Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28860 - 01/29/24 12:35 PM 2024 Work Force.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
The other day the weather forecast was calling for 100% chance of snow during the night and 100% chance for the next day. The Dept. of Highways had pretreated the main roads. School had already been cancelled. It hadn't really started to snow yet, but you could feel it coming.

I was here at work that evening, two young boys were here. They are 10 or 12 years old or so? Mabye a little bit older? They both knew that school had been cancelled. We were talking, I asked: Are you boys going to be out shoveling sidewalks in the morning? They both answered at the same time. The one boy said: No. The other one said: Not me.

I was thinking about it as they left, when I was their age, I'd have been out shoveling sidewalks and all.

Later that evening, I was chatting with my cousin Evelyn. I introduced Evelyn once before, her granddad was my uncle. Her branch of the family lives 100 miles or so west of here.

Anyway, I told her about the 2 boys, and told her at today's prices, they could have probably made $50, $75 or maybe 100 bucks. Just shoveling.

We talked about the odd jobs that we had when we were kids. Evelyn said she cleaned houses, and would babysit, gather eggs and pick berries. Just so she could have a little bit of money.

Evelyn told me that last summer she tried to find someone to weedeat around her house. Said she'd asked several local boys, none of them were interested. And the bad thing is, Evelyn offered to pay $20 per hour, and she was going to furnish the mower, gas and all.

It makes me wonder what these boys expect to earn when they are adults.

#28861 - 01/29/24 07:43 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have an eleven year old grandson. He has a skate sharpening business. His father financed the machine and the son makes monthly payments. Grandson also is a score keeper for a garage league. He gets $100 for three games.

A person that doesn't work isn't hungry. This includes children. Why work when they have everything they want?

#28862 - 01/30/24 02:58 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That sounds like a great deal for the young man, all the way around. Where you live, knowing how to properly sharpen skates would be a good skill to know.

Probably the most important lesson that he'll learn is how to manage his money.

I know you're proud of the boy and you have good reason.

#28863 - 01/30/24 03:42 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I'm thinking the father doesn't really need the money paid back, only to teach the kid lessons in money managing. Dad ought to start an IRA account for the kid on the sly with the paid back money. If the kid can keep it up from eleven to retirement, that ought to give the kid a nice nest egg! Jussayin'.

#28864 - 01/31/24 11:20 AM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

The father doesn't need the money paid back. But it will get paid back!

The money earned is invested for school.

I am proud of my grandson. But I am more proud of my daughter for marrying a guy that is a good father!

#28865 - 02/01/24 01:04 AM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm, you didn't give us much room to comment, but I'll go at it.

Seems to me that you are a very lucky father and granddad. Very fortunate to have a, (how would you say it?) good, responsible, leader and all to teach the young man.

Hard to explain.

But at the end of the day, it's ok to be dirty and smell like a goat. You've earned your money and finished the job. Nobody can say a bad thing about a working man.

#28904 - 03/04/24 11:20 AM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

The families are up for a holiday. I asked Dad about the skate business. He says that son is making the payments but doesn't clear much more. The son went to dad with a new proposition. Each skate sharpening requires a new disc. The discs cost $1.75. Son wanted to give dad $1.25. Dad asked son, "ok but what's in it for me?" No answer! The young guy hadn't thought about that part of the negociation.

What Dad wants son to figure out is to ask to lower his payment. Make it a fixed one (such as $15.00 per month) as opposed to a % one where Dad gets a cut of every pair of skates sharpened. It is an interest free loan, after all!

We'll see what happens. Dad doesn't want to seem like the government giving interest free loans!

#28905 - 03/04/24 06:02 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm actually at a loss to think it costs $1.75 for materials per sharpening. Somebody need to teach the kid "surcharge". smile

#28906 - 03/04/24 09:41 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

I misunderstood.

Grandson charges $5 to sharpen a pair of skates. He has to give his father one dollar per pair he sharpens. (That is where the $15 month idea comes in.)

The sharpening disc is good for 60 pairs. About $1.75 per pair. However, he has to buy the disc and pay for it prior to sharpening. He is still on his first disc.

The machine costs $1400. It's going to take some time to make money or a lot more skates to be sharpened.

#28907 - 03/04/24 10:29 PM Re: 2024 Work Force. [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
$15 a month is a year long commitment. What's going to happen when sharpening ice skates goes down the same summer road as trapping?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.