Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28747 - 08/02/23 09:38 PM Oh-- wood I !!
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Back in 2011, when I purchased the land for our camp site, I had to clear a portion of it for the cabin. In doing so, I found a clump of pines with a hollow area in the middle of it. Probably sixteen square. I dubbed this area, the 'log room'. I collected many pines in the clearing job, bucked, and stacked the chunks between the trees in the log room to season. Covering the tops of the racks with tarps. Since then, many of the trees have fallen, leaving the small hollow area to be more of a clearing. Need to upgrade. So I built a wood shed. Used the floor area of a metal shed that Ma Nature took down with an huge snow load. The floor consists of compacted sand, a metal grid, and exterior plywood. Roughly ten by twelve. Hauled to camp my list of pressure treated lumber, and constructed the structure. Took three days to construct. Still waiting for the metal roofing to come in, and the temps to cool down. I'll post a pic when finished.

#28754 - 08/03/23 01:15 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Nice looking wood shed.

I take it that you'll leave the air holes in the walls.

Last that I heard, metal prices have came down a little bit, but still very expensive. I'm sure that lumber was high dollar too.

#28755 - 08/03/23 07:10 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea, I believe my design will allow enough air circulation for seasoning without worrying about snow and rain slowing the process. My only concern is that it's an open shelter for critters, snakes, and wasps nests! And yea, the lumber was not cheap. But hey, wood don't grow on trees ya know!!?? grin

Frank- the carpenter.

#28756 - 08/04/23 12:49 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, looks like a good design. Just thinking, if you haven't already, it would probably be a good idea to build a few shelves.

A place to store the wasp/hornet killer, mouse traps and a snake hoe. Could also store your timber chains, gas and oil and all.

Looks like it'd make a good skinning shed too. Could hang a deer, at least keep the rain/snow/sun off the meat.

One thing that I noticed, looks like you have a nice wide door. Not sure how far the wood shed is from the camp? You've seen these 2-wheeled carts, that you can pull or push. Those things will haul 3 or 4 hundred pounds, that would be more than a days supply of firewood. Or a wheelbarrel. Would save a lot of trips.

#28757 - 08/04/23 01:42 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Looks good. That should keep your wood dry. I wouldn't have used pressure treated lumber for that.

#28758 - 08/04/23 02:07 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea Tim, I've got a large shed that houses all of the suggestions you mentioned. I made the wood shed entry opening four feet wide. Don't need to bang elbows carrying wood, in or out. And I've got one of them little garden trailers that I tow with one of the ATV's. It's only a hundred feet or so to the cabin from the wood shed, but that little wagon will save many foot steps. Now I have to make some wood. Last early winter I girdled several maple trees so they would start the seasoning process while still on the stump. Well I checked them out recently and it did not work. Them trees are fully foliated. I thought I got through the cambium layer, but maybe not. I'll still fell them this fall/winter.

Frank.

Edited by FLSH ETR (08/04/23 02:08 PM)

#28764 - 08/05/23 10:15 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Looks good. Now you have to fill it!

#28765 - 08/06/23 02:02 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

This is probably a silly question, but I'm gonna ask. Did you use mostly nails or screws?

They are constantly coming out with new tools, better design, longer lasting batteries, etc.

I'm just not up to date with the new stuff. But I see folks using nail guns, that will sink a dozen nails before a man with a hammer could put 2 down flush.

Another thing that I was thinking about. Don't they make some kind of "magnetic screw holder gizmo"? Just say, that a feller would be working off of a ladder, and you need to sink a screw at arms length. If you're using something like a 2.5 inch deck screw, they are hard to get started. It'll flip off, or just be hanging there.

I'm not sure what they'd call it? But I'd like to have one.

#28766 - 08/06/23 02:58 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

I put almost everything together with screws. And yes they do have magnetic bits.

#28767 - 08/06/23 03:09 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

I fastened all the framing/structural members with an older, Senco spike gun, the biggest one made by Senco at the time. I used 3", galvanized 'D' headed spikes. All the wall slats were fastened using Senco's staple gun. Staples with half inch crowns and inch and a half legs. And sure, they make a magnetic bit holder for drill/drivers. Some are equipped with a sleeve that slides over the screw to hold it in place while you stab it into position. When I'll install the metal roofing, I'll be using a magnetic bit to drive hex head screws. It seems the art of using a hammer is not taught anymore. No need to, it's all pop guns now. There's a method to pounding the hammer. It's all in the wrist. I've seen some of my apprentices use it like a club. All arm, from the waist on up! Terrible.

Frank.

#28768 - 08/06/23 11:16 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

The good thing about screws is that you can easily remove them and readjust if necessary. They, also, don't seem to work out as much as nails.

#28769 - 08/07/23 11:38 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Ok, I was thinking that they make some type of "spring loaded, magnetic screw holder". Similar to a socket, that will still let you screw it in flush.

I have magnetic bits, some are and some are not. But when you're off balance and using just one hand it's a pain in the butt to get a screw started sometimes. Most times!

Last evening I searched: Drill drivers. All kinds of stuff popped up. One thing that I thought was interesting, it was a short video, from Senco. They had and extension for the drill, and like belt-fed screws, kind of a push button deal. The way it was made, a man could stand up and put down deck boards.

I think the attachment was 100 bucks or so? Carpentry is a good line work, gook skill to know.

I've used those selftapping metal screws with the hex head. They sure are a big improvement over using roofing nails. Years ago everyone coming off of the roof, had a purple thumb nail.

#28770 - 08/09/23 12:31 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Talking about nail heads working out and all. About 30 years ago, I had a man build me a porch and a set of steps. It's all nailed together with a hammer.

Above I mentioned the nice wide door to Frank's shed. When Willie built my steps, he'd planned to make them 3 feet wide, and I asked him to go 4 feet. That was a good decision. I'm sure that extra foot has saved a lot of knuckles from be busted over the years.

From time to time the nail heads work up, as they do I've replaced them with deck screws.

I remember one day, Willie and I were taking a break, lunch break or something? He and I were talking, and he said: Tim, I wish I had a Penny for every nail I've drove with that hammer.

I guess that's about the time that these pop guns took over.

#28781 - 09/12/23 04:06 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Well here ya go folks, the final product, complete with a little gingerbread. Still have to fell, buck, split, and fill the thing, but still too hot for that kind of activity. I also included a pic of my camp so you'll get a feel for the layout.

#28782 - 09/12/23 09:04 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Well done!

#28784 - 09/14/23 11:46 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

The shed looks very nice. Deed honest, I wouldn't leave the saws out in the weather.

#28802 - 10/17/23 06:11 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Here's a curiosity. This small chunk of tree has been sitting in this same spot for a couple of years. It's in the garage at my house. Some kind of little critter has been living inside the chunk. You see the little piles of saw dust from the tree. I occasionally blow it clean, but still comes back so what ever is in there still lives. It's been drilling for a couple of years. Any thoughts on what it could be?

#28807 - 11/03/23 11:13 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Offline

Well here ya go folks! Had my kids up at camp helping with making wood.(kids? they're in their 40s and 50s!!) I'm figuring we made two face cords. I did all the chain sawing, they did all the bending over to pick up! Hydraulic log splitter took the brunt of work, but still needed to handle the chunks. I know I've got three more maples to fell next visit. Hope the snow holds off till that task is completed.

#28810 - 11/04/23 04:12 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Looking good! Leave some big ones so you'll have "all nighters."

#28812 - 11/05/23 01:29 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Looks good. Stay warm.

#28873 - 02/12/24 09:20 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: Hal]
FLSH ETR Offline

Just spent a week at the cabin. Had to bring in trees I had felled last time but was unable to buck and haul the chunks into camp. Filled my cargo trailer, parked it, and hauled in more with just my truck. Used my 30 ton splitter and filled the wood shed. Still room for more, but I believe we have 3 years worth of wood for heat now.

#28874 - 02/13/24 10:48 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Looks great!

I am not "doing" any firewood this year. I have to lower the inventory.

I miss it. But my back doesn't!

#28875 - 02/13/24 03:12 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea, I hear ya about the back. The stack on the right side was done last time by my kids. That was one trailer load they split and stacked. Didn't realize just how much work that was until I did the left and rear stacks this past visit by myself. That's a lot of bending over and lifting. Used to split all by hand so the machine makes it a lot easier. But, still gotta do the bending and lifting. Rested for a couple of days after, doing some plinkin' with a new pewer, but I still love making wood!

#28877 - 02/14/24 10:58 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

That is a pretty stack of wood. I can see daylight through the stack and the end of the shed, so it's getting plenty of air. Never know, after this coming summer, I figure it'll all be cured about the same?

I'm sure that would have made a big difference, if you'd have had a helper or 2. Figure when the block splits, half of it is going to fall on the other side of the splitter. Some probably needed split again, a time or 2 or 3.

Two or 3 guys working together can accomplish so much more, than one man can alone. If you switch off, from time to time, using different muscles and all, and the end of the day you're still good to go. You might be tired, but you won't be beat.

I've looked at your construction, it's built to last. Cabin and shed. I'd make sure to tell the kids/grandkids, use all the wood you need, replace what you use. You'll never run out.

#28879 - 02/15/24 11:08 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
I'd make sure to tell the kids/grandkids, use all the wood you need, replace what you use. You'll never run out.

One thing I have learned about wood: if you tell someone to take the camp fire wood from pile "X" they'll take your best house wood from the closest location.

#28880 - 02/15/24 05:04 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Yea, I hear what you're saying Brian. But I've included my kids (kids? geez, two of them are in their 50's, and one is close behind) in all my important decisions, which include firewood. I've got split poplar that are felled my Ma Nature. Use this for campfires. Thinking about starting a stack down the middle of the wood shed, to use in the cabin for starters in the morning. They burn quick, and hot, but don't last long. Good enough to start the bed of embers. My kids follow the rules, as they've seen the 'wrath of dad'! grin

#28883 - 02/21/24 03:31 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I agree with Musher's firewood theory. I guess to some people, firewood is firewood. Thinking about my Granddad's wood pile and stacks. He had wood for the kitchen cook stove, wood for the bigger stove and fireplace wood. And always had a box of rich pine sticks, split up small for fire starters.

I don't heat with wood, but I have a lot of friends that do. I was out the other day, noticed a rich pine snag along the trail. I wasn't pushed for time, so I figured I'd saw it off and bring it home. It was a small snag, a little over your head, but it was solid.

I cut it up in little blocks and loaded it on the truck. Had maybe a total of 75 pounds? I gave it to my friends. We're not there yet, but we're coming up on that time of year, where a person can kind of let the fire burn down during the day. Then fire up the stove good for the night. Nothing works better to get a flame going than a couple little sticks of rich pine.

Give them 5 minutes, in a bed of hot coals, and you'll have a fire.

While we're talking about firewood, I'll remind everyone, that's a dangerous job.

About a year ago, my buddy Wardney was out and broke his arm. He wasn't running a chainsaw at the time, he was unloading. I talked to him the next day, he just got tired, kind of winded himself, got his feet tangled up and down he went. He broke both bones in his forearm, just above his wrist.

Wardney is 80-couple years old now, and it's really slowed him down. Still doesn't have much strength in his strong hand.

I talked to him yesterday, he's to have a heart valve replaced tomorrow, in Morgantown, WV. He'll be in good hands.

I'll tell you this too. It's only been 6 or 8 weeks ago, a man was killed cutting timber in a right-of-way, for a power line or gas line? That happened just across the state line in VA.

You can't be too careful!

#28884 - 02/23/24 01:28 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, talking about Wardney. But since I told you about his arm, figured I'd tell you the rest of it.

Wardney's son in law, Danny called me from the hospital Wednesday morning, about 9:30 and said everything went according to plan. I got word yesterday, he's back home now.

Cut and split firewood is expensive around here now. It happens every winter, people think: Well, that should last the rest of the winter. It's not even March, and I know of 3 different folks that are looking for wood.

#28885 - 02/23/24 06:14 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

It can be cut and split, but is it dry? Wood that "boils" ,instead of burning, can be frustrating.

#28886 - 02/24/24 08:00 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I'm sure. I've seen green firewood drip from the bottom and then steam and boil the sap out.

My opinion, every stove has it's own little combination. A special little knack. About anyone can go build a fire, and get the camp warm. But there is a kind of skill, instinct as to how to keep it warm. And have the stove hold fire till morning.

We don't want the camp up to 90* at night and then down in the 40's at daylight. There's a difference between making heat, and making ashes.

I really think, even for an skilled wood burner, it's going to take a while till you have it down pat. I mean going to a new stove, new camp or house, and spending a few nights.

Thinking about it now, I was fortunate to have spent a good bit of time with my Granddad and watching. I was just a wide-eyed kid, taking it all in.

Put the green wood on top, it'll burn tonight or tomorrow. If the fireplace gets out of hand, kill the flame with a couple scoops of ashes.

Thinking about Poppie's fireplace, 50 years ago I'd go to the tater bin and get 3 or 4 nice potatoes, wrap them in foil and cover them with red hot coals. At supper time they were ready, the best spuds ever!

#28889 - 02/25/24 10:55 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

My wife does that to potatoes a few times a year!

#28890 - 02/25/24 11:20 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Well, at the end of the day, that's one less pot, skillet or dish that needs to be cleaned.

I'll mention this real fast. It's been a while since I've packed in and camped, hunting and all. But I've done this a couple times, you can microwave your taters, cook them done and then wrap in foil.

About all of the times I've hunted like that, we'd have a campfire. The potato is already cooked, just drop them in the fire or coals, and didn't take long to warm up.

I don't eat out very often, but you know how you'll get those little packs of butter, ketchup and mustard? I save that stuff. You've already paid for it, take it home.

Above I told you about my Granddad's fireplace, I've watched him "temper" ax handles and all. In the fireplace I mean. I forget exactly how that did work.

This was years ago, I made a handle for a little tiny ball & peen hammer. You know how you are when you're young, don't have time to wait. You've gotta get it done now.

I had the handle roughed out, I knew it would shrink a little bit. So, I figured I'd zap it for a little bit in the microwave, and temper the handle. Microwave ovens were pretty much new back at the time. (Mom didn't trust them for years).

Long story short, I put the handle in the microwave oven, gave the knob a spin and cooked it. Not sure how long it was in the stove?, but I remember when I opened the door, a big puff of steam rolled out, and that baby was HOT!

Longer story short, I don't remember how long that little piece of wood set there and steamed? Once it cooled off, I worked it down a little bit more, fitted the hammer head, cut a groove for the wedge, and put it in place.

Mom used that hammer a good bit, hanging pictures and this and that. Last time I picked up the hammer, it's still as solid as the day I put it together. That's been over 40 years ago, so that's pretty good!

#28894 - 02/26/24 08:17 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Way back when, my brother telephoned me to ask if I would help him hang a picture. I was still a student and living at my parents. Brother had just bought his first house.

Beers opened, he said that it was time to hang the picture but first he had to find the nail. Not THE nails but THE nail. He had ONE nail.

I don't even know how you can get just one nail.

That was good for a long laugh. But the best was yet to come. When he got his hammer it turned out to be one of these kit hammers. The kind that comes in a wallet. You have a wrench, screwdriver with different heads, tiny ruler and pencil. All in a plastic wallet. It's the type of thing you get in your Xmas stocking from someone that won it at bingo.

I remember telling him it was the perfect hammer for a guy with one nail.I still tease him about it.

It was nowhere near as solid as your mothers hammer.

#28896 - 02/28/24 01:43 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I know what you mean about those little Junior handyman starter kits. Pretty much just a last minute stocking stuffer.

We'll probably never solve the "Mystery of THE Nail". I figure he found the nail in a closet or the gas station parking lot?

I'll bet that was interesting watchimg him drive his nail.

We can still joke about stuff like buying a single nail, but for anyone that's bought hardware recently, the prices are no joke. A while back, I stopped at the lumber yard to get a box of 3.5 inch deck screws. I got the smallest box they had, and on the shelf they were priced at $17 or $18. I mean you can hold the whole box of screws in one hand. I thought the price was crazy.

But, I needed the screws, and I'm not going to drive all over town and waste an hour's time to try to save a Dollar.

#28901 - 03/03/24 01:05 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Guys I was out the other morning, turned off on an old mountain road, and found fresh buggy tracks. It'd had rained the night before, and they were new. No big deal, we were on a dead end road, unless you have a key-ring full of keys and a couple combinations, you're stuck.

A little bit later I found the buggy parked in the road, with a tree across the road. I didn't know the man, but he looked familiar. I pulled off to the side and behind his buggy. I could see that he had a chainsaw, he didn't see me for a little bit.

Anyway, I walked up and introduced myself, he is an older man. We talked for a little bit, just talking to him I could tell he was winded. (Like I mentioned above about Wardney). Kenny said he was 76 years old. I told him that I had my saw in the truck, but since his was already warmed up, to let me take a turn. He didn't hesitate.

When the tree fell, it took down a smaller tree, and you could tell it was spring loaded. Cutting stuff like that is dangerous. I motioned for him to back up and stay in the clear. Anyway, we cut the tree out of the road, no harm done.

Kenny had a small Stihl saw, I just glanced at it, but I think it was a Stihl 019. It was sharp, cutting good, but you couldn't horse it. For a buggy saw, it did the job.

I have a Stihl 026 Pro that I haul around in the truck. It's a good little saw.

Kenny and I were doing the same thing, pulling traps. They were calling for bad weather the next day, and wind gusts up to 50 MPH.

Just happened to bump into each other later, he showed me a set of shed deer antlers, big horns! Kenny grows whitetail deer, on his farm. High fence area.

Long story short, I'm invited to his farm to talk trapping and inspect the herd. I'm looking forward to that, and looking at his handmade cage traps.

#28902 - 03/03/24 11:23 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

It's nice when random events turn into good times.

Tell us about these "high fence" areas. What is that? He farms wild deer?

#28903 - 03/03/24 04:38 PM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I'm not sure how that works? I'll bet there is a pile of red tape and paperwork involved. Probably enough tape to stretch from here to your house!

The way I understand Kenny's operation, he farms deer. Don't think you can hunt on his property, then he'll sell them to other "high fence" operations where you can hunt. For big money.

A few years ago, Wardney and I went to a taxidermist's shop to drop of a bear hide, I think. The taxidermist is a good friend, about the same age as me, and he's good.

We were just snooping around, looking at the antlers and bear skulls he had laying around, I asked if he'd taken in any really nice bucks. He took us across his driveway to his other shed, where he keeps his freezers and does most of his work.

As well as I remember, there were 12 or 15 sets of antlers, still on the skull plate. He said they all came from the High Fence area. Some of them were up 24, 26 inches wide or better. Bucks bigger than you'll ever see around here.

Tommy told us that when they first built their "high fence" area, the DNR made sure that there were no, local wild deer on the property. Checked the fence and the property when snow was on the ground.

I think back at the time, the folks that own the place would charge 8 or $10,000 to hunt. Fancy lodge and food and all.

I'll never be inside the fence.

#28916 - 03/13/24 11:52 AM Re: Oh-- wood I !! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Above I told you about the tree that Kenny and I cut out of the road and all. The landowner where the tree fell is a good friend and he burns wood. So, I left him a message. It was a good healthy tree, just the wind took it down.

I talked to the landowner the other day, he said he got all of it except for the bottom 2 or 3 blocks. That tree would have made 3 nice saw logs. He said it was solid to the stump.

But with it laying flat on the ground, it doesn't take long before it'll start to get "punky". Talking about how soft our ground is now, the mailman keeps record of our precipitation. I talked to him yesterday, since the first of 2024, we've had 5.55 inches. And that's only been 10 weeks. We've been wet.

We've been having some really strong winds, that has helped dry up the mud. I think it started last Saturday, but we had snow flurries for a day and a half. It didn't amount to much here in town, but the mountains got 3 or 4 inches. With the freeze/thaw conditions, the ground is soft.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.