. I can see daylight through the stack and the end of the shed, so it's getting plenty of air. Never know, after this coming summer, I figure it'll all be cured about the same?

I'm sure that would have made a big difference, if you'd have had a helper or 2. Figure when the block splits, half of it is going to fall on the other side of the splitter. Some probably needed split again, a time or 2 or 3.

Two or 3 guys working together can accomplish so much more, than one man can alone. If you switch off, from time to time, using different muscles and all, and the end of the day you're still good to go. You might be tired, but you won't be beat.

I've looked at your construction, it's built to last. Cabin and shed. I'd make sure to tell the kids/grandkids, use all the wood you need, replace what you use. You'll never run out.

#28879 - 02/15/24 11:08 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
I'd make sure to tell the kids/grandkids, use all the wood you need, replace what you use. You'll never run out.

One thing I have learned about wood: if you tell someone to take the camp fire wood from pile "X" they'll take your best house wood from the closest location.

#28880 - 02/15/24 05:04 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea, I hear what you're saying Brian. But I've included my kids (kids? geez, two of them are in their 50's, and one is close behind) in all my important decisions, which include firewood. I've got split poplar that are felled my Ma Nature. Use this for campfires. Thinking about starting a stack down the middle of the wood shed, to use in the cabin for starters in the morning. They burn quick, and hot, but don't last long. Good enough to start the bed of embers. My kids follow the rules, as they've seen the 'wrath of dad'! grin

#28883 - 02/21/24 03:31 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I agree with Musher's firewood theory. I guess to some people, firewood is firewood. Thinking about my Granddad's wood pile and stacks. He had wood for the kitchen cook stove, wood for the bigger stove and fireplace wood. And always had a box of rich pine sticks, split up small for fire starters.

I don't heat with wood, but I have a lot of friends that do. I was out the other day, noticed a rich pine snag along the trail. I wasn't pushed for time, so I figured I'd saw it off and bring it home. It was a small snag, a little over your head, but it was solid.

I cut it up in little blocks and loaded it on the truck. Had maybe a total of 75 pounds? I gave it to my friends. We're not there yet, but we're coming up on that time of year, where a person can kind of let the fire burn down during the day. Then fire up the stove good for the night. Nothing works better to get a flame going than a couple little sticks of rich pine.

Give them 5 minutes, in a bed of hot coals, and you'll have a fire.

While we're talking about firewood, I'll remind everyone, that's a dangerous job.

About a year ago, my buddy Wardney was out and broke his arm. He wasn't running a chainsaw at the time, he was unloading. I talked to him the next day, he just got tired, kind of winded himself, got his feet tangled up and down he went. He broke both bones in his forearm, just above his wrist.

Wardney is 80-couple years old now, and it's really slowed him down. Still doesn't have much strength in his strong hand.

I talked to him yesterday, he's to have a heart valve replaced tomorrow, in Morgantown, WV. He'll be in good hands.

I'll tell you this too. It's only been 6 or 8 weeks ago, a man was killed cutting timber in a right-of-way, for a power line or gas line? That happened just across the state line in VA.

You can't be too careful!

#28884 - 02/23/24 01:28 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, talking about Wardney. But since I told you about his arm, figured I'd tell you the rest of it.

Wardney's son in law, Danny called me from the hospital Wednesday morning, about 9:30 and said everything went according to plan. I got word yesterday, he's back home now.

Cut and split firewood is expensive around here now. It happens every winter, people think: Well, that should last the rest of the winter. It's not even March, and I know of 3 different folks that are looking for wood.

#28885 - 02/23/24 06:14 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

It can be cut and split, but is it dry? Wood that "boils" ,instead of burning, can be frustrating.

#28886 - 02/24/24 08:00 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I'm sure. I've seen green firewood drip from the bottom and then steam and boil the sap out.

My opinion, every stove has it's own little combination. A special little knack. About anyone can go build a fire, and get the camp warm. But there is a kind of skill, instinct as to how to keep it warm. And have the stove hold fire till morning.

We don't want the camp up to 90* at night and then down in the 40's at daylight. There's a difference between making heat, and making ashes.

I really think, even for an skilled wood burner, it's going to take a while till you have it down pat. I mean going to a new stove, new camp or house, and spending a few nights.

Thinking about it now, I was fortunate to have spent a good bit of time with my Granddad and watching. I was just a wide-eyed kid, taking it all in.

Put the green wood on top, it'll burn tonight or tomorrow. If the fireplace gets out of hand, kill the flame with a couple scoops of ashes.

Thinking about Poppie's fireplace, 50 years ago I'd go to the tater bin and get 3 or 4 nice potatoes, wrap them in foil and cover them with red hot coals. At supper time they were ready, the best spuds ever!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.