Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog
 
Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#28822 - 11/14/23 08:59 PM Trapline Surprise
Hal Offline
Moderator

Registered: 07/17/00
Posts: 10236
Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Found this giant puffball on the trapline today. May be the biggest one I ever found.
_________________________
Endeavor to persevere.

Top
#28823 - 11/15/23 02:07 PM Re: Trapline Surprise [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content
Moderator

Registered: 06/11/06
Posts: 3020
Loc: WV
That is a big puffball. Did you weigh and measure it?

Seems like it's been a really bad year for mushrooms in this area. We were cool in the spring, Morels didn't do much. And since then we've been so very dry, the brown mushrooms, "leatherbacks". The one's with white milk, they didn't do much either.

I did find 2 of the "chicken of the woods" mushrooms. They are edible, but both of them were past their prime and drying up. I've never eaten them.

Let me ask, is your big puffball edible? Some are and some will make you sick.

Top
#28824 - 11/15/23 09:03 PM Re: Trapline Surprise [Re: Hal]
Hal Offline
Moderator

Registered: 07/17/00
Posts: 10236
Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Perfectly edible. I ate enough last night to pert-a-near make myself sick, but it didn't kill me. smile
_________________________
Endeavor to persevere.

Top
#28825 - 11/16/23 01:34 AM Re: Trapline Surprise [Re: Hal]
redsnow Online   content
Moderator

Registered: 06/11/06
Posts: 3020
Loc: WV
As well as I remember, I've never eaten a puffball.

Also remember, years ago there were a bunch of them in a pasture, up near Seneca Rock, WV. Friend of mine brought one in to show me one day.

Pretty sure that I've mentioned this before, in another thread, maybe 5 years ago? Mom loved to hunt for mushrooms and she was good at it too. Anyway, Mom got a bad one, she was sick, very sick, and that pretty much stopped her from eating mushrooms!

It's about the same with everything, if you eat or drink too much, you're probably going to get sick. Or at least feel bad for a while.

Seems to me that mushrooms have a very short "shelf life". Might be good today, tomorrow it's too far gone.

Top

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

 
Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.
 
Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.